• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Jesus Will Never Return and How the Bible Refutes Itself

sooda

Veteran Member
In this authoritative book, Gary DeMar clears the haze of "end-times" fever, shedding light on the most difficult and studied prophetic passages in the Bible, including Daniel 7:13-14; 9:24-27; Matt. 16:27-28; 24-25; Thess. 2; 2 Peter 3:3-13, and clearly explaining a host of other controversial topics, including:

• The Meaning of Near, Shortly, Quickly, and "This Generation"
  • The Prophetic Discourse of Matthew 24
  • The Rebuilt Temple
  • The Abomination of Desolation
  • The Man of Lawlessness
  • The Meaning of 666
  • The Return of Jesus
  • The Cursed Fig Tree
  • The Passing Away of Heaven and Earth
  • The Antichrist and Armageddon
  • The Rapture
  • The Identity of "Mystery Babylon"
  • And so much more....
In this book, DeMar tests your views and renews your zeal for the living truth. This is the most thoroughly documented and comprehensive study of Bible prophecy ever written! Last Days Madness will be your survival guide and spiritual compass to ensure you escape the paralysis of last days madness.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
The central teaching of Christianity is that of the return of Jesus and final judgment, when Jesus will supposedly return, riding on the clouds of Heaven, to gather his so-called "elect" and carry them to heaven while raining fiery judgment upon all of the non-believers, while they tremble in fear of the "son of man" along with his "heavenly father." However, the Bible itself indicates that this will never occur, since this prophecy had a very specific time-frame on it. According to the bible, Jesus was supposed to return within the lifetimes' of the people who lived at the time Jesus lived on earth. There are many passages in the new testament that explicitly predict that the final judgment, return of Christ, rapture of believers and damnation of non-believers, was going to occur within the first century. Well, it never happened. And, guess what. It's never going to happen. Here is a selection of false prophecies from the bible concerning the return of Jesus. *Note:* Some Christian apologists make the mistaken argument that Matthew 10:23 is somehow not referring to Jesus' second coming. However, I included CONTEXT of all of these passages to emphasize that Matthew 10:21 contains the same words as Mark 13:12, a passage which is clearly referring to the final judgment, indicating that Matthew 10:23 clearly does in fact refer to the final judgment. The exact symmetry of these passages is emphasized by my underlining in the passages below, indicating that they are clearly referring to the same event.

Furthermore, some Christian apologists also mistakenly argue that the "this generation" referred to in Mark 13 is not a reference to a literal generation. However, given that Matthew 10 describes the same Armageddon events alluded to in Mark 13, and given that Matthew 10 predicts that these events will occur within the disciples' lifetimes, indeed, before they finish going through the towns of Israel we can be sure that the generation referred to in Mark 13 is the generation alive at Jesus' time. In this way, when taken in context these two Scriptures clearly confirm each other to be false. But since this obviously erroneous prophecy is repeated so many times in the New Testament, I included two other occurences as well.

Matthew 16:27-28:
For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done.

“Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

Matthew 10:21-23:
“Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

Matthew 13:12-30:
Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child. Children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. Everyone will hate you because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.

“When you see ‘the abomination that causes desolation’ standing where it does not belong—let the reader understand—then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. Let no one on the housetop go down or enter the house to take anything out. Let no one in the field go back to get their cloak. How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! Pray that this will not take place in winter, because those will be days of distress unequaled from the beginning, when God created the world, until now—and never to be equaled again.

“If the Lord had not cut short those days, no one would survive. But for the sake of the elect, whom he has chosen, he has shortened them. At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘Look, there he is!’ do not believe it. For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. So be on your guard; I have told you everything ahead of time.

“But in those days, following that distress,

“‘the sun will be darkened,
and the moon will not give its light;
the stars will fall from the sky,
and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’"

At that time people will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory. And he will send his angels and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of the heavens.

“Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that it is near, right at the door.Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.

Matthew 26:63-64:

But Jesus remained silent.

