• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why religion?

nPeace

Veteran Member
I'm not sure Islam is in here, or linked.

"Kundalini is a Sanscrit term from ancient India that identifies the arising of an energy and consciousness which has been coiled at the base of the spine since birth, and is the source of the life force (pranic energy, chi , bio-energy) that everybody knows. Yogic science suggests that this energy triggered the formation of the child in the womb, and then coils 3 ½ times at the base of the spine to hold the energy field in stasis until we die, when it uncoils and returns to its source.
-----
It is possible to find acknowledgement of this spiritual movement in many yogic and tantric traditions, Tantric Buddhism, Taoism, gnostic mystical tradition and some Native American teachings, and indigenous societies."

- What is Kundalini? — The Kundalini Guide
Thanks, but I am well aware of kundalini. I did some research on it quite a while back.
Roots though tend to spread far, we know there are many branches to a tree. I believe with a little time, I can find a link, because "awakening the spirit within one's self", is a concept, which more than likely, will be the same, even within various forms of worship.

There is some connection to Hinduism.
In Al-Islam, kundalini power is known as salaat.
The Salaat are Muslim community found in the state of Gujarat in India. They are Muslim converts from the Hindu Salaat caste.
‘Heart’ of Sufism
hinmus.jpg

With Hindus and Muslims being a close community, it's expected that various customs and teachings would be interchanged.
The practices and theological standpoints were very similar to Sufism, often blurring the distinction between Hindus and Muslims.
It's also the case that Hindus borrowed from Muslims.
Sufism emerged as a "moral and comprehensive socio-religious force" that even influenced other religious traditions such as Hinduism.

Then Muslims have roots in Buddhism.
In this jungle of religious diversity though, one can have difficulty identifying which species of trees came from which root. :(
I think there are certain distinct marks though, that help us categorize them. ;)

History is fascinating. Once I start digging, I am always intrigued at the findings.
I'm learning now of the Muslim invasion of India. New to me. I must have been living under a rock. :smiley:

nPeace

Veteran Member
Its what life is all about.
Sadly. Many have that experience. For many, they are thankful they have godly parents that teach them, so that they don't have to learn 'the hard way'.
However, some make the mistake of thinking they know a better way, and the cycle repeats itself.
Sorry you faced that.
t4527.gif

Good religion - not just any religion - helps us avoid being in that cycle. It's one of the reasons I love it, because I enjoy seeing so many young ones grow up, protected from this world. It's heartwarming to see.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
If you attribute these amazing things to "Mother Nature" then I believe that you are worshipping the wrong parent. :(
Worshiping the "wrong" parent?

We can't have more than one parent? Only one parent is actually appropriate for "worship", that's ego talking.

If we're using the parental analogy. I'd rather worship my Family then my Father alone. Things work better as a group.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Sadly. Many have that experience. For many, they are thankful they have godly parents that teach them, so that they don't have to learn 'the hard way'.
However, some make the mistake of thinking they know a better way, and the cycle repeats itself.
Sorry you faced that.
t4527.gif

Good religion - not just any religion - helps us avoid being in that cycle. It's one of the reasons I love it, because I enjoy seeing so many young ones grow up, protected from this world. It's heartwarming to see.

Nothing to do with religion. Children grow and earn independence, there are things they need to try to become adult. And in that independence and trial and error they learn or they don't and it tempers their maturity. I learned, most do, some don't

My parents are Christian and the absolute best parents i've ever had, they put parenting before religion, i try to model my parenting on their example.

One-day my children will each in turn test their boundaries, hopefully they will learn and become better adults for the knowledge and they know i will be there if they need me.

Thanks for the heart though

nPeace

Veteran Member
Yes this is true :) The energy that arise from within when we elevate on the spiritual "ladder" may be called different words according to where we live and what spiritual teaching we have taken to us.
It was my mistake to say no to the answer about kundalini based of my limited knowledge of kundalini seen from yoga and Tantra.
That's what I was thinking. ;)

nPeace

Veteran Member
Nothing to do with religion. Children grow and earn independence, there are things they need to try to become adult. And in that independence and trial and error they learn or they don't and it tempers their maturity. I learned, most do, some don't

My parents are Christian and the absolute best parents i've ever had, they put parenting before religion, i try to model my parenting on their example.

One-day my children will each in turn test their boundaries, hopefully they will learn and become better adults for the knowledge and they know i will be there if they need me.

Thanks for the heart though
Before children grow up, they are taught... or not. They are influenced... positive or negative.
These shape their thinking, character, decision making.

childdevelopment.jpg

Research during the past decade has revealed much about how children learn and develop. Studies have shown that early childhood is a time when developmental changes are happening that can have profound and lasting consequences for a child’s future. While people have long debated whether “nature” or “nurture” plays the stronger role in child development, recent studies reveal the importance of how the two influence each other as a child develops: what a child experiences and is exposed to interacts with his or her underlying biological makeup. Research has also shown that much more is going on cognitively, socially, and emotionally in young children – including infants – than scientists or care and education professionals previously knew. Even in their earliest years, children are starting to learn about their world in sophisticated ways that are not always reflected in their outward behavior. Learning and development for young children is both rapid and cumulative, continuously laying a foundation for later learning

Definitions of Early Childhood Education and Child Development

Good religion plays an important role in educating persons - children and adults. so that parents can teach their children. and children can grow up with good values, helping them to make wise decision in lif... and when they themselve grow to adulthood, they can then instill these values in their children... creating a cycle unlike the one sadly common, in the world.

