• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is your understanding of an other religion the right one?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Indeed, yet god and his messengers who you believe in) have repeatedly made it their business.
So yo reject and condemn their interference?

Well, thankfully you don't seem to take god's message seriously - which makes one wonder why you claim to believe in it.
I personally take God's message seriously. God is in my belief the creator, so how can i small human being like myself, challenge my own creator?
My girlfriend is atheist and BI sexual, that is her choice, She was born that way so how could i personally judge her?

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
A believer will ask how does this apply to my life, while a non believer will apply critical thinking only.
Why aren't these the same thing?
What actually happens is that the believer will blindly accept whatever doctrine says, while the sceptic will use critical thinking and ask how it is supposed to work in practice, what are its origins, what are the rational implications in the context of a fair, just and tolerant society, etc.

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
I personally take God's message seriously. how can i small human being like myself, challenge my own creator?
My girlfriend is atheist and BI sexual, that is her choice, She was born that way so how could i personally judge her?
So you do consider the way she is to be immoral and worthy of condemnation and punishment. How does she feel about that?
Is she happy that it's not your opinion, you're just doing what god tells you?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What actually happens is that the believer will blindly accept whatever doctrine says, while the sceptic will use critical thinking and ask how it is supposed to work in practice, what are its origins, what are the rational implications in the context of a fair, just and tolerant society, etc.
Most believers don't follow blindly, the study the scriptures and ponder sbout it for years. And gain new understanding often ( development of understanding)

RestlessSoul

Projection is a psychological defence mechanism. The ego protects itself by attributing to others, those uncomfortable negative qualities it perceives in the self. In instances where the religious faith of others is the external target, the ego appears to be saying “Your God is the reason I am not at peace with myself.”

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
So you do consider the way she is to be immoral and worthy of condemnation and punishment. How does she feel about that?
Is she happy that it's not your opinion, you're just doing what god tells you?
As I said.
I do not judge her, i don't tell her or think she is imoral.
I love her fully and honestly.
No negative at all.

You are the one assuming thingst toward me.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Why do you believe your understanding is better than the person who actually follow the religion you claim to know so well?
I believe we could ask a similar question in reverse, why do you believe that a person who actually follows a religion knows it better than one who doesn't follow?

Neither following nor not following impact knowledge of a faith, rather it is the study of the teachings combined with soundness of memory, and detachment from emotions which would cloud one's judgement causing them to ignore the parts of a religion that are unworthy or unliked that contribute to knowledge of a faith.

Simply being a fan or not does not impact knowledge levels one way or the other in my opinion.

RestlessSoul

I believe we could ask a similar question in reverse, why do you believe that a person who actually follows a religion knows it better than one who doesn't follow?

Neither following nor not following impact knowledge of a faith, rather it is the study of the teachings combined with soundness of memory, and detachment from emotions which would cloud one's judgement causing them to ignore the parts of a religion that are unworthy or unliked that contribute to knowledge of a faith.

Simply being a fan or not does not impact knowledge levels one way or the other in my opinion.

I know what is in my own heart. I do not presume to know what is in yours, or at least I shouldn’t.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Personally I believe it is due to the believer hold faith in their heart.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure

Well they read doctrine with faith, while atheists only with a critical eye. Then the believer will apply it to their own life. So the believer will have their own unique perspective. The atheist will only take it at face value.

I'm speaking of genuine believers, not those who insist on twisting the message for power, control, or gain.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
My take is that it means unbeliever.
But there are probably other translations too.
I dont hold on to the lable of belonging to one labled religion

Are unbelievers those that refuse to accept Allah? Or are unbelievers those that are unconvinced that Allah exists? Is there a call for hard treatment toward infidels? Or are infidels only those that make enemies of Islamic people?

I for one don't accept the Quran as reality. I would rather not make enemies of Islamic people though.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Are unbelievers those that refuse to accept Allah? Or are unbelievers those that are unconvinced that Allah exists? Is there a call for hard treatment toward infidels? Or are infidels only those that make enemies of Islamic people?

I for one don't accept the Quran as reality. I would rather not make enemies of Islamic people though.
I think it means if one knows about Allah but still refuse the teaching, but who am I to say for sure

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
So all religions are from god, but they are all wrong?

Not at all. The Founders of each of the major religions taught the virtues and brought social teachings relevant for the age. The virtues are eternal but the social laws change from age to age according to the needs of the time.

Over time, leaders changed religions to suit their own ambitions and it became muddied and replaced with man made doctrines and superstitions departing from what was originally taught so religion is renewed from time to time by God as well as to update it to the needs of the current age.

So for example Christ’s teaching focused mainly on the individual while Muhammad’s was on community and nation and now Baha’u’llah has come with teachings with an emphasis on world unity.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe you have no education or any proper understanding of the scripture you are speaking of. It could be like the bible says "why do you look at the thimble in my eye while you have a plank in yours".

But I guess your education on this comes from hearsay since you speak of what people say.

I have read the Bible. I found the morality of the OT horrid. The basic story of the NT is pretty sick as well, from my perspective.

And yes, I know the main interpretations that lessen the impact of this failed morality to make it better. But all that shows to me is that a secular morality is superior to a religious one.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
Time and time again it is seen in RF that certain people (especially certain Atheists do) telling other people that their understanding is wrong on their own religious belief, while the person who isn't from their religion actually claim to know their religion and teaching better than the believer....

Why do you believe your understanding is better than the person who actually follow the religion you claim to know so well?

I think it has to be looked at on a case-by-case basis. You would think anyone who professes to be an adherent of a religion would have greater knowledge of it but that's not often the case. It's entirely possible for a non-adherent to know far more than an adherent, especially if they've made a point of studying the religion or comparative religions. That can be the case with anything, I've met lots of non-Americans who have a better knowledge of US history and its judicial systems than a lot of 'mericans do. It comes down to whether a person chooses to be informed or not.