The high priest said to him, “I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Messiah, the Son of God.”

“You have said so,” Jesus replied. “But I say to all of you: From now on you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”

So, after our analysis, it is clear that the second coming of Jesus and final judgment were erroneously predicted by the bible to occur within the lifetimes of the people who lived at the time of Jesus. Thus, there is no reason to believe that they will ever occur.

The Olivet discourse or the final sermon of Jesus near the Mount of Olives refers to two main events. First the destruction of the Jewish temple and the plight of both the Jewish peoples and the Christians. The second event is the Return of another great Spiritual Teacher or Christ and the signs that will herald His coming. They are two seperate, yet related events. Clearly the first set of events took place within a generation. The second set of events could be attributed to Islam and Muhammad. Baha'is also believe some of these verses refer to our prophet, Baha'u'llah. Whether or not the Baha'i Faith will emerged alongside both Christianity and Islam and surpass them both, only time will tell. The reality that Muhammad brought a revelation from God comparable to Jesus is clear to many.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
You are making the same error that many Christian pastors and apologists make in attempting to make the passages about an event other than Armageddon. This is why, in my original post, I included the context of the scriptures, and underlined the portions (which are found in multiple passages) that confirm that the scriptures are in fact referring to the Final Judgment, and thus, each prophecy reinforces and confirms the failure of both itself and the others.
Question for you: why does an omniscient, omnipotent God need a "final judgment?" Isn't one judgment enough, for one so supremely gifted?

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
The central teaching of Christianity is that of the return of Jesus and final judgment, when Jesus will supposedly return, riding on the clouds of Heaven, to gather his so-called "elect" and carry them to heaven while raining fiery judgment upon all of the non-believers, while they tremble in fear of the "son of man" along with his "heavenly father."

It's easy to refute a strawman.

This is not a teaching of Christianity.

According to the bible, Jesus was supposed to return within the lifetimes' of the people who lived at the time Jesus lived on earth.

Incorrect, this defies the purpose of Jesus conquering death by arising from his tomb, but not in a fleshly form.

There are many passages in the new testament that explicitly predict that the final judgment, return of Christ, rapture of believers and damnation of non-believers, was going to occur within the first century.

Incorrect the rapture is a false doctrine and is not Biblical. It's also conflicts with your previous statement that Jesus was supposed to come back within the lifetime of the people that lived in His day.

This is the woman that came up with the false doctrine of the rapture. She was born in 1815. So how can her doctrine apply to your claim Jesus was returning shortly after his death?
Margaret MacDonald (visionary) - Wikipedia

The rest of your post about scripture is just as nonsensical as your misunderstandings of basic biblical knowledge above. So no need to swat them down one at a time. You're trying to tackle college level academia with only a pre-school level of understanding of the subject. I suggest you study more.

sooda

Veteran Member
The Olivet discourse or the final sermon of Jesus near the Mount of Olives refers to two main events. First the destruction of the Jewish temple and the plight of both the Jewish peoples and the Christians. The second event is the Return of another great Spiritual Teacher or Christ and the signs that will herald His coming. They are two seperate, yet related events. Clearly the first set of events took place within a generation. The second set of events could be attributed to Islam and Muhammad. Baha'is also believe some of these verses refer to our prophet, Baha'u'llah. Whether or not the Baha'i Faith will emerged alongside both Christianity and Islam and surpass them both, only time will tell. The reality that Muhammad brought a revelation from God comparable to Jesus is clear to many.

The Olivete discourse proclaimed in Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke 21, was fulfilled in the first century.

If you reject that statement, let me remind you that Messiah declared “Verily I say unto you, this generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.”

Too many people put aside Messiah’s clear proclamation, but I take Him at His Word, and have proven how indeed it was all fulfilled in that generation.

The Olivet Discourse Deception

Rational Agnostic

It's easy to refute a strawman.

This is not a teaching of Christianity.

