• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why not allowed to have sex?

Saw11_2000

Cuz one of their bosses said so.

I think it might be a remedy for the scandal going on now if the priests could marry.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I thought they were allowed to have sex, though it's frowned upon and restricted to certain sorts of women. :sarcastic

They take vows of celibacy, not chastity. :eek:

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Celibacy IS chastity.
It is close but I believe there is a minor distinction.

I thought chastity meant you would remain a virgin, celibacy is a vow not to have sex. Excuse me if I am wrong.

SK2005

Saint in training
Celibacy-
  1. Abstinence from sexual intercourse, especially by reason of religious vows.
  2. The condition of being unmarried.
Chastity(chaste)-
  1. Morally pure in thought or conduct; decent and modest.
    1. Not having experienced sexual intercourse; virginal. Abstaining from unlawful sexual intercourse.
    2. Abstaining from all sexual intercourse; celibate.
  2. Pure or simple in design or style; austere.

Master Vigil

Because in Catholic tradition, Jesus did not marry and have sex. And the holy men (monks, friars, priests, bishops, cardinals, popes, etc...) are to be as much like Jesus as possible. And if they married and had sex, that would not be like Jesus. They are also to be completely devout to god and their community. They have a hard enough job, they don't need the stress of a family. Which is why Protestant ministers have an extremely high divorce rate.

jimbob

The Celt
Another reason they don't have sex or marry, is because they devot there entire life to their job and Christ. It's not like they never have fun, but they have bowling and camping type fun, not getting married type fun.

SK2005

Saint in training
The people that I know, mostly a few priests, and a bishop, love the work that they do. I hear a lot of people say, well, wouldn't they want a family, which is very true, it is something I think about sometimes. But then I have heard my good friend Fr. Tom say that I am his family and so is everyone else. He has a wonderful life, full of many people that he loves and people that love him, including me. So, among bowling and camping fun, they still participate in family activites, with their parish families.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Master Vigil said:
Because in Catholic tradition, Jesus did not marry and have sex. And the holy men (monks, friars, priests, bishops, cardinals, popes, etc...) are to be as much like Jesus as possible. And if they married and had sex, that would not be like Jesus. They are also to be completely devout to god and their community. They have a hard enough job, they don't need the stress of a family. Which is why Protestant ministers have an extremely high divorce rate.
First, I believe Jesus was married. This is one of the reasons the Jews did not accept him as the saviour. Marriages were arranged, you did not have a choice in who you married, but Jesus married the woman he loved, and she stayed by his side to the end, just as his mother did. And she was the first to see him after the crucifixion.

Anyway, getting off the subject. I agree that celibacy has become a Catholic tradition. It was a method used to reach enlightenment. Same as the monks' vow of silence. And fasting. To throw a really big kink in some hoses. I believe that the priesthood and sisterhood of the Catholic church became a place for 'homosexuals' to find a purpose.

Think about this. Most of us have the instinct to find a spouse and have children. But someone who does not have urges for the opposite sex, might well be here to serve a higher purpose than merely populating the earth. A gay man can 'love' both genders equally where a heterosexual male will not have the same compassion for a fellow man as they do for women.

I came up with this because the Indians consider homosexuals to be special, they were often the medicine men or women of the tribe. And I also there are all these reports about sexual abuse by the priests. Have you noticed how the Church always steps in and says 'They will handle it' then often the guilty priest is just relocated, not de-frocked?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
The reason that the Western Church has maintained a celibate clergy is primarily and emphatically spiritual. The goal of those united in the sacrament of matrimony is union with Christ by MEANS of their union and the offspring it produces. The goal of Christian celibacy is DIRECT union with Christ. Those who consecrate themselves to Christ by means of celibacy go directly to that union that is the goal of both vocations. Celibacy is an outward and powerful sign that such a goal is worthwhile and within the reach of everyone. And furthermore, it signifies the fact that God is worth the dedication of our lives whether celibate or married.

In a world that more and more devalues the sacredness of the life-long commitment of husband and wife, and the true context of sexuality in human living, concecrated celibacy, because it is not always easy, speaks to the existence of values that are greater and more sublime than the vicissitudes of our day-to-day concerns. In other words, the love Christ has for us as expressed in His broken body on the cross, DESERVES not only the sacrifices inherient in Christian marriage, but also the sacrifice of celibacy: choosing Him alone as one's only partner through life.

The one fact about the priesthood in the Western Church that most non-Catholics know, even if they know nothing else, it is the fact that such priests are celibate. For this reason, the Church sees a celibate clergy not only as an invaluable tool in teaching the sacredness of Christ's priesthood, but an unavoidable sign of the recognition and homage He deserves as our soverign God.
Originally Posted by Fr. Vincent Serpa
(http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=558327#post558327):)

Master Vigil

EnhancedSpirit said:
First, I believe Jesus was married. This is one of the reasons the Jews did not accept him as the saviour. Marriages were arranged, you did not have a choice in who you married, but Jesus married the woman he loved, and she stayed by his side to the end, just as his mother did. And she was the first to see him after the crucifixion.