MatthewA

What is the definition of Religion?

Religion : ( n. (ME religioun < OFr. or L.: OFr. religioun <L. religio; reverence for the gods, holiness, in LL. (EC.), a systm of religious belief <? Religare, to bind back <Re- back + ligare - to bind, bind together; or re + IE. base *leg- to collect, whence Gr legein, L. legere; cf. LOGIC.

1. a) belief in a divine or superhuman power or powers to be obeyed and worshiped as the creator(s) ruler(s) of the universe

b) expression of such a belief in conduct and ritual

2. a ) any specific system of belief, worship, conduct and ritual etc, even involving a code of ethics and philosophy [the Christian] religion, the Buddhist religion, etc.

b) any system of beliefs, practices, ethical values, etc., resembling, suggestive of, or likened to such a system [humanism as a religion]

3. the state or way of life of a person in a monastic order, or community [ to enter religion ]

4. Any object of conscientious regard and pursuit - get religion [Colloq.] 1. to become religious 2. to become very conscientious or earnest about something.

This a very clear definition of what religion is.

From my point of view; Religion by any individual can take (from no matter what type of religion it is) , and make demands among people that they must follow, their set and ways of how they handle things, and how they judge and how they decide on these things while teaching whatever their views are while placing burdens and bondage on people rather than helping them to be more free.

And only in the Christian Religion as far as it know the me; is about a relationship with God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, not about forced doctrines, or forced way to think, or if you do not accept my thinking you are not right, type of dogma.

According to Jesus He said this in John 8:32; and also also in John 14:6; would also comment on this scripture: 2 Corinthians 3:17.

Though many people do not understand the Christian God, or the Son of God ~ Just encourage others to go and see what is offered by them, because they are most certainly interesting to learn about, but that choice is up to the consumer. Maybe Christianity is a sham, but I do not believe so, and believe it is so that there is freedom found in Christ Jesus ~ in which we are set free from bondage. (Galatians 5:1-4) and from sin: (Romans 6:1-18). (If you disagree that is okay)

There is and has to be a reason why we are given access to the bible at all. May the Lord Jesus Christ grace be with you, the Love of God, and the fellowship of the holy spirit.

Take care, God Bless ~ Stay Safe - if you believe or do not believe. @9-10ths_Penguin Hope this helps understand a bit better.

Last edited:

TSTS

In general? I have an unverifiable personal claim that the greatest piano sonatas are those of Alexander Scriabin. Based on this I'm wondering if I have a schizoid disorder?

:)
I don't think so, since your opinion isn't contributing to your "sense of self". It's not a "personal claim".
I think it's best to read posts in context of what and whom they are/were responding to. That is, taking into account the preceding exchanges.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Before children grow up, they are taught... or not. They are influenced... positive or negative.
These shape their thinking, character, decision making.

View attachment 50540
Research during the past decade has revealed much about how children learn and develop. Studies have shown that early childhood is a time when developmental changes are happening that can have profound and lasting consequences for a child’s future. While people have long debated whether “nature” or “nurture” plays the stronger role in child development, recent studies reveal the importance of how the two influence each other as a child develops: what a child experiences and is exposed to interacts with his or her underlying biological makeup. Research has also shown that much more is going on cognitively, socially, and emotionally in young children – including infants – than scientists or care and education professionals previously knew. Even in their earliest years, children are starting to learn about their world in sophisticated ways that are not always reflected in their outward behavior. Learning and development for young children is both rapid and cumulative, continuously laying a foundation for later learning

Definitions of Early Childhood Education and Child Development

Good religion plays an important role in educating persons - children and adults. so that parents can teach their children. and children can grow up with good values, helping them to make wise decision in lif... and when they themselve grow to adulthood, they can then instill these values in their children... creating a cycle unlike the one sadly common, in the world.

Did you read my first post? I was 18

Good religion can help if taught correctly and if it is not oppressive or imposed, fundamental or literalist but it is no substitute for good parenting. Unfortunately religious teaching does tend to be more indoctrination than education.

I notice your link and description do not actually mention religion.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
:)
I don't think so, since your opinion isn't contributing to your "sense of self". It's not a "personal claim".
I think it's best to read posts in context of what and whom they are/were responding to. That is, taking into account the preceding exchanges.
Wrong. It is a personal claim. I read the whole thread. You said you were talking generally. I quoted what you said and responded as I saw fit. Patronising does not impress me.

