• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Jesus needed to be resurrected?

InvestigateTruth

If Jesus did not have a physical body before He was born from Mary, and He was still happy without it, and still had all the powers, what was the need to be resurrected to go to heaven with a physical body?

If having a physical body is important, why God the Father does not have one for Himself?
I am looking for logical answers. I am not debating whether or not Jesus was really physically resurrected!

leov

If Jesus did not have a physical body before He was born from Mary, and He was still happy without it, and still had all the powers, what was the need to be resurrected to go to heaven with a physical body?

If having a physical body is important, why God the Father does not have one for Himself?
I am looking for logical answers. I am not debating whether or not Jesus was really physically resurrected!
Not physical body.

Vee

Premium Member

He wasn't resurrected with a physical body. He didn't need it anymore.

...If having a physical body is important, why God the Father does not have one for Himself?..!

According to the Bible, God lives in disciples of Jesus, their bodies are God’s bodies.

Don't you know that you are a temple of God, and that God's Spirit lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I suppose to conquer death.

That's the promise right? To exist after death. Jesus' resurrection was "proof" of this. The spiritual/physical form, whichever, coming to his followers after his death was proof of a continued existence after death. Christian hope is based on this. Whatever crappy life you have now, you have an afterlife in heaven to look forward to.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
According to the Bible, God lives in disciples of Jesus, their bodies are God’s bodies.

Don't you know that you are a temple of God, and that God's Spirit lives in you?
Does this mean that during the resurrection, Jesus was actually manifesting through his disciples?

shmogie

He was resurrected in a physical body, just as we will be at the resurrection. These are not exactly like our bodies now, like Christ's, they will be glorified.

That is the whole point. Christ died as a man, to defeat death for mans sake.

He was resurrected as men and women will be resurrected, to complete his substitution for man in life, death, and resurrection. Whether he remains in that body, or not I don't know, but it isn't important.

If he had been raised as a spirit, his total substitution for man would be incomplete, not the same as mans resurrection.

shmogie

Does this mean that during the resurrection, Jesus was actually manifesting through his disciples?[/QUOT
According to the Bible, God lives in disciples of Jesus, their bodies are God’s bodies. Sort of. God is three points of consciousness in one being. God, the Father, God, the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. It is that Spirit that dwells within.

Dave Watchman

He had to die.

He had to die in our place, to pay the penalty for sin.

The penalty for sin is death.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. - Romans 6:23​

And Jesus had to live as a man, to be tempted as a man would be, in order to live a sin free life.

Remember when He was tempted by the Devil In the Gospels.

"Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. ... - Matthew 4​

Jesus had to be the sacrificial Lamb without any blemish.

You know, like when the Jews would sacrifice a lamb, they had to pick the best one.

Without spot, or blemish.

"God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.- 2 Corinthians 5:21​

Maybe He does.

Maybe He can shift back and forth like a shape shifter.

Or be invisible.

But most of the time just dwells in unapproachable light.

"who alone has immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see. To him be honor and eternal dominion. Amen. - 1 Timothy 6:16​

Me too.

Just looking for the logical answer.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

I am going to answer this as if I was a Christian first, if you don't mind, and then I will give an answer from my own perspective. From a Christian perspective, this answer might seem logical.

From a Christian perspective, Jesus needed to be resurrected and have physical body for two main reasons:
  1. If Jesus had not resurrected and ascended to heaven in a physical body, the same Jesus could not return from heaven (second coming) in the same physical body.
  2. If Jesus had not been resurrected with a physical body then Christians would have no hope of also being resurrected and having a physical body, when Jesus returns.
Aside from those reasons, if Jesus had not resurrected, then Jesus would not be any different from the other Messengers of God, and Christianity could not claim to be special, better than any other religion.

InvestigateTruth

He was resurrected in a physical body, just as we will be at the resurrection. These are not exactly like our bodies now, like Christ's, they will be glorified.

That is the whole point. Christ died as a man, to defeat death for mans sake.

