• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is the theory of evolution...still considered a theory?

Wirey

Fartist
I think the verse you quoted speaks of mind and spirit
compared to the void and the lack of light (any kind).....God would be that First Light

If you only think it and aren't 100% certain, doesn't that make it a theory?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
but I also believe the garden event happened
Man took a sudden diversion from that form dealt on Day Six
Man ?, I was there, its nothing to do with me, is this god so vengeful that he needs to make the rest of the entire world suffer, just because of two gullible people ?.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Man ?, I was there, its nothing to do with me, is this god so vengeful that he needs to make the rest of the entire world suffer, just because of two gullible people ?.
nay.....I believe the first couple passed the test of the forbidden fruit
and then the specimens were released back into the environment

and suffering has always been a part of this life

God gave Man dominion
it is Man that forms the suffering

psychoslice

Veteran Member

God gave Man dominion
I personally don't believe in the garden, maybe as metaphor, but certainly not literally, we all come from the Source, or Consciousness, and the body we have while we are here is only for a short time, because we are separated from the Source we are seen as carnal. Whole we are a mind body organism most of us forget our true Home, Consciousness. Because of this we suffer, we get attached to the body and make up all sorts of stories to please ourselves, not wanting to ever die. We make up religions, and the stories within those religions help us to feel better, they act as our crutch throughout our life.

Deidre

God gave Man dominion

Hi Thief :)
I agree in part, but I'm thinking that the ''forbidden fruit'' was a metaphor and not a literal story. Are you a creationist, or support creationism?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I think the one crucial aspect of evolution that science cannot provide is the purpose and meaning of our existence. How we live is conditioned by what we think our purpose is. Are we an animal here just to dominate and control each other and satisfy our base appetites or are we just an accident of nature meant to get as much out of life then disappear and be annihilated for good?

Science can say we evolved but that doesn't give meaning or purpose to our lives. Are we just beasts who have now defined our territory as the world and are all seeking world domination or are we spiritual beings meant to live side by side in peace?

These are the questions in need of urgent resolution.

As our world is at a cross roads with things like war, the collapse of the world economy, global warming and the refugee crisis and world poverty, we find ourselves with a paralysis of will.

On the one hand we say we want peace but on the other we are not willing to erect a system where we can all have it because of our belief that man is intrinsically an animal and will always be warlike and aggressive so we don't try.

I'm building a world civilisation on the ground because I believe in humanity. I believe we are spiritual beings not animals, that can rise to great heights and establish peace so I have full confidence in humanity and no paralysis of will. So I build brick by brick.

But the hopelessness and despair that's out their reflects this conflict of identity of who we are. Are we an animal that can never change or are we primarily spiritual beings who have great potential?

interminable

منتظر
I think the one crucial aspect of evolution that science cannot provide is the purpose and meaning of our existence. How we live is conditioned by what we think our purpose is. Are we an animal here just to dominate and control each other and satisfy our base appetites or are we just an accident of nature meant to get as much out of life then disappear and be annihilated for good?

Science can say we evolved but that doesn't give meaning or purpose to our lives. Are we just beasts who have now defined our territory as the world and are all seeking world domination or are we spiritual beings meant to live side by side in peace?

These are the questions in need of urgent resolution.

As our world is at a cross roads with things like war, the collapse of the world economy, global warming and the refugee crisis and world poverty, we find ourselves with a paralysis of will.

On the one hand we say we want peace but on the other we are not willing to erect a system where we can all have it because of our belief that man is intrinsically an animal and will always be warlike and aggressive so we don't try.

I'm building a world civilisation on the ground because I believe in humanity. I believe we are spiritual beings not animals, that can rise to great heights and establish peace so I have full confidence in humanity and no paralysis of will. So I build brick by brick.

But the hopelessness and despair that's out their reflects this conflict of identity of who we are. Are we an animal that can never change or are we primarily spiritual beings who have great potential?
When they accepted evolution and denied god there is no need to think about these metaphysical subjects
Just eating and drinking would be their ultimate goal and purpose of life

Actually they don't want to think about these matters otherwise who can deny the existence of an intelligent creator behind it???
They look for any cause and why
But when we talk about cause of human body why he's here
They say evolution and natural selection

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Hi Thief :)
I agree in part, but I'm thinking that the ''forbidden fruit'' was a metaphor and not a literal story. Are you a creationist, or support creationism?
I do believe in a Creator.
I do believe He brought life to this world.....with strong intent
and I believe He is free to manipulate His creation as He sees fit

