• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Profiling Makes Sense and Should Be Done

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
The "hereditary component" is literally their skin color and nothing else.
I'm going to disagree with that after tens of thousands of years and through observation and measurement and analysis. I understand your good intentions to make the differences just go away by declaration but nature is what it is and I only try to honestly observe it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm sure the facts back me up to. Bad cop behavior is the exception to the rule.
There are many, many bad cops (I recount numerous instances in Indiana of infuriating cop behaiors). Cops who stay silent about it are enablers and accesories to crime as well as aiding and abetting crime.

Gambrinus

accumulative error
I agree profiling should be based on good data and good statistics. So, let's make sure the profilers are unbiased statisticians.
I asked you about this on page 2. How are you going make sure that the profilers are not biased?
I don't see how it can be done.

I do think some type of profiling could be used by the cops for certain issues like to decide if a person is drunk and they should go to jail or if they should be given a ride and be fined or get a ride and then pay for the ride home. If it can be done in a reasonable amount of time.

But not because of their age or race, just on their behavior.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Certainly ethnic groups largely genetically separated from each other for tens of thousands of years do exist.
I guess you and @Shadow Wolf should look at real numbers and drop the inexact qualifiers.
Or maybe you both can agree upon the following inexact statements:

1. The majority of police officers (> 50%) do not partake in illegal behaviour.
2. The majority of police officers (and other law enforcement like DA) do not persecute a fellow officer like they would a usual criminal.
3. No matter how many bad cops there are or how often they behave in a bad manner, #2 leads to the bad reputation (and ultimately civil unrest).

All just for the US (but I think that is a global phenomenon, just not in the same dimensions).

Heyo

Veteran Member
Well I would like to see modern scientific racism debunked.
Challenge accepted.

I am pretty much ignorant about that topic, so the outcome is open for me.
Proposed modus:
1. If racism was scientific it should be a global phenomenon. To prevent a local bias, I like to exclude studies from the US about the US.
2. I think we can agree that in the past there has been some BS. Lets concentrate on this millennium.
3. You find me a study, not US centric, from 2001 or later, published in a referred scientific journal that promotes scientific racism.

I will then debunk that study or find a scientific refutation in the scientific communications.

Deal?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
2. The majority of police officers (and other law enforcement like DA) do not persecute a fellow officer like they would a usual criminal.
That is why cops are not good. Why we cannot trust the police. Because at the end of the day we can trust they will cover their own wretches before they stand up for us.

Tambourine

I'm going to disagree with that after tens of thousands of years and through observation and measurement and analysis. I understand your good intentions to make the differences just go away by declaration but nature is what it is and I only try to honestly observe it.
You are free to disagree with the available data we have on human genetics.
I just wanted you to know that that's what you are doing.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Challenge accepted.

I am pretty much ignorant about that topic, so the outcome is open for me.
Proposed modus:
1. If racism was scientific it should be a global phenomenon. To prevent a local bias, I like to exclude studies from the US about the US.
2. I think we can agree that in the past there has been some BS. Lets concentrate on this millennium.
3. You find me a study, not US centric, from 2001 or later, published in a referred scientific journal that promotes scientific racism.

I will then debunk that study or find a scientific refutation in the scientific communications.

Deal?
The Bell Curve

And it will always be easy to find proponents and critics of this all over the internet.

Are you proposing to be the one to solve this yourself once and for all? And you're new to the subject?

Heyo

Veteran Member
The Bell Curve

And it will always be easy to find proponents and critics of this all over the internet.
1. Last millennium.
2, Not a scientific study published in a referred scientific journal.
3. US centric.

Three fails in one attempt. You aren't really trying.
Are you proposing to be the one to solve this yourself once and for all? And you're new to the subject?
I just did.

George-ananda

Premium Member
1. Last millennium.
2, Not a scientific study published in a referred scientific journal.
3. US centric.

Three fails in one attempt. You aren't really trying.

I just did.
LOL. Well I have my own criteria for what I consider serious work for my consideration.

George-ananda

Premium Member
How does anything in that summary refute what I have posted in this thread so far?

EDIT: Also, did you realize that a good 50% of that page is made up of criticisms that completely tear the book apart?
It doesn't seem the subject is one you are interested in beyond quickly finding what you want to hear. This subject is not the topic of this thread anyway.

Tambourine

It doesn't seem the subject is one you are interested in beyond quickly finding what you want to hear. This subject is not the topic of this thread anyway.
Yes, if you don't want to address my points, then I think it's better to end this conversation. Goodbye.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I more suspect the key difference In statistical outcomes is in demographic differences between the US and say Australia. The differences between whites in both countries is probably not major.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean, so I'm seeking clarification.
It seems like you might be suggesting our numbers here would be the same if we had different demographics, and more non-whites..??

George-ananda

Premium Member
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean, so I'm seeking clarification.
It seems like you might be suggesting our numbers here would be the same if we had different demographics, and more non-whites..??
I am saying Australian cities would look a lot more like U.S. cities with higher criminal and social problems statistically if Australia had a legacy of African slavery comparable to the United States' level.

I understand my view is politically incorrect but I believe it is correct. I do believe in scientific racism as in the controversial book The Bell Curve but I have no hatred or dislike of anyone because of their ethnicity and believe in equality for all.

George-ananda

Premium Member
The Bell Curve. A concept bigots rely on. It's a garbage wannabe concept that bigoted people rely on to support their ignorance.

So their you go. Support that.

edit: I'm tired. I forgot to give you the old familiar. So there you go.
I believe it is solid social science work that is politically incorrect and therefore called garbage. I am no bigot and this is an intellectual position that quickly devolves into personal attacks.

So there you go.

gnomon

I believe it is solid social science work that is politically incorrect and therefore called garbage. I am no bigot and this is an intellectual position that quickly devolves into personal attacks.

So there you go.

That just makes you a fool and a bigot.

Is it a personal attack? Don't ****ing care. We all are.

In the meantime.....dark chocolate or milk chocolate? I like the dark chocolate cocoa.

This fool likes the dark chocolate.

edit: I despise "The Bell Curve"....but life is too short right now.

George-ananda

Premium Member
That just makes you a fool and a bigot.

Is it a personal attack? Don't ****ing care. We all are.

In the meantime.....dark chocolate or milk chocolate? I like the dark chocolate cocoa.

This fool likes the dark chocolate.

edit: I despise "The Bell Curve"....but life is too short right now.
I don’t think you are fit to think or talk logically about it . We’ll end this.