• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Only Christians Go To Heaven ?

Ezzedean

dorcas3000 said:
Why would anyone who's NOT a christian want to go to Christian heaven? Heaven isn't somewhere where everyone wants to go. Heaven = with God. If you don't like God or Jesus, you won't like heaven. So why worry if you're getting in?

I worry if I'm getting in. I'm not a Christian. What about all the people that lived before Jesus Christ? The ones who followed Noah, and the ones who followed Moses and David? Are they any less of a believer of God?

dorcas3000 said:
I think the main reason why non-christians won't 'go' to heaven is the same reason why they don't 'go' to church or 'believe' in Jesus - they don't want to.

I believe in Jesus. I worship God. I'm going to hell?

Peace
Ezzedean Fadel

dorcas3000

Ezzedean said:
I worry if I'm getting in. I'm not a Christian.
God doesn't want you to worry about it. He wants you to live in complete hope and faith that you are redeemed to Him. That's essentially the NT gospel, that's why Jesus is important and more than a 'prophet.' Jesus said 'come to me you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' (somewhere) You don't HAVE to worry. I don't worry about it, God has promised me many things, and God doesn't break promises.

Ezzedean said:
What about all the people that lived before Jesus Christ? The ones who followed Noah, and the ones who followed Moses and David? Are they any less of a believer of God?
They were under a different covenant with God. I usually leave the worrying to God when it comes to this question.

Ezzedean said:
Maybe. I take it your definition of "believe" is different than mine. But, honestly, I don't think Muslims or anyone else 'goes to hell' simply because of incorrect doctrine. I do believe that such religions focus on things that are unimportant to God, and live lives worrying about salvation when God has already announced his covenant in Jesus. 'Tis superfluous [unnecessary] to try to earn salvation by other means.;)

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
jeffrey said:
I believe God bases the next life you achieve on what is in your heart. Atheists as well as Christians, Muslims, etc, etc will make it to heaven, or what ever the next life is, on who and how you are. I don't believe God is a petty God, demanding if we don't believe in certain aspects, that we won't get to play in the next life. He's above all that, including the being jealous bit.

I agree. For a Christian to say that only Christians go to Heaven is to pass judgement. And we know what Jesus says about that. God refers to his relationship with us as one with a spouse many times in the Bible. Would you condemn your spouse to eternal damnation because she didn't believe certain things about you but yet she/he loved you as a whole? Of course not. Show me passages where it says JUST Christians go to Heaven. Becuase all the one that have been presented to me can mean something totally different than what a lot of "Christian" churches are preaching. And once you take out the the context that Evangelicals are putting it in, the definition of a Christian is much broader than they'd like it to be

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
dorcas3000 said:
Why would anyone who's NOT a christian want to go to Christian heaven? Heaven isn't somewhere where everyone wants to go. Heaven = with God. If you don't like God or Jesus, you won't like heaven. So why worry if you're getting in?

I think the main reason why non-christians won't 'go' to heaven is the same reason why they don't 'go' to church or 'believe' in Jesus - they don't want to.

I particularly enjoyed reading C.S. Lewis' "The Great Divorce."

For most people, The reason why they don't want to go to churches or believe in Jesus has nothing to do with God, It has to do with the people.

dorcas3000

Mister_T said:
I agree. For a Christian to say that only Christians go to Heaven is to pass judgement. And we know what Jesus says about that. God refers to his relationship with us as one with a spouse many times in the Bible. Would you condemn your spouse to eternal damnation because she didn't believe certain things about you but yet she/he loved you as a whole? Of course not. Show me passages where it says JUST Christians go to Heaven. Becuase all the one that have been presented to me can mean something totally different than what a lot of "Christian" churches are preaching. And once you take out the the context that Evangelicals are putting it in, the definition of a Christian is much broader than they'd like it to be

The Church is the bride of Christ. Not "humanity is the bride of Christ." And yes, Christians shouldn't condemn others to hell. But according to the Bible, Christ is the only assurance of salvation. I believe it is possible that non-christians will go to heaven, but just because I believe it doesn't mean it's true. God tried to help us all out by giving us one blatant, clear way of getting right with Him - Jesus. Christians have assurance of salvation, and while others may indeed inherit it, they have no assurance of it. They can only hope for it.

