• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is there no outcry from the Christian Right against divorce?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
upload_2019-10-28_15-41-1.png

They (Christian Right) were so fixated on prohibiting same sex marriage, really without any valid Biblical citations, that they completely ignored Matthew 7. Or maybe they have an edited versions?

upload_2019-10-28_15-43-59.png

"Tawk amongst yahselves"...

tumblr_nqb8ivMhtw1qewm9xo1_1280.png

shmogie

View attachment 33881

They (Christian Right) were so fixated on prohibiting same sex marriage, really without any valid Biblical citations, that they completely ignored Matthew 7. Or maybe they have an edited versions?

View attachment 33882

"Tawk amongst yahselves"...

tumblr_nqb8ivMhtw1qewm9xo1_1280.png
What kind of Biblical evidence do you want prohibiting same sex marriage ? Your point is ridiculous. The Bible only mentions marriage in the context of a man and woman. Those who practiced homosexuality were executed at the time of Christ and the Apostles. Christ said not one thing regarding this law . Christian law is clear, homosexuals in the world can do whatever they chose, homosexuals in the Church must either repent and abstain, or be excluded from the Church. Paul makes this abundantly clear.

You are right about divorce. However, it has become acceptable in many denominations, which is no surprise, as we were told the corrupt world and many of itś practices would seep into many congregations.

shmogie

What kind of Biblical evidence do you want prohibiting same sex marriage ? Your point is ridiculous. The Bible only mentions marriage in the context of a man and woman. Those who practiced homosexuality were executed at the time of Christ and the Apostles. Christ said not one thing regarding this law . Christian law is clear, homosexuals in the world can do whatever they chose, homosexuals in the Church must either repent and abstain, or be excluded from the Church. Paul makes this abundantly clear.

You are right about divorce. However, it has become acceptable in many denominations, which is no surprise, as we were told the corrupt world and many of itś practices would seep into many congregations.
BTW, lets have a Hindu exegesis of Matthew 7. Put your feet up, unwind your turban, put Ravi Shankar low on the stereo, start some incense in that burner shaped like a woman with eight arms, and tell me all about it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Because no one should stay in a bad marriage.
The OP was about why Christians don't obey what the Bible tells them to do when it comes to divorce. Or is it OK for Christians to cherry-pick what parts of the Bible they will honor and which they will ignore?

This is referring to those who are selective in what they focus on, not Christians who are consistent

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
What kind of Biblical evidence do you want prohibiting same sex marriage ? Your point is ridiculous. The Bible only mentions marriage in the context of a man and woman.

No, it is not ridiculous. Conservative Christians constantly cite Lev. 18:22 and Paul in Roman and Corinthians against homosexuality, and same sex marriage by extension.

Those who practiced homosexuality were executed at the time of Christ and the Apostles.

Citation and source? Specific incident(s)?

Christ said not one thing regarding this law . Christian law is clear, homosexuals in the world can do whatever they chose, homosexuals in the Church must either repent and abstain, or be excluded from the Church. Paul makes this abundantly clear.

I am not Christian, so why have Christians lobbied so hard to prevent me from marrying whom I want? I'm not obligated to Christ, Paul, the church, or anything having to do with them. Where do they get off trying to take marriage away from me based on their beliefs?

Until Lawrence v. Texas and Obergefell v. Hodges we couldn't do whatever we chose, i.e. have sexual relationships without being jailed, or get married.

Then they should look at themselves in the mirror. Remember that beam and plank thing?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Because no one should stay in a bad marriage.

Not talking about abuse or a bad marriage. Most divorces are not due to abuse, but rather to either adultery (which even Jesus says is a valid reason) or "irreconcilable differences", i.e. you want out of the marriage, or something better comes along.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Adultery or irreconcilable differences means a bad marriage.

That's not what Jesus said. He only said adultery. He did not say "bad marriage". This is why we have no-fault divorce.

upload_2019-10-28_17-8-20.png

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
BTW, lets have a Hindu exegesis of Matthew 7. Put your feet up, unwind your turban, put Ravi Shankar low on the stereo, start some incense in that burner shaped like a woman with eight arms, and tell me all about it.

And just what is that supposed to mean? That's not any Hindu practice I ever heard of. o_O

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
A marriage that is unhappy or where there is a struggle for control.

So that's immediate grounds for divorce, without so much as counseling or mediating? See, there's the problem... instant gratification... I want what I want and I want it now, and what I want is out.

sooda

Veteran Member
So that's immediate grounds for divorce, without so much as counseling or mediating? See, there's the problem... instant gratification... I want what I want and I want it now, and what I want is out.

You're the one adding qualifiers.

Women are no longer chattel.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
shmogie said:
And just what is that supposed to mean? That's not any Hindu practice I ever heard of. o_O
I think it's his way of subtly discrediting you before you say anything at all...

epronovost

I think the title is a bit misleading. There is a certain outcry against divorce within Christian communities. While they accept the principle of divorce and "no fault divorce", I have heard many Christian leaders talk on and on about the importance of marriage and the ills of divorce up to and including to the point where more reasonnable people would suggest that a divorce is in order (for example in cases of domestic violence). From my personnal experience with Christians, which in my area are mostly Roman Catholics, there is a certain "distrust" for the practice of divorce. There many instence where one could say Christians seem to cherry pick the Bible, but I don't think this is one of them or at least not to the point the OP seem to be alluding.

sooda

Veteran Member
I think the title is a bit misleading. There is a certain outcry against divorce within Christian communities. While they accept the principle of divorce and "no fault divorce", I have heard many Christian leaders talk on and on about the importance of marriage and the ills of divorce up to and including to the point where more reasonnable people would suggest that a divorce is in order (for example in cases of domestic violence). From my personnal experience with Christians, which in my area are mostly Roman Catholics, there is a certain "distrust" for the practice of divorce. There many instence where one could say Christians seem to cherry pick the Bible, but I don't think this is one of them or at least not to the point the OP seem to be alluding.

I think the end of a marriage is always hard and disappointing. Its sure not something that people take lightly.