TSTS

@Secret Chief

Wrong. It is a personal claim. I read the whole thread. You said you were talking generally. I quoted what you said and responded as I saw fit. Patronising does not impress me.

It's interesting to notice the amendments you made to the response above at #113. It's weird....

Your initial response was simply "thanks for the tip". You then amended it to "i din't know that (with a hint of sarcasm). Thank's for the tip". Now you have completely deleted that post and instead posted a new one. Kind of raises some questions on your intent and need for doing all this...

I was simply trying to be helpful and at the same time pointing to the fact that isolating posts (cherry picking) distorts the context of the original meaning. That was all there was to it. There was no patronizing. However in light of your amendments reasonable doubts may arise why you would want to distort the response and make it about you. I wasn't trying to impress you since the value of you being impressed hasn't been established. In other words, i am not sure if you being impressed has any value for me, or even matters to me. It would be an useless expenditure of energy to strive for the valueless. Hope this clarifies.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
@Secret Chief

It's interesting to notice the amendments you made to the response above at #113. It's weird....

Your initial response was simply "thanks for the tip". You then amended it to "i din't know that (with a hint of sarcasm). Thank's for the tip". Now you have completely deleted that post and instead posted a new one. Kind of raises some questions on your intent and need for doing all this...

I was simply trying to be helpful and at the same time pointing to the fact that isolating posts (cherry picking) distorts the context of the original meaning. That was all there was to it. There was no patronizing. However in light of your amendments reasonable doubts may arise why you would want to distort the response and make it about you. I wasn't trying to impress you since the value of you being impressed hasn't been established. In other words, i am not sure if you being impressed has any value for me, or even matters to me. It would be an useless expenditure of energy to strive for the valueless. Hope this clarifies.
My amendments were because I thought you're new here so don't be dismissive, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. With hindsight, I shouldn't have bothered. What you call cherry picking I call picking on a point of interest in what is said and responding to it. I'm well aware of the overall context. I didn't think you were trying to impress me, don't flatter yourself. I wasn't trying to distort anything. Patronising is in the eye of the beholder; this post also reads as patronising to me. Your words are condescending like I need discussions explaining to me. If I'm not up to your standard that's fine by me.

TSTS

My amendments were because I thought you're new here so don't be dismissive, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. With hindsight, I shouldn't have bothered. What you call cherry picking I call picking on a point of interest in what is said and responding to it. I'm well aware of the overall context. I didn't think you were trying to impress me, don't flatter yourself. I wasn't trying to distort anything. Patronising is in the eye of the beholder; this post also reads as patronising to me. Your words are condescending like I need discussions explaining to me. If I'm not up to your standard that's fine by me.

Sorry i cannot help you resolve any issues that may be dealing with, other than to point you to what i had said to 'The Hammer' in my post #64.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Sorry i cannot help your resolve any issues that may be dealing with, other than to point you to what i had said to 'The Hammer' in my post #64.
I'm not dealing with any issues. More condescending crap. Try to stay on topic and not get personal (see post #64).

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
Often cited as one factor in the decline of Buddhism in the land of its birth.
Ah. I see. Buddhism - Wikipedia
The Islamic conquest of the Iranian Plateau in the 7th-century, followed by the Muslim conquests of Afghanistan and the later establishment of the Ghaznavid kingdom with Islam as the state religion in Central Asia between the 10th- and 12th-century led to the decline and disappearance of Buddhism from most of these regions.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Ah. I see. Buddhism - Wikipedia
The Islamic conquest of the Iranian Plateau in the 7th-century, followed by the Muslim conquests of Afghanistan and the later establishment of the Ghaznavid kingdom with Islam as the state religion in Central Asia between the 10th- and 12th-century led to the decline and disappearance of Buddhism from most of these regions.
I wouldn't like to say it was the sole or even major reason; only because I think the idea is somewhat disputed. :)

nPeace

Veteran Member
Did you read my first post? I was 18

Good religion can help if taught correctly and if it is not oppressive or imposed, fundamental or literalist but it is no substitute for good parenting. Unfortunately religious teaching does tend to be more indoctrination than education.

I notice your link and description do not actually mention religion.
Read your comment.
"Good religion can help if..."
How can it be good religion if...?
Good religion will teach good values and will help both young and old to instill good values in themselves and their offspring, resulting in making all round good decisions.

If it doesn't do that, it is not good religion. I said in my post, I am not referring to just any religion.
Often people tend to take their experience in one religion, or the ones they have had experience with, and apply it to every religion,

Whether this is done as an attempt to paint all as bad, for a particular reason, I don't know, but there is good and bad in everything. There is good religion.
I understand though, for some, God and religion are bad words.

The link was not supposed to mention religion.
You said, "Children grow and earn independence, there are things they need to try to become adult. And in that independence and trial and error they learn or they don't and it tempers their maturity."

My response was to support my post.
Instilling values early in life gives children a foundation on which to build - preventing trial and error, by giving them guidance in making wise decision, thus avoiding the cycle, common in this world.
The links support that.