• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Only Christians Go To Heaven ?

Squirt

blueman said:
Accepting Christ for salvation is not work, it is based on belief and faith regarding His promise of salvation. Thinking that you are able to receive eternal life in heaven based on exhibiting good deeds or being a good person or even going to church is a misconception according to scripture. To reject Christ is to reject God Almighty.
Of course belief in Christ is a "work," just as rejection of Him is. Both belief and rejection require a conscious decision on someone's part. Belief in Christ requires that we be willng to accept Him without scientifically verifiable evidence to prove that He both exists and is what He claims to be. If we were truly saved by grace (as you are using the word), we would not have to do anything at all -- not even believe. But as soon as you qualify it by saying, "all you have to do is believe," you've contradicted yourself.

Squirt

Mister_T said:
People of other religions are sharing the same relationship with God. They experience the same things. This should ring a bell to people who claim that only their way of thinking can give you a 1 on 1 relationship with God. Does that make sense?
That makes sense, and I can appreciate where you're coming from, but to a Latter-day Saint, it sounds like you are grouping us with non-Christian religions. Would that be an accurate statement?

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
if we were truly saved by grace (as you are using the word), we would not have to do anything at all -- not even believe. But as soon as you qualify it by saying, "all you have to do is believe," you've contradicted yourself.
Exactly. Frubals.

but to a Latter-day Saint, it sounds like you are grouping us with non-Christian religions. Would that be an accurate statement?

No that's not accurate.

Squirt, although we believe in different things, I consider Mormons to be Christians. My definition of Christian is very broad. We're all praying to the same God. We're all on the same team. We're all believe in something good.

Abram

Abraham
Simple! Christ was God, therefore you must believe in Christ to believe in God. The Bible is very clear about this. The devil blurs the line so people will think there is a different way. Lies! God is love but also very just. When you stand before God and say "You should have been more clear about the whole Christ thing." He will remind you of every second of your life you were told that Christ is the the only way to him. Like right now! You have been warned. Repent for the Kingdom of Heaven is near!

Squirt

Abram said:
When you stand before God and say "You should have been more clear about the whole Christ thing." He will remind you of every second of your life you were told that Christ is the the only way to him.
But suppose you weren't told? What then?

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Abram said:
Simple! Christ was God, therefore you must believe in Christ to believe in God. The Bible is very clear about this. The devil blurs the line so people will think there is a different way. Lies! God is love but also very just. When you stand before God and say "You should have been more clear about the whole Christ thing." He will remind you of every second of your life you were told that Christ is the the only way to him. Like right now! You have been warned. Repent for the Kingdom of Heaven is near!
I have replied to this earlier in the thread I don't want to repeat myself. But I will if I have to. Did you even read the entire thread? Maybe you should look at the points I brought up before I repeat myself.

Abram

Abraham
Mister_T said:
I have replied to this earlier in the thread I don't want to repeat myself. But I will if I have to. Did you even read the entire thread? Maybe you should look at the points I brought up before I repeat myself.
I went back a little ways but your all over the place and I can't tell what you think? Your right we don't have to earn it, But you must take it.
The Bible is very clear that there is only one way to heaven. Through Christ. Your on the edge of inventing your own rules to make a point.
So do repeat your self to help me understand where your coming from. I almost have my head around it but it sounds as if your saying everyone goes to heaven?

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
from the Book of Life

From Teaching No. 146:67. All of you wish to be saved; all of you want to escape from the purification of the spirit, and all of you dream of getting to know heaven. But I say to you, that the effort you make to obtain all this, is really very small, and that many times, instead of seeking the means which could help you to obtain it, you avoid them.

68. You believe that heaven is a place in the infinite, and that you can reach it by means of a sincere repentance of your faults in the hour of your physical death, trusting that you will be forgiven at that moment, and then led by Me to the kingdom of heaven. That is what you believe, but I say to you, that heaven is not a place, nor a region, nor a mansion.

The heaven of the spirit is his elevation and his perfection; it is his state of purity. To whom does it depend that you enter heaven? In Me who has always called you, or on you who have always been tardy?

69. Do not limit the infinite nor the divine anymore. Do you not understand that if heaven was as you believe, a mansion, a region, or a determined place, then it would no longer be infinite? It is about time that you conceive the spiritual in a more elevated manner, even though your idea does not extend to encompass all of reality, but at least is close to it.

70. Always bear in mind that the spirit who reaches the high levels of kindness, of wisdom, of purity and of love, is far beyond time, suffering, and distances. He is not limited to inhabit a certain place; he can be everywhere and find, in everything, a supreme delight of existing, of feeling, of knowing, of loving and of knowing that he is loved.

71. That is the heaven of the spirit.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
For the record, I don't believe everyone will go to Heaven and I do believe that people will wind up in Hell. But I believe those that wind up in Hell are truley evil people and people who hate good.

Ody

Maxist said:
For the same reasons that Jews say that they are the only true children of God.

Disgusting misconception! we view all of humanity to be the children of G-D! :banghead3

Booko

Deviled Hen
Maxist said:
For the same reasons that Jews say that they are the only true children of God.

We're sending the B'nai Noach "education committee" around to your house...you need some education on Judaism REAL BAD!

Booko

Deviled Hen
AlanGurvey said:
Disgusting misconception! we view all of humanity to be the children of G-D! :banghead3

Do you suppose Maxist was raised Christian? Some churches have some bizzaro ideas of what "Chosen People" means.

