• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Punishment for Sins?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
This one is definitely not original, nor is it deep philosophical thinking, but still curious for the answer.

Assuming God is all knowing and all powerful, he knew the way life would be before it all was created, and he technically created it in the way so everything would happen the way it is happening, but he could have made life without sin. He knew we would sin and made it so we did sin, we're robots living under what he had planned.

So pre-determination is down - now why send people to hell for sinning if you knew we'd sin and created us to sin when you could've created us to not sin.

For example:

Let's say I make a movie, and the movie will have an afterlife. I write the characters to do this and that, so I know they will do it during the movie. I also written them to sin. If they sin it's their fault and they will go to hell.

But why? I made them sin. I knew they'd sin.

Me Myself

Back to my username
In hinduism, it is like this:

The one with the script, the audience and all the characters and scenarios in the movie is God. Everyone involved is the same person (sorta say)

Punishment will happen but everything that happens afterlife is in the movie too, so the punishment is part of the movie. Ultimately, everyone will live happily ever after.

The movie has many beginings and many ends. The reason for the movie is to entertain the audience, which is God (remembering that God too is the actors, so it´s okay)

The Sum of Awe

In hinduism, it is like this:

The one with the script, the audience and all the characters and scenarios in the movie is God. Everyone involved is the same person (sorta say)

Punishment will happen but everything that happens afterlife is in the movie too, so the punishment is part of the movie. Ultimately, everyone will live happily ever after.

The movie has many beginings and many ends. The reason for the movie is to entertain the audience, which is God (remembering that God too is the actors, so it´s okay)

So punishment is to entertain the Gods?

Me Myself

Back to my username
So punishment is to entertain the Gods?

Look at it like God being masochistic.

You are God, all the suffering in your life was literaly your fault even if your wish was only from very deep inside. That said, eternal bliss is already yours. You will not make yourself suffer for ever.

so yeah, punishment is to please the Gods.

Us :eek:

The Sum of Awe

Look at it like God being masochistic.

You are God, all the suffering in your life was literaly your fault even if your wish was only from very deep inside. That said, eternal bliss is already yours. You will not make yourself suffer for ever.

so yeah, punishment is to please the Gods.

Us :eek:

Okay, gotcha, that frees Hinduism from the question

Me Myself

Back to my username
Okay, gotcha, that frees Hinduism from the question

Though that was only my view on hinduism. It is bast, I think that is the general idea, but if someone more learned comes to shut me up, then that´ll be basicaly my idea :eek:

I agree with you. Eternal suffering can´t be okay.

the christian viewpoint tends to be that it´s very important that we are "free" to make each others life hell here on earth, so by that we may "freely" choose to go to actual hell after that. God thought it was very important for me to have the freedom to be able to go to the kitchen, take a knife and murder my mother in her sleep if I wanted to, but not important for me to have the freedom to fly or shoot rainbows out of my mouth.

It was really important for God that w could have the fredom to be -****, but a lot of other posible freedoms was not given to us.

So even if you believe in "free will" you still must admit you don´t have an absolute freedom, just a limited one. So God could have chosen to limit it so that we couldn´t sin, but choose what kind of awesome stuff we want to do to each other to show our love.

Nah, God felt it really important that we can choose between "Good" and "evil". But I don´t have the freedom to stay an unlimited amount of time underwater.

REALY ridiculous.

Unless it´s a movie, and actors will be happy at the end anyways, and watch again the scenes were the suffered and just laugh, knowing that suffering was fake in the end. That they are much larger than suffering. Than it wa sna ilussion, maya. That they are God, and they trascend it.

Bob Dixon

>implying
The "punishment" is metaphorical. It isn't really literally meted out, per se. It's just an expression of your state, spiritually. You can be in "heaven" (closeness with God) or "hell" (distance from God). The latter involves incorrect understanding, delusion, and much pain brought about by these things. The former involves correct understanding, a realisation of the nature of reality, and no pain because you know, of course, that the concept itself is artificial and that nothing can affect you, really.

Most people are in "hell" right now.
Wish us luck!

The Sum of Awe

The "punishment" is metaphorical. It isn't really literally meted out, per se. It's just an expression of your state, spiritually. You can be in "heaven" (closeness with God) or "hell" (distance from God). The latter involves incorrect understanding, delusion, and much pain brought about by these things. The former involves correct understanding, a realisation of the nature of reality, and no pain because you know, of course, that the concept itself is artificial and that nothing can affect you, really.

Most people are in "hell" right now.
Wish us luck!

Doesn't matter, why should they have to get much pain, delusion, and incorrect understanding for something God made them do?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
This one is definitely not original, nor is it deep philosophical thinking, but still curious for the answer.

Assuming God is all knowing and all powerful, he knew the way life would be before it all was created, and he technically created it in the way so everything would happen the way it is happening, but he could have made life without sin. He knew we would sin and made it so we did sin, we're robots living under what he had planned.

So pre-determination is down - now why send people to hell for sinning if you knew we'd sin and created us to sin when you could've created us to not sin.

For example:

Let's say I make a movie, and the movie will have an afterlife. I write the characters to do this and that, so I know they will do it during the movie. I also written them to sin. If they sin it's their fault and they will go to hell.

But why? I made them sin. I knew they'd sin.

People say that without free will evil would not exist, but then we would not have free will. It is either both or neither. But such thought is silly. If god is all powerful he could have made a world with free will and no evil. Just a thought.

Bob Dixon

>implying
Doesn't matter, why should they have to get much pain, delusion, and incorrect understanding for something God made them do?

They don't have to. There are ways to avoid it.
"Pain" and "suffering" are not inherent qualities of the Universe. They come from within, so you can overcome them.

The Sum of Awe

People say that without free will evil would not exist, but then we would not have free will. It is either both or neither. But such thought is silly. If god is all powerful he could have made a world with free will and no evil. Just a thought.

That is where omnipotence and omniscience contradict, in order to do that, create freewill with omniscience, you'd have to not be aware of what they're going to do before you create them.

The Sum of Awe

They don't have to. There are ways to avoid it.
"Pain" and "suffering" are not inherent qualities of the Universe. They come from within, so you can overcome them.

God knows they wont change though, he knew before he even made the universe that contains these sinners, so why not make a universe that doesn't contain sinners? Or else why throw sinners into pain and delusion when God created them as sinners?