• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is your belief right?

Many of the discussions here reduce to a "I am right. No. I am right" debate. So I need to ask this question of everyone: what makes your understanding right?

We can all say its because we follow it and believe its right, but why?

What about the belief appeals to you?

What do you find logical?

What do you find lacking?

Why do you believe it to be the Truth over other religions?

Why do you think its God's will?

Why do you think your religion's understanding of Scripture is correct?

What do you think about everyone else thinking they are right in their Scriptural understanding and beliefs?

Bishka

Veteran Member

-Families are forever, Eternal Marriage, Going back to a paradise when I die, Happiness

That families are forever, I've never understood people who say differently. Why would God put us on earth to have families and then take them away from us? The same goes for me with eternal marriage

I'm not sure I find anything lacking, per se, but sometimes I feel that sin and what is acceptable and not acceptable and what will prevent me from being in the Celestial Kingdom is not well enough explained.

A couple of reasons. It just makes sense to me. Another thing, when I was searching out other faiths when I was younger I asked several different memebers of different faiths questions I had and what I was doubting. For instance I asked a Catholic boyfriend of mine, I went to my friends Lutheran church and talked to her Youth Pastor, I had a Muslim friend, I also had a best friend whose mother and her were Pagan/Wiccan/Earth Based. No one could answer my questions fully. They gave me answers but I was not fully satisfied on their answer. Eventually I asked members and leaders in my faith and they answered my questions, or I found the answers in the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants and the Bible.

I believe it is God's will, because I believe that this restored Church is what it was when Christ was on the earth, it was just restored to it's former state and more doctrine and things were taught.

Yes and no, yes if you go by the religions doctrines. No if you go by some of the members understandings.

What do you think about everyone else thinking they are right in their Scriptural understanding and beliefs?
I believe that many people take different things from the scriptures and they are probably right in their situation. Each scripture can mean something different to someone. As long as they are used for good and promote happiness, goodwill towards men, etc., etc., then I think they are okay.

Pah

Uber all member
Epistemology tells us how to judge whether one has truth or not Epistemology - Criteria of Truth

Some of us non-religious compare our beliefs to reality by way of Corresponence, Consistency or Coherence. Religious beliefs are usually best judged by personal Revelation and/or Pragmatism each of which requires a supernatural node.

maggie2

I don't necessarily think that my beliefs are right. I only think that they are right for me. I have no desire to convince anyone else that they should believe as I do, I simply want to enjoy discussing spiritual matters.

ladylazarus

I don't have beliefs, I have conclusions. Belief implies certainty. Conclusions are always subject to change in light of new evidence.

Truth is only applicable in an agreed upon objective reality -- as in the "epistemology" link above, a "standard of verification." In the context of the reality most of us experience and have agreed upon, my worldview isn't necessarily true, it's just the most plausible conclusion I've come to so far.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I say Unitarian Universalism is right for me, I can't speak for others.
For me, religion is an ongoing search for meaning, purpose, value and spiritual depth in my life. UUs believe that individuals are entitled to make their own search, and that not all persons (not even all UUs) are going to share the same beliefs. We believe in: The inherent worth and dignity of every person; Justice, equity and compassion in human relations; Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations; A free and responsible search for truth and meaning; The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large; The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all; and Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part. All of which are very important to me.
Our humanist side. Because ours is a very humanistically-oriented religion, most UUs regard themselves as humanists in one sense or another. Basically, humanism means that we humans are responsible for our destiny for better or worse and we cannot rely on an outside power or deity to determine our individual or collective fate. Humanism is also an affirmation of the power of the human mind and the human spirit.
UUism is not always as focused on the spiritual as I would like, but I do love the social action/ humanist side to it as well. I think our theology sometimes has a hard time explaining evil and suffering.
What is truth?
I think it is God's will that we be kind and respectful to one another.
Which or whose scripture are you referring to?
Unitarian Universalists believe there is wisdom in most, if not all, of the world's religions. We feel each is valuable for what it can tell us about ourselves and our world, and how its members find religious meaning and direction. We believe in the universality of religion in that we recognize all humans ask questions such as "Why am I here? What is the meaning and purpose of my life? Why do I have to die?" Realizing all religions seek to provide answers to questions like these, we think there is much wisdom in their many answers.

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
The issue of right or wrong doesn't seem to be the real defining factor here. Anyone can say that they're right, but it's looking at other's opinions that gives you a deeper perspective about epistemology and your philosophy about how truth is absolute or simply objective. In other words, a pluralist philosophy is very nearly a responsibility of a religious person in order to gain a larger view of the diverse world that they are merely a part of, not superceding it with their concepts of God or any higher power that supposedly has omniscience, when it may not.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I could never prove my beliefs are right.
However......
The teaching of Jesus, completely convince me, that the way he taught us to live our lives and love God is true.
The details accepted by the various Churches are important as a frame work for teaching and Worship.
But these details are not as important as the teachings of Christ and the love of God.

Terry____________________
Blessed are the pure of heart, they shall behold their God.