I'm quite happy to only have to work on a few commandments instead of hundreds. :eek:

opuntia

Religion is Law
Christians will go to Heaven, and everybody else that is qualified will go also. Heaven is broader than we make it to be, and Hell is smaller than we make it to be. Ideally, all should go, but some will rebel and Hell is the place for them. Not many do this but for the most part people are good in nature, else we would have more wars and crime. Heaven now is a place of order and organization, it is not disorganized like our human societies are. Even Heaven is picky on who it will allow to come. Just meet its standards--do good to others basically--and you would be qualified for entry. Is there more than one level in Heaven? Perhaps. Humanity is so diverse that we meet very good people along with average people and the very corrupt--all in one place. Find your place by what you do to others.

Booko

Deviled Hen
opuntia said:
Christians will go to Heaven, and everybody else that is qualified will go also. Heaven is broader than we make it to be, and Hell is smaller than we make it to be. Ideally, all should go, but some will rebel and Hell is the place for them. Not many do this but for the most part people are good in nature, else we would have more wars and crime. Heaven now is a place of order and organization, it is not disorganized like our human societies are. Even Heaven is picky on who it will allow to come. Just meet its standards--do good to others basically--and you would be qualified for entry. Is there more than one level in Heaven? Perhaps. Humanity is so diverse that we meet very good people along with average people and the very corrupt--all in one place. Find your place by what you do to others.

Hi Opuntia:

Maybe this is better fodder for another conference, but I wanted to ask: in your religion's teachings, is it that Christians will go to Heaven, or that those who believe and try (!) to live up to the teachings will go to Heaven? iow, what about those who "talk the talk" but do not "walk the walk"?

Baha'is have the following guidance, and it does tend to keep one humble and reflecting about whether we are "living the life" or not.

It makes no difference whether you have ever heard of Bahá'u'lláh or not," was the answer, "the man who lives the life according to the teachings of Bahá'u'lláh is already a Bahá'í. On the other hand a man may call himself a Bahá'í for fifty years and if he does not live the life he is not a Bahá'í. An ugly man may call himself handsome, but he deceives no one ...not even himself!"

(Abdu'l-Baha, Abdu'l-Baha in London, p. 106)

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
opuntia said:

I love Mormons.:hug:

Squirt

Booko said:
Maybe this is better fodder for another conference, but I wanted to ask: in your religion's teachings, is it that Christians will go to Heaven, or that those who believe and try (!) to live up to the teachings will go to Heaven? iow, what about those who "talk the talk" but do not "walk the walk"?
May I butt in, please, since Opuntia and I share the same beliefs? I would feel pretty safe in saying that we believe in the biggest Heaven and the littlest Hell of any Christian denomination. We also believe in a sort of a multi-tiered Heaven. Granted, this idea is foreign to most Christians but, when you think about it, there is nothing at all illogical about it. We fully expect to see all varieties of Christians, Hindus, Buddhlists, Jews, Muslims, etc. in Heaven and (if my hunch is correct, a disproportionate number of those from the Baha'i Faith). Jesus Christ said that He would "reward every man according to his works." So yes, of course it is important to "walk the walk." Those who don't may end up in Heaven, but will not receive the same degree of glory as those who don't. It all ties in quite nicely with what Christ said.

opuntia

Religion is Law
Booko said:
Hi Opuntia:

Baha'is have the following guidance, and it does tend to keep one humble and reflecting about whether we are "living the life" or not.

It makes no difference whether you have ever heard of Bahá'u'lláh or not," was the answer, "the man who lives the life according to the teachings of Bahá'u'lláh is already a Bahá'í. On the other hand a man may call himself a Bahá'í for fifty years and if he does not live the life he is not a Bahá'í. An ugly man may call himself handsome, but he deceives no one ...not even himself!"

(Abdu'l-Baha, Abdu'l-Baha in London, p. 106)
What would you say to the one who has kept the law to the best of his/her ability and to the one who has kept the law halfheartedly? Jesus said something like this:

"Then Peter said unto him, Lord, speakest thou this parable [see vv. 31-40] unto us, or even to all?

"And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season?

"Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.

"Of a truth I say unto you, that he will make him ruler over all that he hath.

"But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants,and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken;

"The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at that hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.

"And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.

"But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." (Luke 12:41-48; KJV).

Jesus commented on those who knew what to do regarding His Church, namely the disciples, for they were instructed by Jesus himself. If they did not according to Church law, they will be severely reprimanded by their Lord; but those who know little or nothing, the Lord will reserve compassion towards them and will give them what they deserve according to their knowledge and actions. All are capable of compassion if they so desire, whether the great or small, but not all the great and the small show compassion as they ought. Jesus said:

"Then one of them [Pharisees], which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,

"Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

"Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

"This is the first and great commandment.

And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

"On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets [the Old Testament was called "the law and the prophets" in Jesus' day--the Law of Moses and the writings of the prophets. Cf. Matthew 7:12; Luke 24:27, 44]." (Matthew 22:35-40).

Show compassion to all as God shows compassion to all--even the lawbreakers. And if you want to Know God, then follow this advice:

"He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love." (1 John 4:8).

Jesus said:

"In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you." (John 14:2).

The word "mansions," in Greek, is rendered, "mone, mon-ay';...a staying, i.e. residence (the act or the place)." Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible. If all were to go to Heaven, then it must be realized that all will not go to the same places. If you followed the law, you will go to the same place as those who followed the law; others will receive what they have earned. This is fair and just. Neighborhoods if you will. Paul the Apostle wrote of more than one degree of glory in Heaven:

"I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago [it is understood he is speaking of himself], (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven." (2 Corinthians 12:2).

What could be more fairer than to receive what you earned in this life.