Ezzedean

dorcas3000 said:
They were under a different covenant with God. I usually leave the worrying to God when it comes to this question.

Good call.

dorcas3000 said:
God doesn't want you to worry about it. He wants you to live in complete hope and faith that you are redeemed to Him. That's essentially the NT gospel, that's why Jesus is important and more than a 'prophet.' Jesus said 'come to me you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' (somewhere) You don't HAVE to worry. I don't worry about it, God has promised me many things, and God doesn't break promises.

I agree with you when you say that God doesn't break promises. His promise is made to us, and we have to make a promise to him. To love him, and to be the best people we can be, both to ourselves and one another. When I say I worry about whether or not I will go to heaven, it's not so much heaven i'm worried about, it's the fact that if I think I'm at a point in my life where I dont think I'd be a person who is going to heaven, that must mean that I'm doing something I shouldn't and that I'm not being a good person, again to myself or other people. I believe in what Jesus taught. I am in no way any better than Jesus. Jesus completely worshipped God, 24/7. He prayed to him and he lived by his law, why shouldn't we? Doing those things is what will bring you to the gates, not just believing that a promise is made to us and all we have to is sit here and wait because you believe in Christ as your saviour. We have to do our part to get into heaven, and just believing in the fact that Jesus promised us heaven so we're gonna get it, is in my eyes foolish. Yes we can get heaven, and yes it is promised to us, but only if we do what is necessary to get there.

Matthew19: 17-18
And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, thats, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
He said unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt not do no murder. Thou shalt not commit adultery. Thou shalt not steal. Thou shalt not bear false witness. Honour thy father and thy mother and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Matthew 12:50
For whosoever SHALL DO THE WILL OF MY FATHER which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

There are many people who believe that Christ is there saviour and love him and pray to him, but still do soooo much wrong in there life. Some of those people kill, and some of those people steal, will they go unpunished?
dorcas3000 said:
Maybe. I take it your definition of "believe" is different than mine. But, honestly, I don't think Muslims or anyone else 'goes to hell' simply because of incorrect doctrine. I do believe that such religions focus on things that are unimportant to God, and live lives worrying about salvation when God has already announced his covenant in Jesus. 'Tis superfluous [unnecessary] to try to earn salvation by other means.;)

To earn salvation by being the best person you can be and by following the example of Gods prophets is not in any way superfluous. Jesus himself says in Matthew 12:36-37

But I say unto you. That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of Judgment.
For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

You have to remember, God has promised good to the righteous, but he has also promised bad for the unrighteous, and yes you can be unrighteous and still believe that Christ is your saviour.

Peace and Blessings
Ezzedean Fadel

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
dorcas3000 said:
The Church is the bride of Christ. Not "humanity is the bride of Christ." And yes, Christians shouldn't condemn others to hell. But according to the Bible, Christ is the only assurance of salvation. I believe it is possible that non-christians will go to heaven, but just because I believe it doesn't mean it's true. God tried to help us all out by giving us one blatant, clear way of getting right with Him - Jesus. Christians have assurance of salvation, and while others may indeed inherit it, they have no assurance of it. They can only hope for it.

I don't claim what I believe to be true either. They could be. My beliefs make a lot of sense. I never said humanity is the bride of Christ. I don't believe in a universal salvation. That doesn't make sense. I'm just saying that the "Bride of Christ" is a much broader than what a lot of Christian churches are making it out to be. Atheists and people of other religions and beliefs are included in this. I think that if people would step back and apply the principles and fundementals of earthly relationships (like a spouse) and apply that concept to their relationship with God, that a realtionship with God would make a lot more sense.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Ezzedean said:
So is it not even worth discussing? If you would rather not, then that is fine, but I think it's a very important issue to discuss, especially considering many of people here do not believe that only through Christ can you enter paradise and that God did not allow his apostle, prophet, loved one, and teacher to be brutally beaten and killed because of how weak the human being is. I think it's very important for people here to know that they do have a chance for paradise, and also it's good for people in here to know that if they do a good deed that it's not gonna go un-rewarded, and for that to be, a bad deed can not go un-punished or atleast un-noticed by God. Although we may not get thrown into a pit of fire for our sins, maybe even learning the truth, and seeing the sin in what we have done in our lifetime is a form of punishment. I will stay strong with my beliefs, that God knew the plan of the Jews towards Jesus, and that he too planned and raised Jesus up before any harm was done to his soul and spirit, because God is the best of planners.

