• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Pigeon Farming for eating is not common in world?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Peace be on everyone. Why Pigeon Farming for eating is not common in world? Especially considering food / protein shoratge in many places worldwide or high prices of chicken, lamb beef.
Pigeon is Halal and also Kosher as one understands.

Here is some nutritional comparison between Chicken and Pigeon.
Nutritional Comparison: Chicken breast tenders, uncooked vs Squab, (pigeon), meat and skin, raw

Hello Dawud,

This may be all worthwhile and sensible.
But my children (now in their 40's) would never eat pigeon again.
40 years ago we were very very poor, and every penny counted. There are old disused sea forts 5 and 7 miles offshore from where we live, and once a week I would row out to these forts and shoot the pigeons that lived on the huge beams that spanned between the forts' legs. I also kept lobster pots underneath these forts. I would bring about 40 pigeons home after each trip (and the odd lobster).
Our kids grew so tired of pigeon! :D
They hate it now. But they still love lobster, probably because they didn't get so many of those.

Just a tale to tell ....... :D

Knight of Albion

I love pigeons. Pigeons are beautiful, friendly, gentle birds, not doing any harm to anyone.

Are 'we' humans not abusing, exploiting, and mass-murdering enough species already without starting on another one?

Peace be on everyone - and everything.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
In a sense I agree with knight's point about exploiting animals. I never tried pigeon to be honest

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
monasteries and great houses always had a pigeon loft in times gone bye. As you say they were a great source of food especially in the winter.
Even smaller houses had a dove cot kept for the same purpose.

Virtually all monasteries also had fish ponds and rabbit warrens for the same use. Some had been in use since Roman times. ( they introduced Rabbits for eating as well as the edible snail into the UK)

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
There might be an issue with size, may be other issues, i'm not an expert.
Never had pigeon. You see it here occasionally, not common in my area.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I doubt people would be so excited to eat pigeons because they're regarded as dirty in the West. We call them "rats with wings", and they do act like rats. So this is like asking why people don't eat sewer rats.

Where I live, we barely have any pigeons at all. In fact, I recently saw some pigeons the other week and I had gone years without seeing any pigeons. The pigeons here have mostly been wiped out by the falcons, because the city views them as a nuisance.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
There is pigeon farming in France, many people raise them themselves in their backyard. It's pretty common depending on the region, and regarded as a very good meat.
Unfortunately the youngest generation are more and more raised with the "steak fries burget kebab" mentality and these types of meat and recipes aren't as common as before. But still in small cities and villages on the countryside, you can still eat pigeon.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I agree with op.and plan to raise my own in the future.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The way I see it, pigeons are not really very different from other poultry.

Except perhaps that since they fly more freely than poultry, it may be that much more difficult to enforce higiene standards. Or maybe I am taking that "House" episode too seriously...

In any case, those willing to try it would probably be wise to cook the meat carefully and throughly. Raw meat is always more of a health risk.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The way I see it, pigeons are not really very different from other poultry.

Except perhaps that since they fly more freely than poultry, it may be that much more difficult to enforce higiene standards. Or maybe I am taking that "House" episode too seriously...

In any case, those willing to try it would probably be wise to cook the meat carefully and throughly. Raw meat is always more of a health risk.

Yes, I'm not even familiar with the aspects of pigeon. I assume it's a practicality issue here.

Iti oj

Premium Member
The op is not.suggesting eating dirty or wild birds. But raising them.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The op is not.suggesting eating dirty or wild birds. But raising them.

Fair enough, but it is also asking why it is not more common.

I believe flight autonomy and health concerns figure into it. Maybe I am wrong?

Iti oj

Premium Member
Fair enough, but it is also asking why it is not more common.

I believe flight autonomy and health concerns figure into it. Maybe I am wrong?

No neither ate issues. Google image pigeon pen.

Iti oj

Premium Member
By and.far self sufficiency has gone to the way side and we have demonized the.birds

GoodbyeDave

How would one cook a pigeon? Like chicken? Sounds pretty good to be honest, a nice lemon herb sauce.
1. Roast, wrapped in bacon, for 20 minutes at 450°F/230°C.
2. Joint, fry for 5 minutes, and then casserole with vegetables for 1½ hours at 320°F / 170°C.
That takes me back: we used to have pigeon casserole at college , but I haven't eaten it since.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
1. Roast, wrapped in bacon, for 20 minutes at 450°F/230°C.
2. Joint, fry for 5 minutes, and then casserole with vegetables for 1½ hours at 320°F / 170°C.
That takes me back: we used to have pigeon casserole at college , but I haven't eaten it since.

Nice, thanks. Birds like pigeon, duck, is something you have to 'find' here, really, it's chicken centric here. I've only had duck once, never had goose.

Erebus

I doubt people would be so excited to eat pigeons because they're regarded as dirty in the West.

I'd go with this as an answer personally. There are plenty of animals that could be farmed for food but aren't, simply because of a culture's preferred palate.