• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why not to fap

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Well I have read a book, and Galateasdream and I agreed the writer was well qualified even if most of the book is religious in nature.
He may be "well qualified" but unfortunately religious thought can overpower one's qualifications. In fact this subject hardly merits a book being written about it. That alone makes his work suspicious to me. It makes him look agenda driven rather than fact driven. This small topic only merits an article or so to deal with it. And those tend to disagree.

By the way you have not considered all of the health ramifications. Prostate cancer is lower in those that regularly ejaculate, no matter what causes it the action:

Ejaculation frequency and prostate cancer - Harvard Health

"The scientists found no evidence that frequent ejaculations mark an increased risk of prostate cancer. In fact, the reverse was true: High ejaculation frequency was linked to a decreased risk. Compared to men who reported 4–7 ejaculations per month across their lifetimes, men who ejaculated 21 or more times a month enjoyed a 31% lower risk of prostate cancer. And the results held up to rigorous statistical evaluation even after other lifestyle factors and the frequency of PSA testing were taken into account."

So don't call it "fapping". Just claim that you are doing your cancer prevention therapy. I would suggest at least once a day. So nothing excessive. You could think of it as daily maintenance, like brushing your teeth.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
He may be "well qualified" but unfortunately religious thought can overpower one's qualifications. In fact this subject hardly merits a book being written about it. That alone makes his work suspicious to me. It makes him look agenda driven rather than fact driven. This small topic only merits an article or so to deal with it. And those tend to disagree.

By the way you have not considered all of the health ramifications. Prostate cancer is lower in those that regularly ejaculate, no matter what causes it the action:

Ejaculation frequency and prostate cancer - Harvard Health

"The scientists found no evidence that frequent ejaculations mark an increased risk of prostate cancer. In fact, the reverse was true: High ejaculation frequency was linked to a decreased risk. Compared to men who reported 4–7 ejaculations per month across their lifetimes, men who ejaculated 21 or more times a month enjoyed a 31% lower risk of prostate cancer. And the results held up to rigorous statistical evaluation even after other lifestyle factors and the frequency of PSA testing were taken into account."

So don't call it "fapping". Just claim that you are doing your cancer prevention therapy. I would suggest at least once a day. So nothing excessive. You could think of it as daily maintenance, like brushing your teeth.
I already knew about the prostate cancer and thank you for your comment.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Well anyway, something I forgot to mention is this:

The leader of my Church, not Jesus Christ but our prophet alive on earth now, is a world-renowned surgeon and he seems to insist that male and female masturbation are harmful.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Well anyway, something I forgot to mention is this:

The leader of my Church, not Jesus Christ but our prophet alive on earth now, is a world-renowned surgeon and he seems to insist that male and female masturbation are harmful.
What makes you think his opinions about masturbation matter more than mine, or anybody else's?
Tom

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
What makes you think his opinions about masturbation matter more than mine, or anybody else's?
Tom
Well if he went blind from excessive masturbation I suppose he might have a point. I wonder if that is what @robocop (actually) is implying:eek:
What makes him have a point is that he was the one who figured out you can add an element to temporarily stop the heart from beating so you can perform open heart surgery.

This man is a world-renowned surgeon, and he claims it is bad for you. I never said anything about going blind.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
What makes him have a point is that he was the one who figured out you can add an element to temporarily stop the heart from beating so you can perform open heart surgery.
What does that have to do with masturbation?

If he told you that fairies live in his garden would you believe it?
Tom

Galateasdream

@robocop (actually)

Just to maybe cut out some time ...

If the science suggested that there were no actual harmful health effects of masturbation, would you start doing it?

Or is masturbation a sin regardless of whether it has any harmful physical effects or not?

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
@robocop (actually)

Just to maybe cut out some time ...

If the science suggested that there were no actual harmful health effects of masturbation, would you start doing it?

Or is masturbation a sin regardless of whether it has any harmful physical effects or not?
I think science and religion should add together, but you don't have to have every theory of science exactly on your side all the time.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
You said that because he was a surgeon and a prophet his opinion about masturbation matters more than the rest of us.
I don't know why exactly. Feel free to explain.
Tom
Because he's a world famous surgeon who pioneered open heart surgery, and because he spent many years as a surgeon, I value his medical opinion on masturbation.

You don't have to believe in my religion and that is just as much of a statement.

Galateasdream

I think science and religion should add together, but you don't have to have every theory of science exactly on your side.

Forgive me, but I'm going to pin you down so people don't waste a lot of misplaced time and effort on this thread.

For what it's worth, I agree that science and religion 'should' add together.

But in this specific case, please answer the direct questions below with a yes or no response:

If the science showed that masturbation had no harmful physical health consequences, would it still be a sin for other reasons? Y/N

If the science showed that masturbation had no harmful physical health consequences, would you start masturbating? Y/N

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

This man is a world-renowned surgeon, and he claims it is bad for you. I never said anything about going blind.
The problem is he is well out of his area of expertise pushing a religious based agenda. I gave you an example of how he could potentially have a say in this and now you tell us that it is not so.

Last edited: