• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
................. The outside world is not rational. The world is semi-rational..................!
The now disabled world as described by the selfish distorted form of love the world now displays as described at 2 Timothy 3:1-5,13 to me is Not semi-rational but even less rational with each passing day.

Yes, agree first the gospel came to the Jew (Luke 4:43) and second the Samaritans, and then the Gentile nations.
At Pentecost God was finished with fleshly national Israel (Matthew 23:38) and the 'Israel of God' (Galatians 6:16) became the Christian congregation. That is why Peter refers to Christians as a spiritual nation - 1 Peter 2:5, 9.
Since Pentecost the 'Israel of God ' is Jerusalem ' above '- Galatians 4:26.
Heavenly Jerusalem is way too BIG to fit on Earth as we can read about its SIZE starting at Revelation 21:15-17.
A city that is a perfect cube (12,000 furlongs or 1,380 miles in perimeter). Surrounded by a wall 144 cubits (or 210 feet high). In other words 14 times as large as modern national Israel, and each city gate was one pearl.- see Rev. 21:18-21.
This means the city would tower about 350 miles into outer space.
The ' Bride ' is composed of people like those of Luke 22:28-30; Daniel 7:18; Revelation 20:6; Revelation 2:10.
Ok, Gentiles are wild branches grafted into the Jewish tree. Israel has been blinded in part but a time coming when their eyes opened and will have a big harvest of Jewish believers.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
How does that calculate whats between n-universes? Cmon.YT. Light and time is within the universe.
Except that, according to the Bible, angels can come to the earth almost immediately, they are not bound by the "laws of gravity," and God can hear our prayers.

YoursTrue

Ok, Gentiles are wild branches grafted into the Jewish tree. Israel has been blinded in part but a time coming when their eyes opened and will have a big harvest of Jewish believers.
Really? It's not like there hasn't been time. Just the fact that humanity (not just Jews) is still alive is proof that God is over all, some will be saved, and others will not be.

YoursTrue

We use reason to understand and explain what reality is and how it works. Everyone else in the world is part of reality. It's one's self that interacts with them.
I deny that reality as such is a fairytale. We still have a lot to learn about it, and ourselves, H sap sap, as part of it, but it and we are all real.
Yes, that's one way of expressing one part of physics, but that doesn't make it unreal, or magical, or fictitious ─ it makes it one way of expressing one part of physics.
It's interesting, as you say, that reality to some in the Bible was their personal relationship with YHWH. And which has been recorded for our benefit.

ecco

Veteran Member
Are you a god? Or god to someone? Maybe yourself? Hey, that's an idea -- maybe you're your own god. Or is it your mother or your father that are gods? After all -- you say they created you, right? Or evolved you, I suppose. You evolved from them. Maybe. Or the law of dynamic energy is your god since "it' created you via your mama and poppa. Anyway, maybe I'll see ya sometime in the future. Bye for now...
Feel free to continue to duck and dodge and ramble on and on. I've come to expect nothing more.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's interesting, as you say, that reality to some in the Bible was their personal relationship with YHWH. And which has been recorded for our benefit.
I approach the bible as a set of historical documents, and I attribute no supernatural properties to it. The archaeological evidence doesn't support the Egyptian captivity or the historicity of Moses, or the splendor of Solomon, for example. What we have is a set of records of folk story, folk history, bits of real history, along with rules, genealogies, songs, stories, wisdom, polemic, politics and so on.

Or to put that another way, why doesn't God talk to anyone these days? Why doesn't [he] have [his] own hour a week on TV? Or at least a Christmas Message like the UK's queen? Why instead is there nothing different to what we do and what chance does?

YoursTrue

I think it means what it says
Yes, it means what it says, but there are ways to comprehend.
For instance, Exodus 19:5 says, in context, "Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:" (If ye will obey my voice...and keep my covenant...THEN ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people.."

YoursTrue

I approach the bible as a set of historical documents, and I attribute no supernatural properties to it. The archaeological evidence doesn't support the Egyptian captivity or the historicity of Moses, or the splendor of Solomon, for example. What we have is a set of records of folk story, folk history, bits of real history, along with rules, genealogies, songs, stories, wisdom, polemic, politics and so on.

Or to put that another way, why doesn't God talk to anyone these days? Why doesn't [he] have [his] own hour a week on TV? Or at least a Christmas Message like the UK's queen? Why instead is there nothing different to what we do and what chance does?
The archeological records support many things written. But they cannot support everything because excavations are still being done, there is much detail in the Bible that no one would have understood or recognized if not for the Bible and the support by God of the nation of Israel during those times. Thinking about the wilderness and the sojourn there, it wasn't like they made brick and mortar buidings for permanent use there. Jesus said the Good News of God's kingdom will be preached, and it is being done so. Not all will listen, or want to listen.
Let me ask you a question. Do you believe that the Devil, known as Satan, exists? I'm not sure of your beliefs.
Nevertheless, the reality is that we all have a reality. For instance, I would not have known about gravity as a law if no one explained it to me.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The archeological records support many things written. But they cannot support everything because excavations are still being done, there is much detail in the Bible that no one would have understood or recognized if not for the Bible and the support by God of the nation of Israel during those times.
It's true that the bible has drawn attention to particular archaeological sites; but then, so has the Iliad, and so have many other ancient documents. But the absence of an Egyptian captivity from the historical and archaeological records is a major problem for your argument, and there are many more such problems.
Jesus said the Good News of God's kingdom will be preached, and it is being done so. Not all will listen, or want to listen.
You didn't address the question, why Jesus? Why Judea? Why a human? If God has a message for the world, the least [he] should try to do is tell the world, not just Judea. Two thousand years later there are still parts of the world who've never heard of Jesus.
Do you believe that the Devil, known as Satan, exists? I'm not sure of your beliefs.
No. The only way in which any supernatural being is known to exist is as a concept or thing imagined in an individual brain. If that's wrong, if you can show me a real supernatural being, one with objective existence, one found in nature, I assure you of my serious interest.