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I personally don't believe in the garden, maybe as metaphor, but certainly not literally, we all come from the Source, or Consciousness, and the body we have while we are here is only for a short time, because we are separated from the Source we are seen as carnal. Whole we are a mind body organism most of us forget our true Home, Consciousness. Because of this we suffer, we get attached to the body and make up all sorts of stories to please ourselves, not wanting to ever die. We make up religions, and the stories within those religions help us to feel better, they act as our crutch throughout our life.
not wanting to die is the pivot.
we know we must...but do not want to and will go to great effort to continue breathing

but we won't
breathing is a guarantee.....you won't

I believe Man as he walked on Day Six was little more than self centered animal
moving in numbers as other herds do......safety in numbers

but each one passing before the spirit within could gel
dying without intention of continuing in spirit
not having considered
not having determined

The garden event is a manipulation
Adam is a chosen son of God
in body and mind....a long walk with God
and then to keep it going.....
Adam was given his twin sister for a bride.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No, I don't think the theory of evolution has been proven. To the contrary, evidence has mounted against the theory, and some scientists are openly rejecting the theory outright, based on that evidence.
This is completely false.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Not sure if this is a silly question, but since we know that there exists plenty of viable information to support the theory of evolution, why is it still only considered a theory? Why isn't it a law? Or called something else? Theory implies a set of ideas that is supposing something to be true. Think we're past the idea phase of the theory of evolution, no?

Well classical physics was once considered so well established and widely accepted as to represent 'immutable laws'- and was far more directly observable, testable, i.e. scientific than evolution ever was. So I think 'theory' is being more than generous for evolution considering it's problems and lack of general support

interminable

منتظر
Nothing in evolution denies any deities. It just fails to presume any.
Since they can't see complexity and perfect designs they already believe in chance
And u know well that chance is substitute for god
And ignoring all of phenomena is considered '''intentional denial''''

I told in my previous post a kind of whale travel about 22000 kilometres to find food

Evolution told them to do so???

Evolution is a modern ignorance

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Since they can't see complexity and perfect designs
Not sure what you mean to say here. Is that a way of saying that they should presume divine intent?

they already believe in chance
Sure. Not everything that happens was meant to.
No, I don't. I don't think God is at all a necessary concept, not even enough to need a substitute.
You mean, such as the evidence for evolution? Or the existence of hydrocephalus and anencephaly in nature?

Yes, I would say that qualifies as intentional denial, and is a major reason to criticize what is usually called "Creationism".

I told in my previous post a kind of whale travel about 22000 kilometres to find food

Evolution has no will. Are you aware of natural selection? Would you feel like describing it in your own words, perhaps?
I am sorry that you think so. Among other reasons, because you are quite wrong.

interminable

منتظر
Not sure what you mean to say here. Is that a way of saying that they should presume divine intent?

Sure. Not everything that happens was meant to.

No, I don't. I don't think God is at all a necessary concept, not even enough to need a substitute.

You mean, such as the evidence for evolution? Or the existence of hydrocephalus and anencephaly in nature?

Yes, I would say that qualifies as intentional denial, and is a major reason to criticize what is usually called "Creationism".

Evolution has no will. Are you aware of natural selection? Would you feel like describing it in your own words, perhaps?

I am sorry that you think so. Among other reasons, because you are quite wrong.
This forum is atheist's forum I suppose

U understand what I mean

In our philosophy there is a rule
It say:
Something/somebody that doesn't have something it/he can't give that to others

Just Reverse this rule

thinking, love, being alive ,knowledge , power must come from something that has them otherwise it can't share them

This rule is meant to be about god's perfect attributes

For a seeker after the truth one single point is enough

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
This forum is atheist's forum I suppose

Not exactly, but that is not really relevant either. Nor should it be. Science is science, with or without atheism.

U understand what I mean
I don't really. I do make some educated guesses at times, but it is a risky business.

Even if I did know exactly what you mean, it is not proper for me to put words in your mouth when I disagree with you, don't you think?

In our philosophy there is a rule
It say:
Something/somebody that doesn't have something it/he can't give that to others

Just Reverse this rule

thinking, love, being alive ,knowledge , power must come from something that has them otherwise it can't share them

This rule is meant to be about god's perfect attributes

For a seeker after the truth one single point is enough

Is that supposed to apply to biology?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Really? Completely false? Some scientists haven't rejected the ToE?
You will find some scientists among the millions who reject any position whatsoever. Your contention that

"evidence has mounted against the theory, and some scientists are openly rejecting the theory outright, based on that evidence." - Is completely false.

When 98% of all scientists and 99% of all scientists with PhDs say evolution happened (91% say by natural selection, 8% also add divine guidance in evolution) and when this position show no uptick or down-tick over time, I call it a consensus. In fact it is the largest consensus in the entire poll (more than vaccination!) .
http://www.pewinternet.org/files/2015/07/AAAS-Members-Elaboration-7-16-15-FINAL-Appendix-A.pdf

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Since they can't see complexity and perfect designs they already believe in chance

You failed to reply to my invitation about knowing about the science first before making criticisms . From this I infer that you are here mere to air your views and not to have genuine conversations. Do I infer correctly?