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
That again, is assuming that you personally know what Jesus actually taught. Overall, everyone takes Jesus from one viewpoint and that is usually the one that they have been enculturated to. For many, Jesus saves us from being imperfect, when that in itself defeats the purpose of being human from a philosophical standpoint. If we cease to be imperfect, are we not commiting a heresy in itself in trying to be like God, even if it is from a mere spiritual standpoint? For some, Jesus saves us from being oppressed by other humans who see Jesus from only the spiritual standpoint and fail so see the potential metaphors and more modern day applications of Jesus' teachings, which from certain perspectives could be extending Jesus' teachings to gays and lesbians, among the others that are put down by those in power, from a Christian "imperialist" point of view.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
muichimotsu said:
That again, is assuming that you personally know what Jesus actually taught.
If you read Any version of the bible Jesus' teachings come through loud and clear.
When you read them you can easily recognize his teachings from others opinions.
If you can't, You have not yet found Jesus.
Jesus does not interfere in our lives at all.
He tells us how to live our lives, now it is up to us.

His teachings apply to all of us, He loves us all equally.

He never referred to philosophical nor any other standpoints,
nor did he exclude any sexual orientation or any other human trait.

We have no choice, as Christians it is up to us to love every one as he does.

Terry_________________________
Blessed are the pure of heart, they shall behold their God.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I am sure my beliefs are right - and probably only because of Prayer and meditation.

I do have one 'hole' in my belief - I am still drawn to reincarnation; I can't seem to shake it off.:jam:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
muichimotsu said:
Usually when it feels "wrong" somehow, it means you could unconsciously be thinking of it as true.
Oh, thank you; double bluff psychology.:D I'm confused enough as it is.........:p

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
You can't possibly know Jesus' exact teachings, as they were changed by each writer of the Gospels for their own time period when you investigate it further. Seems to me that me finding Jesus doesn't involve reading the bible from various perspectives and compare them as objectively as possible, but it is following what you believe to be the truth about Jesus' teachings, which I wouldn't think Jesus or God would appreciate, because I believe that they appreciate diversity enough to allow different interpretations to stand against potential fundamentalists like yourself, it seems.

Fluffy

A fool
I am not certain that my beliefs are right. I am not even certain that my beliefs are right for me. However, my beliefs are constructed in such a way that this would only matter if incorrigible proof was produced that showed otherwise.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Fluffy said:
I am not certain that my beliefs are right. I am not even certain that my beliefs are right for me. However, my beliefs are constructed in such a way that this would only matter if incorrigible proof was produced that showed otherwise.
Good Point...:clap
I'm with you there.

~Victor

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
They're constructed so that you can justify not looking at other religions because they're not constructed like yours and thusly can be proven to be false otherwise? Or am I taking your words out of context?

Fluffy

A fool
They're constructed so that you can justify not looking at other religions because they're not constructed like yours and thusly can be proven to be false otherwise? Or am I taking your words out of context?
Out of context :). I mean that I do not believe in my beliefs because I need them to be true. I just need to believe in them. Obviously I would be unable to do that if I were faced with proof that showed them to be wrong but until that point, even a very strong likelihood of my beliefs being false would be irrelevant because it has no relation to the reasoning behind why I hold my beliefs.

I am eclectic which basicially means that I take bits from everything, test it against the relevant bits of my own religion and then either put them on the back burner, discard them or place them over those bits. I believe that all statements contain worth in one form or another and I only try and prove things false in the hope of being defeated in the argument, being forced to adopt the opposing position and thereby improve my position.

fromthe heart

Searcher of Light said:
Many of the discussions here reduce to a "I am right. No. I am right" debate. So I need to ask this question of everyone: what makes your understanding right?

Because in the Bible the gospels have so many things that are repeated by each apostile

That Jesus said "I am the way,the truth, and the light, no man cometh unto the Father buy by Me"...I believe that Jesus is teh true Son of God and sits at the right hand of God at this very moment;that Jesus lived,died and rose again for each and every person who walks the face of the earth...He was the supreme sacrifice in our places...through His sacrifice we are given the opportunity to live in Heaven with God forever if we accept His truths and believe in Him and have the faith that no matter who condemns you for your beliefs you need not retaliate..." I will repay saith the Lord"

Creation and it's magnificent detail...man will never solve it all but when God comes for His church (christians) all will be made known to us.

Nothing...it would be nice if I could explain why I'm sure God created it all in something doubting folks could understand...but I don't have to explain God...He is the Almighty...He'll do that for Himself. But there is Nothing lacking in what I believe

Because it's all in the Bible about how some will be blinded and lead astray by Satan. The Bible says so.

It's confirmed in God's Word.

Because it's all straight scripture nothing added and nothing taken to mean something else.

That is for them to decide and I have no right to say any different. You will not find me telling anyone what they feel isn't right for them. You will not find me telling anyone I'm right and you're wrong...in these situations where I feel I'm right on something I state where the Bible says it and let the rest to God to deliver up to the listener.

Thanks for asking...FTH

Fluffy

A fool
It is one thing to believe that your beliefs are right but how many people here feel that it is inconcievable that their beliefs might be wrong? Keep in mind that if you say that you know your beliefs are right, then this is what you are implying.