Peace and Blessings
Ezzedean

I would be more than happy to continue with discussion.

And I happen to agree with you...God really is the best of planners.:D

Squirt

Ezzedean said:
I worry if I'm getting in. I'm not a Christian. What about all the people that lived before Jesus Christ? The ones who followed Noah, and the ones who followed Moses and David? Are they any less of a believer of God?
Those who lived prior to Jesus Christ and those who lived after Him but who died without having had the opportunity to hear His gospel will have the chance to do so during the period of time between their deaths and their resurrection. God would not condemn someone to hell due to an accident of birth. What kind of a loving Father would that make him.

In a word -- No.

Opethian

You misunderstood.

I'm telling you that my Christ is so much more than a prophet. Christ is Saviour.

I'm not discounting the works of prophets. I'm saying that no prophet holds a candle to what Christ has done for us and what we have in Christ.

And as a Christian...I think our views will clash, regardless of what we say to one another.

Warm wishes to you.

What has Christ done for us? Who knows? Someone wrote in a book that he did some pretty miraculous things, but unless you take the bible literally (which you probably do :biglaugh: ), this is probably just all myths and methaphors. Jesus Christ was probably nothing more than a regular man with some great ideals, who got some followers and did some great things, but which were exaggerated in stories. His stories of god were nothing more than a means to convince people of his ideals, and of itself, this was not really a bad idea. But what it has become now, in this modern world with so many scientific and technological achievements, is more than ridiculous. People who take the bible literally and believe the earth was created in 6 days with everything on it, are people with serious psychological problems. People that believe that a man was actually resurrected, and that there was a global flood and a guy with a boat with every living animal on the planet on it, have a very big problem.

It's called brainwashing.

Cheers.

finalfrogo

dawny0826 said:
I don't think anyone is placing a gun to your head...forcing you to believe in God.

Actually, this belief of Hell seems relatable to such a situation. You are proposing that God is saying "If you don't believe in me in this specific way (through Christ), then I'm tossing you into a place of eternal damnation!"

I don't think this is much different than a man pointing a gun at your head and saying "Get in my car or I'll shoot you!"

finalfrogo

Everytime there is a thread like this, I post the following:

(The "idea" or "belief" I refer to is the belief that non-Christians go to Hell)

1. The establishment of such a belief originates from the Bible, however, the Bible cannot sensibly be taken literally at every point; therefore, one chooses which parts to believe, and one chooses which parts are too questionable to hold faith in. This belief may have been incorporated into the BIble as a method of persuading people to join Christianity. You don't necessarily have to believe in it.

2. Not all Christians believe in this idea. One can still be Christian and reject this idea.

3. The idea contradicts God's compassion- the same compassion that Christianity proudly proclaims. Would you send YOUR children to a place of eternal agony just because they didn't believe you were their parent? So what if they don't believe in you? You still love them because they are your children. "Unconditional Love"

4. People are very different; therefore, there must be many religions to be suitable to them. Don't you think God would allow multiple CORRECT religions, to suit all the different types of people He created?

5. I don't think God would be so meticulous as to care HOW people worship him, as long as they worship him.

6. When people worship a single God, they are worshipping THE God. Forget all of this junk about "false Gods"... God is God, and if you worship a God, you're worshipping THE God. People may have different opinions about Him, but the focus of worship is still consistent: God.

