• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is there no outcry from the Christian Right against divorce?

sooda

Veteran Member
I don´t find marriage mentioned anywhere in the Constitution. Virtually anything that requires a license is not a right.

Rights are inherent, not granted or rescinded by the government.

Domestic law 101.. Marriage is a contract between two consenting parties.. The government is NOT a party to the contract. The marriage license is just to register the marriage.

You really should learn the basics.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Groups f Jews
The Jews killed Jewish homosexuals, as far as I know there was no Roman mobs in Judea.
Therefore?
Why do you think Paul told Christian slaves to do their jobs and keep quiet ? Do you know what happened to slaves who didn´t do their job or complained ? They got beaten or killed. What could that possibly accomplish ? Paul told them this for their own safety.
No, Paul told them to be good little slaves because Paul saw nothing essentially wrong with the slavery system of his dayt. And he was only stating the obvious when he pointed out that manumission was possible and they should keep that in mind.
Moral judgements have absolutely nothing to do with superiority of one over another.
Then in what sense are they judgments? It seems plain to me that any negative moral judgment is an assertion of the inferiority of the judged.
No one is forced to join a church. When they volunteer and want to join a Church, they swear they will accept the behavior standards of the Church. If they choose not to accept the standards, that is their right. The Church has the right to enforce the established standard.
It'd be nice if that were true. Instead, not least in the US, we find churches demanding that civil laws echo their prejudices. Look at those states trying to get around Roe v Wade, for example, to the loud cheers of the Christian right.
You adhere to the social concept that homosexuality is a status that is inherent in people at birth. However, though sciences has a plethora of hypotheses to this effect, there is no established theory, and no consensus as to how this occurs.
I have no clear picture of why some people are sexually attracted to their own sex. Or to b&d, or to all the varieties of human nature. If it's freely consenting adults in private, it's none of my business ─ nor in my view yours, or any church's.

But ─ correct me if I'm wrong ─ you think of God as omnipotent; hence from your point of view, each of us must have the sexual identity we have because that's what God has wished on us. Omnipotence leaves no other possibility.

So where the churches and I differ is that I don't tell people the responsible and reasonable exercise of their own sexuality in their own lives is a sin and something which they must repent.

Spartan

Stop diverting the focus onto same sex marriage and tell me why Christians are not lobbying for divorce to be banned. Aren’t both a sin? The subject of this thread is Christians wanting a ban on same sex marriage but saying nothing about divorce. Why? All I ask is why they’ve lobbied against same sex marriage but not divorce. Can you answer that?

You guys may want to clean up your own house first. From Wikipedia:

"A study tracking married couples over a 10 year span found lesbian marriages were most likely to end in divorce. Of the 580 lesbian couples who were married in 2005, 30% were divorced ten years later compared to 18% for heterosexual couples and 15% for gay male couples."

Divorce of same-sex couples - Wikipedia

Yeah, straighten out those lesbians, OK? Get in your car and go to the pro-LGBT churches and find out why they're not having a national crusade against divorce. Then report back to us.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
There is no evidence in the Bible that homosexuals were executed by the Jews..

Welp...I'm not massive on Biblical evidence. But I assume it's Levitcus 20:13 thats being referred to.

Thing is, the reality of Jewish law was less harsh than Leviticus makes it sound, and I'm not aware of any evidence of men being executed for male on male intercourse.

Still, I'd readily bow to those who know Jewish history better than me. It's not my strong point.

Roman history is, and at first I was thinking there was a suggestion that the Romans executed homosexuals, hence my initial surprised question.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I don´t find marriage mentioned anywhere in the Constitution. Virtually anything that requires a license is not a right.

Rights are inherent, not granted or rescinded by the government.

Laws are measured against the US Constitution. It’s the SCOTUS’s job to ensure laws meet or don’t violate the principles of the US Constitution. Again, you failed.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
You guys may want to clean up your own house first. From Wikipedia:

"A study tracking married couples over a 10 year span found lesbian marriages were most likely to end in divorce. Of the 580 lesbian couples who were married in 2005, 30% were divorced ten years later compared to 18% for heterosexual couples and 15% for gay male couples."

Divorce of same-sex couples - Wikipedia

Yeah, straighten out those lesbians, OK? Get in your car and go to the pro-LGBT churches and find out why they're not having a national crusade against divorce. Then report back to us.

This is not about gay or lesbian divorce. We’re not shifting focus. As usual in your posts, you’re shifting focus and creating red herrings.

So, tell me again why there are no proposed laws to ban divorce? Oh wait, you never did say.

sealchan

Laws are measured against the US Constitution. It’s the SCOTUS’s job to ensure laws meet or don’t violate the principles of the US Constitution. Again, you failed.

Quite right...without government there would be no guarantee of safety or body of authority to appeal to for justice. Even the Bible depicts the evolving of government within the chosen people.

Now we have a government that has self-consciously divorced itself from theistic alliance and has the ideal of being fully independent of association with any particular theology in the hopes of escaping the turmoil that was Europe when people (immigrants) came to this country to escape all of that harmful nonsense.

Spartan

This is not about gay or lesbian divorce. We’re not shifting focus. As usual in your posts, you’re shifting focus and creating red herrings.

So, tell me again why there are no proposed laws to ban divorce? Oh wait, you never did say.

Why don't you go ask your gays who are getting divorced?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Why don't you go ask your gays who are getting divorced?

source.gif

Because I'm asking you.

shmogie

A word has a singl
Where you see degradation others see completion and fulfillment.
A word has a single definition for thousands of years, it is changed in an hour to accomodate 5-8 percent of the populace, voiding thousands of years of understanding of the word.

Read 1984, especially why big brother strives so strongly to control the language and it´s definitions.

shmogie

Actually, the supremes are not oracles, nor are they divine. any supreme court decisions have been overturned by the following supreme court. They had passed bad law. Dred Scott was returned to slavery by the supreme court, as an example, there are many others.

Failed ? Are you grading a test ?

sealchan

A word has a singl

A word has a single definition for thousands of years, it is changed in an hour to accomodate 5-8 percent of the populace, voiding thousands of years of understanding of the word.

Read 1984, especially why big brother strives so strongly to control the language and it´s definitions.

Words are constantly changing their meaning. As others have indicated, marriage is also a contractual agreement which has as much to say about property and social order as it does about procreation. Marriage has been used for centuries to change a person's rights under a governing body (I'm watching an episode of Outlander where this tactic is being used in the 18th century).

In the end the distinction between a marriage and a civil union with all the same personal, social, financial, you-name-it consequences...all that does is trivialize the word itself into being a mere formality pointing toward a reality of experience much deeper and more important that the word used to indicate it.

So ya, you can keep the word 'marriage' if you like. It really doesn't matter...a rose by any other name...

shmogie

Words are constantly changing their meaning. As others have indicated, marriage is also a contractual agreement which has as much to say about property and social order as it does about procreation. Marriage has been used for centuries to change a person's rights under a governing body (I'm watching an episode of Outlander where this tactic is being used in the 18th century).

In the end the distinction between a marriage and a civil union with all the same personal, social, financial, you-name-it consequences...all that does is trivialize the word itself into being a mere formality pointing toward a deep and rich meaning.

So ya, you can keep the word 'marriage' if you like. It really doesn't matter...a rose by any other name...
Possibly. Meanings of words can change by usage, it is another thing when they are changed by government fiat.

That is the foundation of the issue, and a government that can control the definition of words by doublespeak, ultimately controls the populace,