• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Many Outside the West Don't Side with the US over China

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Not worse, eh.
Taiwan & Tibet might disagree.
I don't like their behavior with Hong Kong, either, or their attempt at cultural genocide with Muslims in their country. Xi is not a nice person. He is trying to buy influence in the "third world" to gain power in my view. Not exactly a pure motive. I'm tired of that word "third world", but everybody else uses those words.

Truth in love

Western countries are largely aligned with the US, which is largely understandable due to shared interests and some strong common cultural elements. However, when I see black-and-white statements about how the rest of the world should oppose China and side with the US or how anyone who sides with China must be evil, I can't help feeling that such a view simply doesn't acknowledge the more comprehensive picture and the perspective of many outside the Western world.

China has significant investments in the Arab world, Africa, and Asia. Furthermore, from my perspective as an Arab and African person, China has historically been much less hostile to my region and people than Western powers like the US, UK, and France. In the last 100 years alone, the US has waged multiple wars on Arab and Asian countries. The UK and France both colonized Egypt near the beginning of the 20th century, and England only left Egypt in the '50s.

Between the severe exploitation of African and Arab nations, installation and support of dictatorships, and military aggression, what reason is there for Arab and African nations to side with the US over China? Yes, China has a litany of human rights abuses and is a dictatorship, but in addition to the fact that no global superpower is innocent, the domestic freedoms in the US simply have no bearing on its foreign policy.

What do I, an Arab and African national, gain from siding with the US over China just because the US has more domestic freedoms? When we look at foreign policy in the last 150 years, the US, UK, and France have been much more hostile, destructive, and exploitative toward my region than China has even come close to being.

So if the argument is that China is oppressive domestically, we could say the same about the US in terms of its foreign policy. If the argument is that China opposes democracy and independence of a sovereign nation in Taiwan, we could point to Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq as examples that the US and its closest allies are not much better or different.

This thread is meant to give a perspective that is far from uncommon where I live (in the Arab world), because sometimes I feel like some Western individuals and media outlets get so caught up in their own countries' interests and one-sided perspective that they fail to realize why many outside the West aren't so readily open to aligning themselves with them—as has been the case concerning the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

While I'm no fan of China, I simply see no reason to regard it as worse than the US as far as foreign policy goes and a few reasons to potentially regard it as actually better in that area (e.g., being less hawkish and less inclined to wage wars, at least in recent history). If anyone has an argument as to why I or anyone else in my part of the world should, I'm definitely open to hearing it.

The US has issues, but at the core there is a value of things like freedom of speech, movement, religion etc.

The us intered people of Japanese decent by the thousands, China is currently abusing people by the millions.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Western countries are largely aligned with the US, which is largely understandable due to shared interests and some strong common cultural elements. However, when I see black-and-white statements about how the rest of the world should oppose China and side with the US or how anyone who sides with China must be evil, I can't help feeling that such a view simply doesn't acknowledge the more comprehensive picture and the perspective of many outside the Western world.

China has significant investments in the Arab world, Africa, and Asia. Furthermore, from my perspective as an Arab and African person, China has historically been much less hostile to my region and people than Western powers like the US, UK, and France. In the last 100 years alone, the US has waged multiple wars on Arab and Asian countries. The UK and France both colonized Egypt near the beginning of the 20th century, and England only left Egypt in the '50s.

Between the severe exploitation of African and Arab nations, installation and support of dictatorships, and military aggression, what reason is there for Arab and African nations to side with the US over China? Yes, China has a litany of human rights abuses and is a dictatorship, but in addition to the fact that no global superpower is innocent, the domestic freedoms in the US simply have no bearing on its foreign policy.

What do I, an Arab and African national, gain from siding with the US over China just because the US has more domestic freedoms? When we look at foreign policy in the last 150 years, the US, UK, and France have been much more hostile, destructive, and exploitative toward my region than China has even come close to being.

So if the argument is that China is oppressive domestically, we could say the same about the US in terms of its foreign policy. If the argument is that China opposes democracy and independence of a sovereign nation in Taiwan, we could point to Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq as examples that the US and its closest allies are not much better or different.

This thread is meant to give a perspective that is far from uncommon where I live (in the Arab world), because sometimes I feel like some Western individuals and media outlets get so caught up in their own countries' interests and one-sided perspective that they fail to realize why many outside the West aren't so readily open to aligning themselves with them—as has been the case concerning the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

While I'm no fan of China, I simply see no reason to regard it as worse than the US as far as foreign policy goes and a few reasons to potentially regard it as actually better in that area (e.g., being less hawkish and less inclined to wage wars, at least in recent history). If anyone has an argument as to why I or anyone else in my part of the world should, I'm definitely open to hearing it.

I don't think it's any secret around here that I very often don't see eye to eye with the U.S. government and our policymakers. I've also been quite critical of U.S. foreign policy, although that's a long history in and of itself.