Let me take the example in which you are a parent and you have children. They may each have differing opinions about you; but they all love you, and you love them in return.

7. There are also portions of the Bible that work against this idea.

8. And another thing, this time about sin.

Sin is disconnectedness from God.

If others have found a way to connect with God- even if it's not the Christian way- what's wrong with that? Perhaps there are MULTIPLE ways of abolishing this disconnectedness.

This has been a short summary of the realizations I have experienced, though I am not trying to establish their absolute authority. I encourage you to think about it yourself, and at least consider the points I have made here. To think that Christianity is the only correct religion- that God only loves Christians and sends everyone else to Hell- is another audacious assertion made by conservative Christians.

Dentonz

jeffrey said:
I believe God bases the next life you achieve on what is in your heart. Atheists as well as Christians, Muslims, etc, etc will make it to heaven, or what ever the next life is, on who and how you are. I don't believe God is a petty God, demanding if we don't believe in certain aspects, that we won't get to play in the next life. He's above all that, including the being jealous bit.

Yeah, I believe everyone will make it to heaven, at least once. During the final judgement all nations, tribes and tounges will stand before the throne of God. But only those redeemed by the blood of the Lamb will stay.

Dentonz

finalfrogo said:
Actually, this belief of Hell seems relatable to such a situation. You are proposing that God is saying "If you don't believe in me in this specific way (through Christ), then I'm tossing you into a place of eternal damnation!"

I don't think this is much different than a man pointing a gun at your head and saying "Get in my car or I'll shoot you!"

If your pride is bigger than the Almighty, then I guess this would be hard to accept.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Opethian said:
What has Christ done for us? Who knows? Someone wrote in a book that he did some pretty miraculous things, but unless you take the bible literally (which you probably do :biglaugh: ), this is probably just all myths and methaphors. Jesus Christ was probably nothing more than a regular man with some great ideals, who got some followers and did some great things, but which were exaggerated in stories. His stories of god were nothing more than a means to convince people of his ideals, and of itself, this was not really a bad idea. But what it has become now, in this modern world with so many scientific and technological achievements, is more than ridiculous. People who take the bible literally and believe the earth was created in 6 days with everything on it, are people with serious psychological problems. People that believe that a man was actually resurrected, and that there was a global flood and a guy with a boat with every living animal on the planet on it, have a very big problem.

It's called brainwashing.

Cheers.

are you saying some people on this forum are suffering from mental or psychological problems because they have a faith? please allow me to prompt you in the direction of the forum rules, you may wish to direct your eyes at rule 4 :rolleyes:

9harmony

finalfrogo said:
Everytime there is a thread like this, I post the following:

:) nice post!

everytime there is a thread like this, i post something like this... ;)

Many people are not aware that Jesus wasn't the only one to say something similar...

THE WAY

CHRISTIANITY, John 14:6
1. I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the
Father except through Me.

BUDDHISM, Dhammapada 20:274
2. This is the path. There is no other that leads to vision.

ISLAM, Imam'Ali, Hadith
3. Whoso seeks guidence elsewhere, God will lead him astray.

BAHA'I, Tablets of Baha'u'llah, P.169
4. He that hath Me not is bereft of all things. Turn ye away from
all that is on earth and seek none else but Me.

HINDUISM, Bhagavad Gita 18:66
5. Abandoning all duties, come to Me alone for shelter.

ZOROASTRIANISM, The Teachings of the Magi, P.22
6. There is only one religious way. This one way is that of good thoughts, good words, and good deeds, the way of heaven, of light and of purity, of the infinite Creator.

So to me this points that the WAY is the same spirit of God whom comes to us through all of His messengers. The Spirit of God is the Way. In whatever form He appears.

The following is an excerpt from the Baha'i Writings which elaborate on this concept...

