1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Why science unable to control Death ?

Discussion in 'Science and Religion' started by chinu, Dec 25, 2015.

1. gnostic

gnostic The Lost One

Ratings:
    +3,772
    Religion:
    Pi π
    What would be the point of living longer, if you are confined to a bed or wheel chair, or being attached to a machine or breathing apparatus?

If I can't do anything if I lived passed 100, perhaps living another 50 to 100 years, and be as healthy and fit at the same time, then that's not really living.

• Like Like x 1
  2. outhouse

outhouse Atheistically

Ratings:
    +1,882
    Why science unable to control Death ?

Why religion unable to control life???????????????????????

• Like Like x 1
  3. Demonslayer

Demonslayer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,002
    Religion:
    None
    Why God hate abortion but cause miscarriage?

• Like Like x 3
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,293
    Some people are probably naive regarding environmental side-effects pricesly because technology has improved their lives. Most people seem to just want to get on with their lives or feel powerless to "make a difference" (including yourself) and to be honest I can't really blame them.

At the end of the day, I honestly don't know what the answer is. Reducing the human population would probably be the most effective option, but I believe people who advocate such measures should be willing to go themselves, which most probably aren't. :shrug:

5. Thana

Thana Lady

Ratings:
    +754
    Well, I don't believe in suicide so I wouldn't advocate a culling, voluntary or no. But then the alternatives aren't much better really.
    Who knows, I don't have the answer either.

6. Straw Dog

Straw Dog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +548
    Any which way it flows, life finds a way.

7. ben d

ben d Being

Ratings:
    +1,002
    Religion:
    Yes
    Science, so far as I am aware, is still prospering and far from dying...who is diagnosing the demise of science?

8. Kelly of the Phoenix

Kelly of the Phoenix Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Religion:
    "Post" Christian, likely Deist
    Living wills and advanced directives can help smoothe things greatly, but they can still create family headaches if you don't agree suddenly to what's on the paper...

It's technically there. Jealous men accuse their wives of sleeping around, the priests give her a potion, the fetus dies, and since that was proof she slept around, they get to stone her!

9. gnostic

gnostic The Lost One

Ratings:
    +3,772
    Religion:
    Pi π
    You could always built yourself a pair of wings like Daedalus or Wayland did, and flap your way to work.

Of course, flapping arms would require a lot of strength and endurance. So what if your home is 10km from work?

10. Thanda

Thanda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +418
    Religion:
    LDS
    Are you saying scientists are not working on ways to ensure we can one day be free of death?

11. paarsurrey

paarsurrey Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,673
    I agree with you.
    G-d gives life to us and takes it back on an appointed time:

[39:43] Allah takes away the souls of human beings at the time of their death; and during their sleep of those also that are not yet dead. And then He retains those against which He has decreed death, and sends back the others till an appointed term. In that surely are Signs for a people who reflect.
    http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/showChapter.php?ch=39&verse=42
    Regards

12. Hockeycowboy

Hockeycowboy Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,912
    Religion:
    Christian
    It's genetic, imperfection inherited from Adam....the ends of our telomeres, located in our chromosomes, continue to shorten with age, until there is nothing left.

Then, we croak!

13. paarsurrey

Ratings:
    +1,673
    Further to Post #111.
    G-d made death inevitable, like he bestowed us life, he finishes it at a point. To create life and to end it are two attributes of G-d / Allah :
    [67:1]In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.
    [67:2]Blessed is He in Whose hand is the kingdom, and He has power over all things;
    [67:3]Who has created death and life that He might try you — which of you is best in deeds; and He is the Mighty, the Most Forgiving.

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/showChapter.php?ch=67&verse=0
    Regards

#113 paarsurrey, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  14. Harbinger of Darkness

Ratings:
    +2
    Religion:
    Atheist
    If this weren't so difficult to achieve, perhaps giving birthing restrictions of one child per person (that makes two kids per couple) to everyone on the planet would work. That way, the parents are replaced with no population net gain, if everything was all peaches and butterflies. In reality, people would die before they can reproduce, or some people would become infertile, or some people won't want children, and yet others won't find people who want to have children with them (lol). This would create a gradual decrease in population.

This is a dream however because there are people who believe in the "be fruitful and multiply" sort of thinking, or others simply need extra help on the farm and so having 13 children is a convenient source of free labor.

15. Tiapan

Tiapan Grumpy Old Man

Ratings:
    +265
    Religion:
    If I find a real one, I'll let you know!
    Death is deliberately inbuilt and necessary for evolution. We are a bunch of cells, some which must die, if cells didn't die we would be born with webbed feet and hands as the cells in that region are programmed to die during the embryonic stage, so we can have independent fingers and toes.

Following Moores law scientific advancement in the Medical field over the last century has been amazing, increasing life expectancy and quality of life by almost 50%. This process is entering revolutionary epoch of the deep understanding of genomics and biochemistry allowing further increases in Longevity and Quality of Life.This has a down side. in that the burden of supporting an aging population falls to our young, as standard of living increases child mortality decreases, so average number of children decreases per family so less children to support their elderly relatives either directly or through taxes and social security. We may live longer but will eventually die.

Cryogenics may allow us to "travel" through time to some future but that is a stasis thing and actual life expectancy may not be greatly increased.

Ray Kurzweil suggests there may come a day when we can basically put our "consciousness" on a computer, surviving indefinitely until some one pulls the plug or forgets to back us up.

Cheers

16. paarsurrey

Ratings:
    +1,673
    Is it a reality?
    By the way: "If I find a real one, I'll let you know!"
    Haven't you found it yet?Please
    Regards

17. paarsurrey

Ratings:
    +1,673
    Further to Post #111, #113
    G-d made death inevitable, like he bestowed us life, he finishes it at a point. To create life and to end it are two attributes of G-d / Allah :
    [4:79]Wheresoever you may be, death will overtake you, even if you be in strongly built towers. And if some good befalls them, they say, ‘This is from Allah;’ and if evil befalls them, they say, ‘This is from thee.’ Say, ‘All is from Allah.’ What has happened to these people that they come not near understanding anything?
    [4:80]Whatever of good comes to thee is from Allah; and whatever of evil befalls thee is from thyself. And We have sent thee as a Messenger to mankind. And sufficient is Allah as a Witness.

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/showChapter.php?ch=4&verse=78
    Regards

18. LuisDantas

LuisDantas Aura of atheification
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,939
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    Sure. Just look at an embryo.

19. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Coincidentia oppositorum

Ratings:
    +2,500
    Religion:
    Reality's Fool / Dual-aspect pantheist
    It's called apoptosis. Programmed cell death. And it's real.

Here's a summary from a textbook: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK26873/

20. cambridge79

cambridge79 Active Member

Ratings:
    +262
    Religion:
    atheist
    because modern science is 500 years old and modern medicine more or less 150 years old, genetics is less than 50 years old, so even if it was possible our knowledge is still too little for such an accomplishment.

But actually my problem is the opposite, how would our world change if we eventually end up being able to control or avoid death?
    imagne a world where people don't die but they still have babies, that would collapse in a couple of generation times.
    Or a world where rich people and powerful people won't die, imagine an immortal dictator of north korea.
    that's damn scary.