• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is this Okay? Is this normal?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I've never had any experience with JWs that I would consider remotely insulting, their main agenda seems to be to convince you to accept their little brochures and possibly invite you to a meeting, Atheists on the other hand are constantly insulting believers in every way, manner and form, at least if this forum is representative.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Is this something that is normal. Do religious people usually go to strangers homes and insult them? Compare them to pedophiles and animal rapists? I sure do wonder why conversion doesn't work when you talk to people this way.
In case you were feeling good about yourself- There’s a Jehovah’s Witness ringing your doorbell.

Just learn from it. Figure out how to handle it better next time. You can't expect JW's are going to change their approach. So if you want a different, better outcome next time, just figure out how to be in control of whatever conversation you are a part of.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
That wasn't very nice of them and certainly not a good way to invite people to their religion. What's the deal with bad dreams and mental health if you don't mind my asking?

David1967

Premium Member
I personally have never had any JW act rudely toward me. Of course they try to convince you that their belief is correct. That's just what missionaries do. No harm done. If you don't like their message just don't go to their convention.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
JW doctrine is fairly conservative and thus not very friendly towards LGBT. However, at least they:
A. Do not believe in hell so they won't be talking about how you deserve to be burned forever.
B. Don't vote, so they won't be enacting their LGBT hostile views outside the Kingdom Halls.

bonanzazz

I've never had any experience with JWs that I would consider remotely insulting, their main agenda seems to be to convince you to accept their little brochures and possibly invite you to a meeting, Atheists on the other hand are constantly insulting believers in every way, manner and form, at least if this forum is representative.
I'm sorry that Atheists come to these forums to be jerks. Beliefs may differ but nobody deserves the hate or to be put down.

bonanzazz

Just learn from it. Figure out how to handle it better next time. You can't expect JW's are going to change their approach. So if you want a different, better outcome next time, just figure out how to be in control of whatever conversation you are a part of.
I'll try better at taking words others say less personally. It's just hard sometimes when people of a different faith come to your property and compare you to vile acts. You know?

bonanzazz

JW doctrine is fairly conservative and thus not very friendly towards LGBT. However, at least they:
A. Do not believe in hell so they won't be talking about how you deserve to be burned forever.
B. Don't vote, so they won't be enacting their LGBT hostile views outside the Kingdom Halls.
That's an extremely positive way to view the situation. Thank you for sharing your words with me. They helped me feel at least a little better about the situation.

bonanzazz

That wasn't very nice of them and certainly not a good way to invite people to their religion. What's the deal with bad dreams and mental health if you don't mind my asking?

Recently went to the hospital because anxiety has started affecting my day to day/ability to sleep.
Recurring nightmares of different ways I've deceased happen when I do sleep.
Medication/sleep aids at night are helping but it doesn't help overcome encounters like the one posted.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Recently went to the hospital because anxiety has started affecting my day to day/ability to sleep.
Recurring nightmares of different ways I've deceased happen when I do sleep.
Medication/sleep aids at night are helping but it doesn't help overcome encounters like the one posted.
It's good that you are receiving medication and help, but can I ask, what caused the anxiety in the first place?

Milton Platt

Is this something that is normal. Do religious people usually go to strangers homes and insult them? Compare them to pedophiles and animal rapists? I sure do wonder why conversion doesn't work when you talk to people this way.
In case you were feeling good about yourself- There’s a Jehovah’s Witness ringing your doorbell.

Never had a JW be outright rude, but I do find them sometimes annoying and tedious. I have more than once allowed them in and tore apart their little make believe world for them.

Kapalika

Premium Member
That blog writer needs to grow a spine. Granted I've been in situations worse than that and went on auto-pilot when I felt there was a physical threat (heck there usually was) but reading that there isn't any indication other than him being aware it's his feelings being hurt.

He should of told them to **** off and went back inside. No reason to let them ruin his day like that. I don't respect what the JW's did at all but I also don't really respect people who never stand up for anything.

I've never had an atheist be mean to my face about my beliefs, but I've known plenty of Christians who have been.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I lived next to two JW families (I still live next to one of them), and I got/get along well with them and, generally speaking, they were courteous.

My problem with them is not that but is the same problem that I have with many fundamentalists, namely that they take the "my way or the highway" approach, which is both condescending and insulting. In Judaism, such an approach is not allowed because it stands the chance of ripping a person away from their faith and leaving them with nothing.

Any religion or denomination that's based on a certainty of being correct is simply being foolish.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I see no insult here. I assume the JWs were legitimately concerned with what they considered a spiritually hazardous state of affairs. They're analysis of the situation may have reflected a simplistic, black-and-white view of morality, and the comparison with pedophilia mistaken, but they were doing the best they could in a situation entirely new to them.

These weren't psychologists or trained counselors, they were religious indoctrinees.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never had rude JWs. But I was once at a friend's Rocky Horror Themed costume party, helping her set up during the day. Answered the door dressed as half eaten Meatloaf (ha!) and the two little old lady JWs nearly had a heart attack.

Although equating pedophilia with homosexuality is one of my personal pet peeves. At best it's intellectually lazy/dishonest, at worst it's an affront to not only gay people, but victims of pedophiles. I would have torn into that guy, JW or not.

Last edited:

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Christianity starts with the premise that all humankind deserves hell and eternal punishment. They judge themselves this way.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Is this something that is normal. Do religious people usually go to strangers homes and insult them? Compare them to pedophiles and animal rapists?

No, it's not normal or proper. It's rude, ignorant and disrespectful to say the least. However, I have little sympathy for the blog author. His first mistake was to engage them in conversation. I would have cut them off with "I'm not interested, I have my own beliefs".