"If we are lovers of the light, we adore it in whatever lamp it may become manifest, but if we love the lamp itself and the light is transferred to another lamp, we will neither accept nor sanction it. Therefore, we must follow and adore the virtues revealed in the Messengers of God--whether in Abraham, Moses, Jesus or other Prophets--but we must not adhere to and adore the lamp. We must recognize the sun, no matter from what dawning point it may shine forth, be it Mosaic, Abrahamic or any personal point of orientation whatever, for we are lovers of sunlight and not of orientation. We are lovers of illumination and not of lamps and candles. We are seekers for water, no matter from what rock it may gush forth. We are in need of fruit in whatsoever orchard it may be ripened. We long for rain; it matters not which cloud pours it down. We must not be fettered. If we renounce these fetters, we shall agree, for all are seekers of reality. The counterfeit or imitation of true religion has adulterated human belief, and the foundations have been lost sight of. The variance of these imitations has produced enmity and strife, war and bloodshed. Now the glorious and brilliant twentieth century has dawned, and the divine bounty is radiating universally. The Sun of Truth is shining forth in intense enkindlement. This is, verily, the century when these imitations must be forsaken, superstitions abandoned and God alone worshiped. We must look at the reality of the Prophets and Their teachings in order that we may agree." - Promulgation of Universal Peace, Abdu'l-Baha, p 152

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Dentonz said:
If your pride is bigger than the Almighty, then I guess this would be hard to accept.
You want to talk about pride? How about that statement you just made. Who's to say that Christians who say only their interpretation of a Christian are going to heaven, aren't the one being prideful? These type of people are afraid of being *gasp* wrong. Their pride gets in the way of reasoning and common sense becuase they are SO determined that they can NEVER be wrong. They HAVE to have an answer for everything. The world has to adapt to the church thinking in their eyes, not the otherway around. Even when their stance on something is obviously flawed. People like this need to have this concept pounded in their head: My church and I do not know everything and we are not always right because we are humans. If these types of Christians would say "I don't know" every once in a while, the world would be a better place and it would make Christians seem more credible.

finalfrogo's statement makes sense. A truley loving God would never "put a gun to your head". Would you put a gun to your wifes head and demand that she love you or she'll have her brains blown out? No. That's not love. That's a tantrum. God is perfect. A perfect God would not do that.

But if these types of Christians pride is bigger than the Alimghty, the I guess this would be hard to accept.

It has nothing to do with pride. It has to do with what is right and what is the truth. And the truth is "a gun to your head" is not love. Many Christians "have had "a gun to their heads" and told the holder of the gun to pull the trigger because they believed in what was right and what they know to be the truth. They would not submit to what others were trying to force them to believe. Even when faced with pain and torment. But according to your philosophy, these people were just full of pride.

Dentonz

Mister_T said:
You want to talk about pride? How about that statement you just made. Who's to say that Christians who say only their interpretation of a Christian are going to heaven, aren't the one being prideful? These type of people are afraid of being *gasp* wrong. Their pride gets in the way of reasoning and common sense becuase they are SO determined that they can NEVER be wrong. They HAVE to have an answer for everything. The world has to adapt to the church thinking in their eyes, not the otherway around. Even when their stance on something is obviously flawed. People like this need to have this concept pounded in their head: My church and I do not know everything and we are not always right because we are humans. If these types of Christians would say "I don't know" every once in a while, the world would be a better place and it would make Christians seem more credible.

finalfrogo's statement makes sense. A truley loving God would never "put a gun to your head". Would you put a gun to your wifes head and demand that she love you or she'll have her brains blown out? No. That's not love. That's a tantrum. God is perfect. A perfect God would not do that.

But if these types of Christians pride is bigger than the Alimghty, the I guess this would be hard to accept.

It has nothing to do with pride. It has to do with what is right and what is the truth. And the truth is "a gun to your head" is not love. Many Christians "have had "a gun to their heads" and told the holder of the gun to pull the trigger because they believed in what was right and what they know to be the truth. They would not submit to what others were trying to force them to believe. Even when faced with pain and torment. But according to your philosophy, these people were just full of pride.

If you call it pride to say that the Bible is the Divine Word of God; then so be it. Let God be the judge if I speak out of pride or not. He is eternal, Almighty and he said it so I'll leave this to you and him.
To God be all glory, honor, power and praise.