• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is Witchcraft bad in your religion?

Slapstick

I have been reading the Salem Witch Trials and learning about the Puritans. Many people take them as crazies while others are apologists to their cause of upholding their puritan ways.

After reading Cotton Mather's,The wonders of the Invisible World - From 'The Norton Anthology American Literature:

I think the thing that stood out most for me was when Mather said, “I shall no longer detain my reader from his expected entertainment” and the summary of the court case read like a script out of a Hollywood movie, that not even Hollywood would be able to recreate. So yeah, I think mass hysteria could sum it up nicely. Though he does mention people in the English settlements as “being tortured by invisible hands, with tortures altogether preternatural” that they had no real explanation for what was going on other than accusing Martha Carrier of witchcraft, which makes me think of a few different things. He also said he wasn’t present at the trials and could only provide an account for what happen based on the case he was provided.

The English people (Puritans) based everything on faith, or religion, they used religion as a device to persecute those they had no credible evidence for as taking part in witchcraft.

The first thing I found interesting is when someone mentioned “having their necks twisted almost round”, and Martha Carrier, the one accused of witchcraft and bewitching said: “It’s no matter though their necks had been twisted quite off.” This, to me, seems to imply that Martha didn’t like (or think much) these people by implying these people were complete lunatics. As in it is a rhetorical response to a complete absurdity.

The Second thing I found interesting is that when the cows were dying, the town’s people had no reasonable explanation for how it happened other than accusing Martha of witchcraft. I began to suspect that maybe she is guilty of something or maybe she poisoned them. That could possibly explain why other people she had “disagreements with” or they had with her were claiming to be getting sick. Then Phebe Chandler testified and said she “heard a voice” that told her she would be poisoned within a few days. So, now you have people hearing voices and accusing people of witchcraft.

… and while Mather’s in The Wonders of the Invisible World may be a defense for the trials, the accused didn’t have a defense. It seemed like the entire English settlement had it out for her for whatever that reason may be. Maybe it was superstition, maybe something really happen, who knows. But being someone that studies Information Technology and has done research on social media (social networking sites like Facebook or Twitter) and the implications it can have on society, such as cyberbullying. It makes me think of young girls that are victims of cyberbullying, only in this case, it was the entire town doing the bullying.

So, why is witchcraft bad? Do "Holy Religions" or your religion try to persecute those they have no credible evidence for be responsible for things that can't be reasonably explained? Should people or religious people use witchcraft as a scapegoat for their own problems?

To me, it sounds like a bunch of made up crazy talk - "If you aren't with us then you are against us!" ... and if you are against us then you must be a witch!

Parsimony

I don't use witchcraft as an explanation for any of the bad happenings that I've seen. I'm not sure how such a link could be reliably demonstrated (unless a witch said "I will make X happen 12 minutes from now" and then X, something extraordinarily improbable to have occurred otherwise, does happen 12 minutes from then). My church doesn't seem to focus much on witchcraft so much as on the Antichrist, the End Times and sin in general.

Contemplative Cat

energy formation
Witch used to mean someone who curses people.
People who bless people were healers and saints.
For sure most modern witches are not "witches"

Puritans were really superstitious, but I think the old testament says to stay away from witches warned against fortune tellers and oracles.

Levite

Higher and Higher
These days, of course, most Jews don't believe in magic of any kind, so the subject doesn't come up much. The dominant view in most of Orthodox Judaism today is that all magic was always forbidden, with various different reasons being given. However, academic scholarship has now shown us that magic of numerous sorts was widely practiced by Jews in ancient times, and well through the middle ages, and in some places all the way up to the Enlightenment. The Rabbis of the Talmud established some fairly wide loopholes for the practice of various sorts of magic, and some later authorities interpreted the prohibitions in the Torah as referring to only specific magical acts or specific kinds of magic, mostly those having to do with idolatrous practices, or with nefarious acts otherwise prohibited (such as necromancy or other black magics requiring murder, bloodshed, or other harmful actions).

Historically, we have not had much in the way of witch hysteria in Judaism. Our mass hysterias have tended to be more of the false messiah or apocalyptic cult varieties, though from time to time something more supernaturally oriented would pop up.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
I love witches. Madison Montgomery <3 &#8212; at least until the tenth episode when the writers ruined Coven.

[youtube]YA1g2EA_bBQ[/youtube]

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Witchcraft is bad in Islam for many reasons.
Practicing it or asking someone to do it for you means you search a power from someone else than God.
Also witchcraft is always a link between men and djinns (demons/devils) which is prohibited.

Many people use this power to harm others (black magic) : divorce, bad luck in school/work/mariage etc

Here what says the Quran about it :

2.102 And [yet] they learn from them that by which they cause separation between a man and his wife. But they do not harm anyone through it except by permission of Allah . And the people learn what harms them and does not benefit them. But the Children of Israel certainly knew that whoever purchased the magic would not have in the Hereafter any share. And wretched is that for which they sold themselves, if they only knew.

egcroc

we're all stardust
Witchcraft is bad in Islam for many reasons.
Practicing it or asking someone to do it for you means you search a power from someone else than God.
Also witchcraft is always a link between men and djinns (demons/devils) which is prohibited.

Many people use this power to harm others (black magic) : divorce, bad luck in school/work/mariage etc

Here what says the Quran about it :

2.102 And [yet] they learn from them that by which they cause separation between a man and his wife. But they do not harm anyone through it except by permission of Allah . And the people learn what harms them and does not benefit them. But the Children of Israel certainly knew that whoever purchased the magic would not have in the Hereafter any share. And wretched is that for which they sold themselves, if they only knew.

yep, Islam is totally compatible with science...:rolleyes:

Pastek

Sunni muslim
What science have to do with that ?

You think that scientists can't be believers in the same time ?

egcroc

we're all stardust
What science have to do with that ?

You think that scientists can't be believers in the same time ?

of course not, we got plenty of great scientists out there who believe in Magic, Demons, Dark arts, Potions.... etc

that's their academic center
header209830.gif

ametist

There are ways of playing with elements without necessarily understanding god. So it becomes a distracting force.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh. This thread isn't about what I thought it was going to be. Seems this is about the scapegoating and defamation phenomena that occur in human societies rater than actual witchcraft, much less modern religious Witchcraft, esotericism, or occult practices.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Oh. This thread isn't about what I thought it was going to be. Seems this is about the scapegoating and defamation phenomena that occur in human societies rater than actual witchcraft, much less modern religious Witchcraft, esotericism, or occult practices.

Hah... yeah I just observe :D doing the real life Willy Wonka meme