• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Mormons Are Christian

jonny

I just wrote a blog post on this subject (with a video of the talk & everything!), but wanted to bring it here for discussion also.

Jeffery R. Holland, an Apostle in the LDS Church, gave a talk on the subject of whether the LDS view of the Godhead is Christian or not. What it gets down to is whether or not the Mormon view of the Godhead is supported by the New Testament or the Nicene view of the Trinity is supported by the New Testament. Elder Holland makes it crystal clear that Mormons view of God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost being three separate beings, but united in purpose IS what is taught in the New Testament.

I especially loved this quote, from a fourth-century monk. I'm assuming it was shortly after the councils defined the trinity - “Woe is me! They have taken my God away from me, . . . and I know not whom to adore or to address."

You often hear that Mormons worship a "different Jesus." That may be the case, but the Jesus that Mormons worship is the Jesus found in the New Testament.

jonny

This blogpost at Times & Seasons discusses the quote from the Monk: Times & Seasons » Serapion

In 399, when a letter from Theophilus, the bishop of Alexandria, insisted that the biblical description of God was only allegorical and that the monks must not attribute to God any anthropomorphic characteristics, one Sarapion, an elderly monk of great reputation, found himself unable to pray to the new God, this God of the philosophers, at all. Falling on the ground he groaned: “Woe is me! They have taken my God away from me, and I have none to grasp, and I know not whom to adore or to address.”

jonny

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I guess for those who claim that you must accept the Nicene Creed in order to be Christian, the question is whether or not these "Ancient Christian denominations" can be considered Christian. I've seen many who base extending the label of Christianity on accepting these creeds on this forum.
Perhaps that's because they're closed minded and so aren't worth spending time trying to counter?

jonny

Perhaps that's because they're closed minded and so aren't worth spending time trying to counter?

I'd agree with that, but those who use the "Nicene" definition are in the majority of Christians, so I believe it is a relevant discussion.

KingM

It seems hypocritical to complain that other churches don't consider you Christian and then trash the foundational beliefs of the majority of Christian sects.

jonny

It seems hypocritical to complain that other churches don't consider you Christian and then trash the foundational beliefs of the majority of Christian sects.

The only belief that I'll trash, and gladly trash, is the belief that if you do not accept the Nicene Creed that you are not Christian.

Call me a hypocrite if you want. I've been called much worse.

Now that we have that out of the way, do you have something relevant to add to the discussion, or are you just planning on attacking the messenger?

KingM

The only belief that I'll trash, and gladly trash, is the belief that if you do not accept the Nicene Creed that you are not Christian.

Call me a hypocrite if you want. I've been called much worse.

Now that we have that out of the way, do you have something relevant to add to the discussion, or are you just planning on attacking the messenger?

It sounded like you were trashing the Nicene Creed. Sorry if I was wrong.

Here's a question. Do you consider the polygamist communities of Colorado City to be Mormon? They revere Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. Oh, and they call themselves Mormons.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Here's a question. Do you consider the polygamist communities of Colorado City to be Mormon? They revere Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. Oh, and they call themselves Mormons.
Mormon? Maybe. Latter-day Saint? Definitely not.

jonny

It sounded like you were trashing the Nicene Creed. Sorry if I was wrong.

Watch the video. He doesn't "trash" the creed, but he does explain why we don't believe in it.

I don't consider the polygamist communities to be members of the same church that I belong to. I don't care what they want to call themselves. I believe that most of them probably still consider "Mormon" to be an insult, as do many members of the LDS Church today. Most members of the LDS Church have gotten over that, but Fundamentalist are, well, still living in the past.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
While I certainly have my doubts about the Book of Mormon (sorry), I call Mormons Christians since they do believe in Jesus and follow His teachings. And I have known a lot of Mormons and they are always incredibly kind people.

Aasimar

Atheist
Mormons believe Jesus is divine. Therefore they're Christian.

Yeah, I was gonna say that... again :)

And for the record, everyone follows a different Jesus, I have yet to meet 2 people who totally agree on everything Jesus said, meant, etc. It's kinda a make it up as you go along sort of thing.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
I consider anyone who centres their faith around Jesus, and his teachings, whether they believe him divine, prophet, or teacher, to be a Christian. It's a loose definition, but as the bible is open to interpretation, I see it as the only fair definition in essence, even if some Christians themselves disagree. I digress; since the Latter-day Saints fit the above criteria, I attest to them as being Christian. Period.