Anyway, getting off the subject. I agree that celibacy has become a Catholic tradition. It was a method used to reach enlightenment. Same as the monks' vow of silence. And fasting. To throw a really big kink in some hoses. I believe that the priesthood and sisterhood of the Catholic church became a place for 'homosexuals' to find a purpose.

Think about this. Most of us have the instinct to find a spouse and have children. But someone who does not have urges for the opposite sex, might well be here to serve a higher purpose than merely populating the earth. A gay man can 'love' both genders equally where a heterosexual male will not have the same compassion for a fellow man as they do for women.

I came up with this because the Indians consider homosexuals to be special, they were often the medicine men or women of the tribe. And I also there are all these reports about sexual abuse by the priests. Have you noticed how the Church always steps in and says 'They will handle it' then often the guilty priest is just relocated, not de-frocked?
Interesting theory, but I don't think that comes close to the real reason. I was very much a heterosexual male when I decided to be a priest. It isn't to get away from something. If you want to be a priest to get away from something like your sexuality, your family, your depressed life, etc..., you're not going to last through the seminary. I do find it interesting that the homosexuals in some cultures are the ones who are seen as special, as well as those with extra fingers, etc... But it's different for the catholic church. Much different.

And I'm not going to debate about whether jesus married or not. I personally don't think he did, and the catholic church doesn't. So that is why in their tradition, they don't marry.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Master Vigil said:
Interesting theory, but I don't think that comes close to the real reason. I was very much a heterosexual male when I decided to be a priest. It isn't to get away from something. If you want to be a priest to get away from something like your sexuality, your family, your depressed life, etc..., you're not going to last through the seminary. I do find it interesting that the homosexuals in some cultures are the ones who are seen as special, as well as those with extra fingers, etc... But it's different for the catholic church. Much different.

And I'm not going to debate about whether jesus married or not. I personally don't think he did, and the catholic church doesn't. So that is why in their tradition, they don't marry.
No I am not saying that homosexuals were 'hiding' from their sexuality. Nor do I believe that all priests or nuns are homosexual. But I believe they have a purpose. I believe homosexuals have a better much better sense of compassion and understanding than the majority of heterosexuals. My comments on this matter are based on observation, not TRUTH.

Master Vigil

EnhancedSpirit said:
No I am not saying that homosexuals were 'hiding' from their sexuality. Nor do I believe that all priests or nuns are homosexual. But I believe they have a purpose. I believe homosexuals have a better much better sense of compassion and understanding than the majority of heterosexuals. My comments on this matter are based on observation, not TRUTH.
Ah, oki doki. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ceridwen018 said:
Celibacy IS chastity.
Celibacy is the state of being unmarried. Only recently has misusage extended its meaning to include chastity.

Random House College Dictionary:
1. State of being unmarried.
2. Abstention by vow from marriage.
3. Abstention from sexual relations.

Other languages retain the original Latin sense: Fr. Celibataire -- a. single, n. bachelor, spinster.

At the time the Latin church instituted celibacy for its clergy the term meant only unmarried.

anami

i have come to believe that Jesus may have intended for women to pass along the knowledge of his teachings. With the frustration Peter has with women, as illuminated by the Gnostic gospels, it is very believable that the entire church as built by Peter was against the intention of Jesus. One of those is to restrict women from teaching and drive away aspects of women men may appriciate enough to be swayed by, in idea. Using sex to control men into controlling women all under the name of a God he dubbed "he".

Gotta love Peter, after all, it is he who stands at the gate.

( no, i am not a Christian nor do i think badly about the faith. i am Pantheological [not "World Pantheology" but an actual pantheological view.)

Not to have sex is ridiculous. The whole existence of the human race is to reproduce and if everyone didn't have sex then the human race would die out.

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
unbeliever said:
Not to have sex is ridiculous. The whole existence of the human race is to reproduce and if everyone didn't have sex then the human race would die out.
I disagree we are talking a handful of people here, and if thier Faith is important to them they do as they believe. Nothing wrong with a few people doing without sex. My views :)

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
anami said:
i have come to believe that Jesus may have intended for women to pass along the knowledge of his teachings. With the frustration Peter has with women, as illuminated by the Gnostic gospels, it is very believable that the entire church as built by Peter was against the intention of Jesus. One of those is to restrict women from teaching and drive away aspects of women men may appriciate enough to be swayed by, in idea. Using sex to control men into controlling women all under the name of a God he dubbed "he".

Gotta love Peter, after all, it is he who stands at the gate.
Interesting view. I don't think Peter was against Jesus or visa versa. He was crucified upside down because he felt he was not worthy of Christ. Women have a place in Church, just as men do. One is not more important then the other. Paul talked about this in 1st Corinthians, 12:12.