I don't know what version of "Christianity" you are familiar with, but it was the central teaching in the churches that I grew up attending. In fact, belief in the propositions I alluded to in the first paragraph of my OP was required for membership in said churches.

Incorrect the rapture is a false doctrine and is not Biblical. It's also conflicts with your previous statement that Jesus was supposed to come back within the lifetime of the people that lived in His day.

This is the woman that came up with the false doctrine of the rapture. She was born in 1815. So how can her doctrine apply to your claim Jesus was returning shortly after his death?
Margaret MacDonald (visionary) - Wikipedia

I don't know what bible you read, but the idea of the rapture is clearly biblical: Matthew 24:39-41: "And they were oblivious, until the flood came and swept them all away. So will it be at the coming of the Son of Man. Two men will be in the field: one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding at the mill: one will be taken and the other left.…"

This passage is found in the same chapter in which the same erroneous prophecy regarding Jesus' second coming is found yet again.

Similarly, Mark 13:26-27, already referenced in the OP, "At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in the clouds with great power and glory. And He will send out the angels to gather His elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of heaven."

Clearly, a rapture is alluded to. And the timeframe in which it was prophecied to have occurred has long since expired.

The rest of your post about scripture is just as nonsensical as your misunderstandings of basic biblical knowledge above. So no need to swat them down one at a time. You're trying to tackle college level academia with only a pre-school level of understanding of the subject. I suggest you study more.

It's easy to use an ad hominem attack and say I have a "pre-school" level of understanding when all of my points were entirely logical and you simply cannot refute them.

sooda

Veteran Member
I don't know what version of "Christianity" you are familiar with, but it was the central teaching in the churches that I grew up attending. In fact, belief in the propositions I alluded to in the first paragraph of my OP was required for membership in said churches.

I don't know what bible you read, but the idea of the rapture is clearly biblical: Matthew 24:39-41: "And they were oblivious, until the flood came and swept them all away. So will it be at the coming of the Son of Man. Two men will be in the field: one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding at the mill: one will be taken and the other left.…"

This passage is found in the same chapter in which the same erroneous prophecy regarding Jesus' second coming is found yet again.

Similarly, Mark 13:26-27, already referenced in the OP, "At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in the clouds with great power and glory. And He will send out the angels to gather His elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of heaven."

Clearly, a rapture is alluded to. And the timeframe in which it was prophecied to have occurred has long since expired.

It's easy to use an ad hominem attack and say I have a "pre-school" level of understanding when all of my points were entirely logical and you simply cannot refute them.

Hal Lindsey gave futurism a real boost when he wrote Late Great Planet Earth.

sooda

Veteran Member
Rapture Doctrine invented by John Darby in 1830 AD - Bible
www.bible.ca/rapture-origin-john-nelson-darby-1830ad.htm
The origin of Rapture False doctrine: John Darby 1830 AD. ... And the bad will remain in Gehenna; The righteous will fly up to the height, And the sinners will burn in fire." (Syraic text of Pseudo-Ephraem) 3. The Latin text of Pseudo-Ephraem does not teach Rapture theology since the saints suffer and die during the tribulation: a. ...

sooda

Veteran Member
Question for you: why does an omniscient, omnipotent God need a "final judgment?" Isn't one judgment enough, for one so supremely gifted?

10 Reasons the Rapture Should Be ... - Stephen D Morrison
www.sdmorrison.org/10-reasons-the-rapture-should-be-left-behind
The fruit of the rapture is usually bad theology, poor stewardship, or blatant manipulation. Which is not to say that all who believe in the rapture are like that, but it is to say something. The rapture messes with people’s well being. (I know it did mine, back when I thought it was true!) #5 Rapture Jesus is Angry

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Not surprising you have such a poor understanding of Christianity. You come from some psuedo-christian occult of some sort sounds like.

I don't know what bible you read, but the idea of the rapture is clearly biblical:

Really? Please quote the scripture with the word "Rapture" in it. You can't of course because the word doesn't appear in the Bible even once.