He was resurrected as men and women will be resurrected, to complete his substitution for man in life, death, and resurrection. Whether he remains in that body, or not I don't know, but it isn't important.

If he had been raised as a spirit, his total substitution for man would be incomplete, not the same as mans resurrection.
Hello, thanks for reply.
Why deafiting death has anything to do with resurrection of a physical body?

If spirit can continue to live, then the person continues to live on. You did not answer some of the questions though. Does the Father have a physical body, or He is an invisible spirit? Is He a man according to bible, who calls Him, the Father?

leov

Christian's believe the physical body will be resurrected. Even if, it is a glorified body, it is still physical in sense that you can touch and see it, as Jesus said, put your finger in my wound!
christians are of two natures , 1Cor 2:14 and 1Cor 2:15.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Now here is my answer from a Baha'i point of view.
There was no need for Jesus to be resurrected in a physical body in order to go to heaven in a physical body, and that would not have even been possible, because heaven is a spiritual world where physical life cannot even exist.

What I believe happens when we die is that the spirit/soul separates from the bodily part that was of use to us in this world; but we continue to live, because man is not man because of his body, he is man because of his spirit/soul. It is the spirit that thinks in man, and thought with affection is what constitutes man. So death is merely passing from one world to another; from a physical world where we had a physical body to a spiritual world where we will have a spiritual body and continue to live forever.
God the Father does not need a physical body because he does not exist in a physical world; He exists "somewhere" in the spiritual world.

According to my beliefs, having a physical body is necessary in this world because the soul expresses itself through the physical body, but in the spiritual world (heaven) a physical body will no longer be necessary because the soul will take on another form that is purely spiritual, a form made up of spiritual elements that exist in the spiritual world.

74x12

It was in order to overcome death for oursakes. As it is written He became sin who knew no sin that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him. God knew we could not overcome our enemies by ourselves. So He came in human form to do it for us. It's that simple. He overcame satan, sin and ultimately even death itself for us. He became one of us so that He could make our enemies His enemies also. So, He didn't do it for Himself.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It was in order to overcome death for oursakes. As it is written He became sin who knew no sin that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him. God knew we could not overcome our enemies by ourselves. So He came in human form to do it for us. It's that simple. He overcame satan, sin and ultimately even death itself for us. He became one of us so that He could make our enemies His enemies also. So, He didn't do it for Himself.
When Jesus died on the cross He said "It's been done!" because His work was finished here.... He overcame our enemies and our sin and then His spirit/soul ascended to heaven.

I do not believe that Jesus could overcome physical death, because it is just a fact of life that we will all die someday, physically. By conferring upon us eternal life, what Jesus overcame was spiritual death, as is noted in the scriptures:

John 3:16: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

1 John 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life,and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

John 11:25-26 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

John 4:13-14 Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again: But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

I believe that when we die our spirit/soul separates from the physical body and wings its flight to the spiritual world, where it takes on a new form, made up of spiritual elements that exist in the heavenly realm. I believe that all souls will continue to exist in the spiritual world, but only those souls who were close to God will have eternal life, which refers to a quality of life, not its duration. The other souls who are separated from God will be "as dead" compared to the holy souls who are near to God.

shmogie

Hello, thanks for reply.
Why deafiting death has anything to do with resurrection of a physical body?

If spirit can continue to live, then the person continues to live on. You did not answer some of the questions though. Does the Father have a physical body, or He is an invisible spirit? Is He a man according to bible, who calls Him, the Father?
No, The Father does not have a physical body. Nor is He invisible. the Bible says he is pure light.

He is called the Father, because it is a human term that we understand. In the familial hierarchy of the Bible the Father is head, and all exist in a hierarchy under him. That is the point.

A person does not live on as a spirit, that too is the point. Eternal life is granted to men in a glorified body. They were not created as spirits and never will be.

Christ was resurrected in a body because it was critical for his purpose that He live, die and be resurrected as a person, because his life, death and resurrection was substitutionary for humans, He perfectly completed the human experience of life, death and resurrection.