• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is this Okay? Is this normal?

bonanzazz

It's good that you are receiving medication and help, but can I ask, what caused the anxiety in the first place?
I wish I knew to be honest. I'm only starting to recognize when I'm being struck and what it feels like. Once I've mastered that I'm sure I'll pinpoint the immediate cause. :)

bonanzazz

That blog writer needs to grow a spine. Granted I've been in situations worse than that and went on auto-pilot when I felt there was a physical threat (heck there usually was) but reading that there isn't any indication other than him being aware it's his feelings being hurt.

He should of told them to **** off and went back inside. No reason to let them ruin his day like that. I don't respect what the JW's did at all but I also don't really respect people who never stand up for anything.

I've never had an atheist be mean to my face about my beliefs, but I've known plenty of Christians who have been.
Hello, writer here, nice to meet you.
As for getting a spine- perhaps I needed to go through this in order to grow that thick skin so to speak. My mother always raised me to be kind to my elders so I didn't immediately tell them to go and f*** themselves, :)

Neither have I had anyone relate me and my love for my husband to bestiality and pedophiles. Don't know if you've ever been in shock, but that was the best way I could describe it. Flabbergasted that people acted that way to others. When a simple- maybe this isn't for you or have a nice day would've sufficed ;)

bonanzazz

I lived next to two JW families (I still live next to one of them), and I got/get along well with them and, generally speaking, they were courteous.

My problem with them is not that but is the same problem that I have with many fundamentalists, namely that they take the "my way or the highway" approach, which is both condescending and insulting. In Judaism, such an approach is not allowed because it stands the chance of ripping a person away from their faith and leaving them with nothing.

Any religion or denomination that's based on a certainty of being correct is simply being foolish.
I couldn't agree more. I've had a deeper connection to any sort of faith when the person talking to me didn't take the "my way or the highway" approach. It's the dialogue and not insulting people that made us see eye to eye.

bonanzazz

I see no insult here. I assume the JWs were legitimately concerned with what they considered a spiritually hazardous state of affairs. They're analysis of the situation may have reflected a simplistic, black-and-white view of morality, and the comparison with pedophilia mistaken, but they were doing the best they could in a situation entirely new to them.

These weren't psychologists or trained counselors, they were religious indoctrinees.
A fair assessment and a perspective i hadn't considered

bonanzazz

I've never had rude JWs. But I was once at a friend's Rocky Horror Themed costume party, helping her set up during the day. Answered the door dressed as half eaten Meatloaf (ha!) and the two little old lady JWs nearly had a heart attack.

Although equating pedophilia with homosexuality is one of my personal pet peeves. At best it's intellectually lazy/dishonest, at worst it's an affront to not only gay people, but victims of pedophiles. I would have torn into that guy, JW or not.
I wish you'd have been here so I could've seen how to handle the situation. Perhaps I could've taken notes :)

bonanzazz

No, it's not normal or proper. It's rude, ignorant and disrespectful to say the least. However, I have little sympathy for the blog author. His first mistake was to engage them in conversation. I would have cut them off with "I'm not interested, I have my own beliefs".
Apologies for making that mistake. (Author here)
Is never come across a religious person who came out firing with hostile comparisons outta the gate. The only time I'd experienced that was with Westboro.
I try not to assume that all religious people in a select group are that hateful. :)

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I wish you'd have been here so I could've seen how to handle the situation. Perhaps I could've taken notes :)
Lol. I wouldn't take notes from me, but I would advise explaining why informed consent separates the two sexual expressions. (Pedophilia and homosexuality) and that equating the two is a logical fallacy.