• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why science unable to control Death ?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
chinu post: 4559576 said:
After decades of prosperity and success,
But still science is unable to escape "Death" why ?
Because when science minded people don't have an answer to a question they say, "I don't know". This is very different from the religious minded people who make things up and then assert that they are right.
Since nobody knows why people age so inexorably, there is currently no scientific answer to how this could be changed.
Whether it should be is another question we don't have an answer to.
Tom

Timothy Bryce

I had a nurse once tell me that medical technology is so advanced today that literally anyone who is otherwise invalid can have any of their life processes artificially maintained. Except for brain function.

She told me this in the context of her perceived widespread ignorance of "non-medical people" when tragedy strikes a family member and they aren't pronounced DOA - leading to a mess of ethical, moral and emotional considerations on behalf of the family/friends involved. Personally, I'd prefer to die than to be a quadriplegic; but if I were they'd be just about nothing I could do about it.

To the OP: in some kinda perverse way, science is able to control death. Grody topic.

People seem to know, deep down, what they really want for themselves and their families in the end.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Wait twenty to fifty years. Death will by then be understood and abolished -- for those with the money.

As for historically illiterate people who think science has done nothing about death, I cannot imagine how anyone can be that ignorant of advances in science and still know how to breathe.

Curious George

Veteran Member
lack of problems?
Seems more likely that science is trading off one problem for another...
Hence the as with. I figure if people are going to blame science for most of the "problems" we have, then they shouldn't forget to thank science for most of the problems we don't have.

Thana

Lady
That is quite the slanted view of the situation. How would science be to blame instead of, say, politics or social immaturity?

Oh I'm not saying politics is innocent, But they definitely aren't responsible.

What can I say, some people are just glass is half empty kind of people. I wonder if there is a correlation with that and religion.

I prefer the awful truth to ignorance, but I don't begrudge those who don't :)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Sorry. I corrected the userlink.

Isn't the whole point of politics to take responsibility for what is done, though?

Thana

Lady
Sorry. I corrected the userlink.

Isn't the whole point of politics to take responsibility for what is done, though?

No, because although they may use things to their advantage, who wouldn't? I don't blame them for being the greedy, power-hungry ******** they are.

I blame the people who enable them and give them bigger and crueller toys to play with.

Timothy Bryce

No, because although they may use things to their advantage, who wouldn't? I don't blame them for being the greedy, power-hungry ******** they are.

I blame the people who enable them and give them bigger and crueller toys to play with.

Who are these people? The enablers I mean.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I prefer the awful truth to ignorance, but I don't begrudge those who don't :)
Perhaps one day you will realize that all that doom and gloom was just your frame of reference. One shouldn't ignore the bad, nor should one fail to recognize the good. Dwelling only on the bad is an unfortunate choice.

Thana

Lady
Perhaps one day you will realize that all that doom and gloom was just your frame of reference. One shouldn't ignore the bad, nor should one fail to recognize the good. Dwelling only on the bad is an unfortunate choice.

I think you're mistaken about me. I don't dwell on it, I just acknowledge it.

Milton Platt

Life has been greatly extended and health greatly improved over the centuries, so there has been an element of control introduced. But I think you really mean why hasn't death been eliminated. And I would have to further assume you would mean only natural death. If someone drops five tons of bricks on your head, I don't think science can help you.

All organisms tend toward death. You could argue that you begin that tendency almost from birth, because as cells reproduce over and over for years and years, more and more errors occur when the genetic copying is done to produce the next cell. Science currently knows no way to prevent this. But even if it were possible with current technology, would it be a good thing? We are already over populating the planet. Without deaths, that would drastically increase. Eliminating death would only be acceptable if you also eliminated birth.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Before eliminating death we should think of improving working of heart and increaing production of testosterone in old age (also wrinkles on face and hair on head) otherwise it is all useless.