The history of US-Chinese relations has certainly had its ups and downs. When Nixon visited China in 1972, it set off a chain of events in which relations warmed up to a degree, and China seemed more and more capitalist-friendly. It was a great boon for Western capitalists, who capitalized on cheap labor and also gained access to the largest market in the world. National security perceptions during the Cold War considered the Soviet Bloc the focus, while China was considered an ally against the Soviet Bloc, despite the fact that they were still ruled by the Communist Party. This perception still continued even after the fall of the USSR, which was kind of inexplicable at the time.

As I recall, both major US political parties supported closer trade ties with China as far back as the 1980s, although it really took off in the 1990s. Even despite the Tiananmen Square massacre, the US leadership turned the blind eye because there was a lot of money to be made for US capitalists. Those same capitalists threw caution to the four winds and outsourced entire industries, leaving immense economic wreckage in their wake - a lot of which we're still dealing with today. The trade-off is that we get manufactured goods at a slightly lower price than it would be if manufactured here. On the other hand, with everything being made in China, we put ourselves in a position where we're practically dependent upon them, at least in the short-term.

Western politicians and capitalists recklessly jumped into bed with the Chinese government, and didn't really seem to consider the consequences or the ramifications. They knew what they were getting into; they knew the track record of the government they were dealing with. Why would they try to seek out some kind of rapprochement with that regime just to turn around and say "we don't like you anymore"? It seems that whatever cozy relationship which once existed between the ruling classes of China and the United States has gone sour, for whatever reason.

As for how that affects the rest of the world, it's hard to say. I suppose it depends on which area of the world we're talking about. The Communists spoke out against Western colonialism and imperialism in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and this may have resonated with some people living in those regions. Although not all bought into Marx or Lenin, and the ideology itself was a bit of a hard sell on the world stage. I don't know if the Chinese are even going that route, or if they're just investing in these countries as any international capitalists would do.

The West is in a situation where they don't really hold the upper hand as much as they used to. The Soviet Bloc grew to be rather formidable at its peak, but eventually collapsed. The Chinese are also becoming more formidable, and if they form an alliance with Russia (and possibly other nations), it could weaken the West's hegemony in some nations and areas of the world.

I agree with you about the West's history of atrocity and supporting dictatorships throughout the world. Our track record is quite poor in that regard. But I also believe that the West overplayed its hand and got too arrogant and cocky for its own good. Now, we're facing recession and internal dissension at a disconcerting level. If the U.S. political and economic situation continues to spiral downward, then U.S. economic influence on the world will wane.

I've often thought that, one way other nations could have avoided or fended off Western hegemony is if they unified and formed a united front. Just a hypothetical question: What if all the nations of Africa came together and formed a singular military/political alliance, something like the EU and NATO rolled into one? They could pool their resources and form a strong enough bloc as to prevent any Western or other outside power from muscling in or interfering in their internal affairs. But that doesn't seem likely to happen at all.

But it seems clear that they're easier for the West to control while they remain small, but independent sovereign states, yet only on the surface. If we don't like how someone is running things, we find a way to replace them. But it seems our like or dislike of national leaders is proportionate to how much the business community likes or dislikes them. What an odd coincidence.

With China, it might be the same thing. Maybe their policy is driven by capitalist greed, even despite being officially communist. China seems driven by nationalism more than anything else.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Nation and nations father became an agreed world legal position. My owned given land rights. A subject review.

Land rights by nationality of parental history in its own nation.

Legal rights. Nothing legal about any type of take over of a national countries father. Is what they claim.

In Australia our continent was ice bridge accessed. Factually we own no national DNA father.

Our personal rights is already world communal agreed. Not any one nations status. Legal mutual agreed natural family rights. Living together like first family ever did anywhere.

As human rights comes before national rights legally.

Based on scientific human parent origins same family once was all humans. Anywhere no governing leader to be a greedy human.

So sharing the world status is in every countries moral human rights.

Many nations father's would not agree to first natural human rights themselves. Is their own national awareness already. Don't want other family DNA infiltrating their nation.

You own no legal rights of any countries takeover. By that exact human only realisation. You want to own hold personal status by DNA.

Teaching is human realised living conditions. We have in a communal world family group better legal rights and living status. Why humans came from other countries to be allowed to express families natural freedom.

Lifestyle is involved in spiritual happiness.

As it had been taken from us by greedy dictatorships. Many of those greedy beliefs still expressed in their own countries national DNA position. By greedy rich man's history.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
China vs. the West (U.S. being the leader). Who is on the side of freedom and democracy? I think it is very clear.

China's actions are to serve the interests of the Chinese Communist Party first.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The US has issues, but at the core there is a value of things like freedom of speech, movement, religion etc.
The point was what does the domestic stuff matter when foriegn policy of one of war and repression in his lands while the other has mostly left his lands alone, especially with the bombs and bullets.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Greedy men historic sent other humans to other lands.