You are twisting scripture to support your strawman so that you can easily refute it. It's a lame tactic atheist have been using for years. :rolleyes:

The rapture was conceived by a mentally ill woman in the 1800's as cited in the article in my other post. It's a relatively new idea, compared to the long history of Judeo-Christian beliefs. It might as well be straight from Satans lips as it's intended to deceive weak minded people.

sooda

Veteran Member
Not surprising you have such a poor understanding of Christianity. You come from some psuedo-christian occult of some sort sounds like.

Really? Please quote the scripture with the word "Rapture" in it. You can't of course because the word doesn't appear in the Bible even once.

You are twisting scripture to support your strawman so that you can easily refute it. It's a lame tactic atheist have been using for years. :rolleyes:

The rapture was conceived by a mentally ill woman in the 1800's as cited in the article in my other post. It's a relatively new idea, compared to the long history of Judeo-Christian beliefs. It might as well be straight from Satans lips as it's intended to deceive weak minded people.

Samuel Untermeyer - Historicist.com The Protestant ...
Samuel Untermeyer - Historicist.com The Protestant Interpretation of Biblical Prophecy. The Historical Alternative
Samuel Untermeyer had a lifelong interest in Zionism. He and the leaders of the Jewish Theological Seminary wanted to inject their beliefs into Christianity in America. But had they attempted to introduce their ideas into the dominant protestant culture of 1900, they would have been ignored.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
The Olivete discourse proclaimed in Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke 21, was fulfilled in the first century.

If you reject that statement, let me remind you that Messiah declared “Verily I say unto you, this generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.”

Too many people put aside Messiah’s clear proclamation, but I take Him at His Word, and have proven how indeed it was all fulfilled in that generation.

The Olivet Discourse Deception

The Preterist perspective has a lot of merit and the argument about everything being fulfilled within that generation is certainly compelling. However it overrides a belief in an Omnipotent God who communicates through Prophets AND the Revelations from God that have come after Jesus including Islam and the Baha'i Faith.

David T

Premium Member
:facepalm:

"So, after our analysis" WHAT analysis!

Suggest a course in how to interpret the Bible.
He sounds like an intelligent design Apologist to an atheist. Kinda nonsesical isnt it..... And thus the religious vs science debate exists not any any depth but lacks depth all the way around. Btw i also agree, you are correct.

David T

Premium Member
The central teaching of Christianity is that of the return of Jesus and final judgment, when Jesus will supposedly return, riding on the clouds of Heaven, to gather his so-called "elect" and carry them to heaven while raining fiery judgment upon all of the non-believers, while they tremble in fear of the "son of man" along with his "heavenly father." However, the Bible itself indicates that this will never occur, since this prophecy had a very specific time-frame on it. According to the bible, Jesus was supposed to return within the lifetimes' of the people who lived at the time Jesus lived on earth. There are many passages in the new testament that explicitly predict that the final judgment, return of Christ, rapture of believers and damnation of non-believers, was going to occur within the first century. Well, it never happened. And, guess what. It's never going to happen. Here is a selection of false prophecies from the bible concerning the return of Jesus. *Note:* Some Christian apologists make the mistaken argument that Matthew 10:23 is somehow not referring to Jesus' second coming. However, I included CONTEXT of all of these passages to emphasize that Matthew 10:21 contains the same words as Mark 13:12, a passage which is clearly referring to the final judgment, indicating that Matthew 10:23 clearly does in fact refer to the final judgment. The exact symmetry of these passages is emphasized by my underlining in the passages below, indicating that they are clearly referring to the same event.

Furthermore, some Christian apologists also mistakenly argue that the "this generation" referred to in Mark 13 is not a reference to a literal generation. However, given that Matthew 10 describes the same Armageddon events alluded to in Mark 13, and given that Matthew 10 predicts that these events will occur within the disciples' lifetimes, indeed, before they finish going through the towns of Israel we can be sure that the generation referred to in Mark 13 is the generation alive at Jesus' time. In this way, when taken in context these two Scriptures clearly confirm each other to be false. But since this obviously erroneous prophecy is repeated so many times in the New Testament, I included two other occurences as well.