YoursTrue

It's true that the bible has drawn attention to particular archaeological sites; but then, so has the Iliad, and so have many other ancient documents. But the absence of an Egyptian captivity from the historical and archaeological records is a major problem for your argument, and there are many more such problems.
You didn't address the question, why Jesus? Why Judea? Why a human? If God has a message for the world, the least [he] should try to do is tell the world, not just Judea. Two thousand years later there are still parts of the world who've never heard of Jesus.
No. The only way in which any supernatural being is known to exist is as a concept or thing imagined in an individual brain. If that's wrong, if you can show me a real supernatural being, one with objective existence, one found in nature, I assure you of my serious interest.
I don't know about the sites of the Iliad, and as I am learning from the news here in the U.S. (a book recently written), the famous story we all learned in school about Mexico and the Alamo is virtually a complete fabrication of what the personalities were like and what happened. In fact, the writer himself has been threatend by "right-wingers." What I am saying is that often historical accounts cannot be trusted in any form to tell the truth, and I'm fnot speaking about the Bible. I'm saying that it is possible and likely that the accounts at the time of Moses has been ignored by the Eqyptians themselves at the time (no record), and that any record of what happened has also been obliterated by circumstances. It has also been reported that news reporters in Mexico are being killed because the government and organized crime do not want anything to be covered. Thus the idea that there is no record of Moses in Egypt by anything other than the Bible does not impress me.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't know about the sites of the Iliad, and as I am learning from the news here in the U.S. (a book recently written), the famous story we all learned in school about Mexico and the Alamo is virtually a complete fabrication of what the personalities were like and what happened. In fact, the writer himself has been threatend by "right-wingers." What I am saying is that often historical accounts cannot be trusted in any form to tell the truth, and I'm fnot speaking about the Bible. I'm saying that it is possible and likely that the accounts at the time of Moses has been ignored by the Eqyptians themselves at the time (no record), and that any record of what happened has also been obliterated by circumstances. It has also been reported that news reporters in Mexico are being killed because the government and organized crime do not want anything to be covered. Thus the idea that there is no record of Moses in Egypt by anything other than the Bible does not impress me.
So you really think Moses and Aaron turned the Nile into real blood and back, and that Pharaoh's magicians then turned the Nile into real blood and back in reply?

You think that there really was an Egyptian Captivity and that the only reason the seven plagues were necessary is because God [him]self hardened Pharaoh's heart, and not because Pharaoh was reluctant or recalcitrant?

Really?

YoursTrue

So you really think Moses and Aaron turned the Nile into real blood and back, and that Pharaoh's magicians then turned the Nile into real blood and back in reply?

You think that there really was an Egyptian Captivity and that the only reason the seven plagues were necessary is because God [him]self hardened Pharaoh's heart, and not because Pharaoh was reluctant or recalcitrant?

Really?
Yes. As far as God hardening Pharaoh's heart, He could have softened it if He wanted to. But Pharaoh anyway demonstrated himself, just like many top leaders and others do today. Listening to an interview with a world-class chess player who was forced to wear a habib and had to take a stand and leave her country, pressure and threats involved. And many are imprisoned and moreso because they take a stand against the government. So? The Almighty God allowed Pharaoh's heart to remain in his adamant position. If He hardened it in a way, it (1) obviously was not literal as if giving him a heart attack, but (2) He could have used something to soften it but did not. Just like God could intervene in many unjust situations now, but does NOT. However, I believe He will settle matters. The dichotomy among persons of proclaimed faith, and even those of no faith in God or religion, shows the enormous rift of opinions, unsettling and horrendous as they might be.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes. As far as God hardening Pharaoh's heart, He could have softened it if He wanted to. But Pharaoh anyway demonstrated himself, just like many top leaders and others do today.
No, the bible expressly states that God hardened Pharaoh's heart, and this made all seven plagues necessary. God used Pharaoh as a puppet. Pretty vindictive, no?

ecco

Veteran Member
Or to put that another way, why doesn't God talk to anyone these days? Why doesn't [he] have [his] own hour a week on TV? Or at least a Christmas Message like the UK's queen?
Because he uses messengers like Baháʼu'lláh?

ecco

Veteran Member
For instance, Exodus 19:5 says, in context, "Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:" (If ye will obey my voice...and keep my covenant...THEN ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people.."

That's like a very petty parent saying "If you eat your vegetables and clean your room and don't poop your pants, I will love you".