We've lived the evil history. We say today living present in presence our gift of life I have learnt. History evil and egotists human behaviour.

Begin again now. So you have to heal accountability of all wrong's.

Obviously other humans haven't learnt.

As humans stealing food just to survive were sent away by greedy humans. Into enforced illegal slavery. In other countries. They became our new home.

We now are living freely. We want equality mutual living standards. We've had enough of greedy lying manipulating humans whose historic rich man's lifestyle was evilly enforced.

Rich only by false history when men change spiritual behaviour by gained star fall brain burn.

Prickled sacrificed minds.

So along comes the Jesus teaching against science technology and history greedy evil humans.

Brain prickled again. Meek loving kind caring teachings relaying how his mother's life suffering had chastised him.

As many Jesus topics are also mans evil. Mans nastiness.

Is our truth.

Why did brain prickling life sacrificed give you any human rights to become by groups life bully men agreed and life destroyer? Said Jesus terms?

Instead of being life spiritual aware men?

Living greedily in humans family forced slavery claiming it right for mutual family slavery now to exist. But not right for all humans to be rich?

Why should all family be poor and a few rich. Why not everyone be rich?

As rich men leaders. Rich men in trade. History evil men?

Where's your real excuse brothers?
Truth....you don't own any real excuse.

Each day all you ensure is your own lifestyle.

Ignoring that poor people began life anew in new countries. Once forced to leave but now own understanding of family mutual freedom rights.

Termed criminals for starving to steal food due to humans greed in their own countries.

Our learning is to share any glut with family. So greed cannot destroy life on earth by bad man's choices.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

First, there's a lot to admire about China and their achievement for the Chinese people since Mao's death. From such a low base to a modern world power is remarkable.

Second, China doesn't have civil rights as the West understands the term, doesn't have equality as the Uighurs understand the term, doesn't recognize the rule of law, doesn't have responsible government.

I think all of those matter a great deal, are things of great value. So do the people of Taiwan. So did the people of Hong Kong.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't like their behavior with Hong Kong, either, or their attempt at cultural genocide with Muslims in their country. Xi is not a nice person. He is trying to buy influence in the "third world" to gain power in my view. Not exactly a pure motive. I'm tired of that word "third world", but everybody else uses those words.
Aye, domestic policies in China are indeed far worse
than USA's...for those of us who value civil liberties
over enforced political & social uniformity.
And there's the problem...when China conquers
another country, eg, Tibet, they take it & remake it
in their own image. I see this as more dangerous
than USA's foreign policy.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Chile and El Salvador say hi
They're still independent countries, unlike Tibet.
And Taiwan faces military assault & acquisition.
Do you find all those situations similar in degree?
I don't.

Caution:
Let any who think I defend USA foreign policy
be disabused of that impression. It's terrible.
But China's is worse (IMO).

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
First, there's a lot to admire about China and their achievement for the Chinese people since Mao's death. From such a low base to a modern world power is remarkable.

Second, China doesn't have civil rights as the West understands the term, doesn't have equality as the Uighurs understand the term, doesn't recognize the rule of law, doesn't have responsible government.

I think all of those matter a great deal, are things of great value. So do the people of Taiwan. So did the people of Hong Kong.
China ought to die a horrible hideous death politically.

The Chinese people can do much better than live life in a totalitarian communist regime.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
China has peaked. They will soon be a basket case.
They are currently in economic death, however they have chosen the time when to have that death.

I think their crash seems purposeful and planned. They have both created and killed their own real estate bubble and in doing so have destroyed the wealth of most of their citizens. It was known that this would happen but not when, so they chose when strategically. I think of it as the beginning of a renewed great leap forward with the population once more humbled and ready to work at any wage. By popping their financial bubble early on: they're planning to take advantage of the coming global financial troubles.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd like to see regime change.
But by their own hand.

I think it will eventually happen. Those making the money right now are not going to want to be out of political power forever. They will tolerate the Communist party as long as it serves their interests, but eventually there will be a clash and the system will have to change.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think it will eventually happen. Those making the money right now are not going to want to be out of political power forever. They will tolerate the Communist party as long as it serves their interests, but eventually there will be a clash and the system will have to change.
Given the firm hand China's leadership has
on government & culture, I wonder. I see
hope lying in a change in the ruling culture.
What's the opposite of "grass roots"?

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
I want to make clear that I am tired of "big powers" trying to get the upper hand in the world. I live in the US, and I'm including us in that.

In my opinion the reason Putin is warring on Ukraine right now is to assert that that his country is among the leading powers, and to bring those "glorious" days back before when the Soviet Union broke up, and countries in Eastern Europe were under their control.

Going back further, The Soviet Union and the US were the big powers, and this led to the Vietnam War, and the Soviet Union invading Afghanistan.

Further back in time, Hitler was vying to take over Europe and Japan was aspiring to take over the Pacific area, in order for dominance in those regions.

Will we ever learn?