For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done.

“Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

“Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child. Children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. Everyone will hate you because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.

“When you see ‘the abomination that causes desolation’ standing where it does not belong—let the reader understand—then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. Let no one on the housetop go down or enter the house to take anything out. Let no one in the field go back to get their cloak. How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! Pray that this will not take place in winter, because those will be days of distress unequaled from the beginning, when God created the world, until now—and never to be equaled again.

“If the Lord had not cut short those days, no one would survive. But for the sake of the elect, whom he has chosen, he has shortened them. At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘Look, there he is!’ do not believe it. For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. So be on your guard; I have told you everything ahead of time.

At that time people will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory. And he will send his angels and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of the heavens.

“Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that it is near, right at the door.Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.

The high priest said to him, “I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Messiah, the Son of God.”

“You have said so,” Jesus replied. “But I say to all of you: From now on you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”

So, after our analysis, it is clear that the second coming of Jesus and final judgment were erroneously predicted by the bible to occur within the lifetimes of the people who lived at the time of Jesus. Thus, there is no reason to believe that they will ever occur.
Wow creationism in secular drag amazing. Bigfoot is a really interesting topic love bigfoot.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Sorry your understanding of a religious 'age' (aeon) is awful; a generation in context of what Yeshua is referring to, is the fulfillment of the Messianic prophecies.

Biblical timeline:
  • This Generation (Age) -
  • The 2nd temple destruction, happens because their leaders killed the Messiah (Zechariah 11), which then places...
  • The Curse of Moses (Deuteronomy 28), where the children of Judah shall be persecuted from nation to nation, and the Gentiles shall think they reign....
  • Judah makes a false peace treaty, which causes all nations to come against her, and then...
  • The Rivers of Fire cleanse reality (Deuteronomy 29:19-27), which is where we see the sun and moon change...
  • Then 'those who shall reign with God' (Israel), are resurrected in a new earth (Deuteronomy 30:1-10) without any demonic energies.
  • - Then the Messianic age.
In my opinion. :innocent:

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

I tend to agree with this interpretation of Matthew 10:23 ibelow nstead which is in agreement with Revelation’s prophecies by Jesus of His return in the latter days.

[till the Son of man be come] The cities of Israel will not be "gone over" (Greek: teleo (GSN-<G5048>), completely evangelized) before the second coming. This is literally true. They were not fully evangelized by the early church because of the persecution of early Christians and because of the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D

If you read the preceding verses in that chapter Christ clearly told His disciples to enter every town to preach the Gospel but stated in v23 that due to persecution the cities of Israel will not have been converted or spiritually turned towards belief in Jesus till after He has returned and although I believe He has already returned it does not say how long after Jesus return will Israel believe.

Interpretation of ‘gone over’ is made clear by Jesus referring to the evangelising of Israel in preceding verses which never happened at that time so He was referring to His return in the latter days not then.

sooda

Veteran Member
Sorry your understanding of a religious 'age' (aeon) is awful; a generation in context of what Yeshua is referring to, is the fulfillment of the Messianic prophecies.

Biblical timeline:
  • This Generation (Age) -
  • The 2nd temple destruction, happens because their leaders killed the Messiah (Zechariah 11), which then places...
  • The Curse of Moses (Deuteronomy 28), where the children of Judah shall be persecuted from nation to nation, and the Gentiles shall think they reign....
  • Judah makes a false peace treaty, which causes all nations to come against her, and then...
  • The Rivers of Fire cleanse reality (Deuteronomy 29:19-27), which is where we see the sun and moon change...
  • Then 'those who shall reign with God' (Israel), are resurrected in a new earth (Deuteronomy 30:1-10) without any demonic energies.
  • - Then the Messianic age.
In my opinion. :innocent:

All the way thru the Bible a generation is 40 years.