• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Matthew,Mark,Luke and John called the GOSPEL?

A

angellous_evangellous

Someone contribute to the delinquency of this young scholar. :biglaugh:

Heneni

Miss Independent
Gospel means good news. The good news of jesus christ is written in the four books, now called the gospels.

A

angellous_evangellous

can you help me please?

Sure.

What level of school are you in right now? Are you in college, grade school (high school or grammar school), or - God Forbid - in graduate school?

It would be of great benefit for you to look up "Gospel" in the Anchor Bible Dictionary in a library.

I guess you don't know about wikipedia -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel

"In Christianity, a gospel (from Old English, gōd spell "good news") is to be generally one of the first four books of the New Testament that describe the birth, life, ministry, crucifixion, and resurrection of Jesus. The four canonical texts are the Gospel of Matthew, Gospel of Mark, Gospel of Luke and Gospel of John, probably written between AD 65 and 100 (see also the Gospel according to the Hebrews). [1][2] They appear to have been originally untitled; they were quoted anonymously in the first half of the second century (i.e. 100 - 150) but the names by which they are currently known appear suddenly around the year 180.[3]"

Last edited by a moderator:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Someone help me. I need to finish my paper works.
If you can access here, I assume you can also access dictionary.com:

gospel definition | Dictionary.com

Origin:
bef. 950; ME go(d)spell, OE gōdspell (see good, spell 2 ); trans. of Gk euangélion good news; see evangel 1
thinsp.png

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Why they choose matthew mark luke and john and not other books?
That's quite the question.

You aren't here just to have other people do your homework for you, are you?

Tell you what: if you want to know the answer, a good starting point might be to do some research on the Synod of Hippo.

A

angellous_evangellous

haha I bet the paper is due in less than one hour

grandstand

That's quite the question.

You aren't here just to have other people do your homework for you, are you?

Tell you what: if you want to know the answer, a good starting point might be to do some research on the Synod of Hippo.

This is not my homework. I'm just confuse about it. I know that the 3 which is matthew mark and luke shared the same point of view. But why those four and not other?:help:

Heneni

Miss Independent
Why they choose matthew mark luke and john and not other books?

Because these books were written by the eyewitnesses to the good news of jesus. The books contain the life and ministry of jesus. The other books contain other very useful information but not an eyewitness account of the life and times of jesus.

Heneni

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This is not my homework.
But it has a deadline? I'm confused.

I'm just confuse about it. I know that the 3 which is matthew mark and luke shared the same point of view. But why those four and not other?:help:
Like I said before, that's quite the question. And the type of response that they're looking for will really depend on what the setting and level is: is this a Sunday school assignment? Is it something for an elementary-level private school? Are you putting a paper together for your Masters of Divinity?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Because these books were written by the eyewitnesses to the good news of jesus. The books contain the life and ministry of jesus. The other books contain other very useful information but not an eyewitness account of the life and times of jesus.
The Gospel according to the Hebrews was not an eyewitness account of the life and times of Jesus?

A

angellous_evangellous

actually it is my research. I need someone that can help me about this topic.

What is the purpose of the research?

A degree, diploma, or certification perhaps?

What you're doing here can hardly be considered "research." I suggest that you pick up some books by Bart Ehrman and Kurt Alland.

grandstand

What is the purpose of the research?

A degree, diploma, or certification perhaps?

What you're doing here can hardly be considered "research." I suggest that you pick up some books by Bart Ehrman and Kurt Alland.

i don't have a copy of that book.
The purpose of my research? For my final paper. To finish my studies about new testament.