• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is the Right Wing Anti-Science?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
" as its taught".
Its an easy obvious concept but-
Sure. It gets brief mention in school, while in
Church its denounced with more lies
than lucifer can think of.
Even intelligent people can be conned.
And by those numbers, a lot are.
Exactly...the ones who accept it without question have been conned.

Audie

Veteran Member
You seem to share the ex-presidents lack of understanding about Vaccines.
The vaccines have done their job, and saved many thousands of lives, however the virus is everchanging.
we shall probably need to be vaccinated every years for the foreseeable future, for maximum protection.
It may never be possible to find a vaccine that covers all variations and Protects long term.
What is the job of vaccines?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
This is the backwater America I speak of. Those who reject science because it conflicts with the superstitious beliefs they were indoctrinated into as children.One can still be intelligent and yet also willfully ignorant/intellectually dishonest.

Because it conflicts with their hocus pocus, logic and evidence be damned.

You can take a person out of the backwater, but you can't take the backwater out of a person.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
What is the job of vaccines?

Vaccines prevent sickness and death. by preparing your bodies defences against a virus attack.

No vaccine prevents you from catching the virus, some manage to ensure that your defences are sufficient to prevent it spreading before symptoms show.

The bodies defences to some viruses need reinforcing at least annually so as to fight variants, especially for people with weakened defences. Flue and Corona viruses fall into that6 category.

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I got all the shots, got covid anyway.
Very mild, hardly slowed me,down.

So it did its job.
No Vaccine stops you catching a virus. Your body can only get to work on it once you have caught it.
The Covid virus multiplies very quickly and it take time for the body to defeat it.
Some other viruses can have a very slow incubation periods and are defeated before any symptoms show.

RestlessSoul

I'd argue otherwise. The West Coast has put out a lot of good music, with Jimi Hendrix making Seattle holy decades before Grunge.

I’m calling Jimi as an honorary Brit ;). Had to come to London to get himself heard originally.

He was playing electric blues anyway, like Eric Clapton, Peter Green, Jeff Beck, Ronnie Wood, all the guys he hung with over here. No Muddy Waters or BB King = no Jimi, no Rolling Stones, no Cream etc…

Must be something in the water in Seattle though tbf. Nirvana were ****ing epic.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd argue otherwise. The West Coast has put out a lot of good music, with Jimi Hendrix making Seattle holy decades before Grunge.

Yes, but in one way or another, going back, it all seems to trace back to the Delta Blues.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Truth in love

Some grist for the mill... (published in 2010, before bleach fixed the Chinese flu)

- Is the Right Wing Anti-Science?
Its often not a hate of science. It's a love of truth and seeing that the "science" label is not accurate. Low grade science has been pushed many times as a form of control. Many people reject that. There is nothing more scientific than wanting good evidence and not just blindly following someone who has a title or degree.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Its often not a hate of science. It's a love of truth and seeing that the "science" label is not accurate. Low grade science has been pushed many times as a form of control. Many people reject that. There is nothing more scientific than wanting good evidence and not just blindly following someone who has a title or degree.

The problem is that the right has put its own power above truth. From creationisms, to climate change denial, to anti-vax, they seem to be more interested in whether they are on top rather than whether what they say is true.

Those claiming low grade science is used for control generally have, themselves, a poor understanding of the science. And, by not having that understanding, they cannot effectively evaluate the evidence they are given.

That is NOT a love of truth: it is a love of self posing as a love of truth.

Truth in love

The problem is that the right has put its own power above truth. From creationisms, to climate change denial, to anti-vax, they seem to be more interested in whether they are on top rather than whether what they say is true.

Those claiming low grade science is used for control generally have, themselves, a poor understanding of the science. And, by not having that understanding, they cannot effectively evaluate the evidence they are given.

That is NOT a love of truth: it is a love of self posing as a love of truth.
I'm all for truth. (poorly veiled insult BTW).

We know that a lot of lies were told about the efficacy of the Pfizer covid vaccine. Not to sure about others, but someone not wanting that I respect their right to choose.
Creationism explains many things that evolution fails to do (I've been waiting decades for someone to show me inorganic material becoming life spontaneously). Yet the limits of the theory are denied and anyone who wants to see the evidence is labeled a science denier (AKA heretic) or perhaps is accused of being stupid or uneducated. These tactics don't promote actual scientific inquiry
I can observe the climate, but it hard to keep up if its freezing, or warming or pausing as the models and ascribed casual effects don't fit what can be observed. (the frequent fraud by the "experts" does not promote trust either).

In short I don't buy a lot of the rumor and low grade garbage being label science. I want to see it for myself.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Its often not a hate of science.
Well good for you to admit it's sometimes hate for science. With far right christians we see a pattern of contempt for science because of an underlying contempt for experts and ethics. They value their own alternative views that are highly flawed and easily discredited. Creationism is the classic alternative view that get obliterated by anyone with a good functioning understanding of science.

It's a love of truth and seeing that the "science" label is not accurate.
Right wing extremism offers no successful critique of science. It spreads disinformation to feed the poorly informed right wing members of society. The attacks on Fauci, on vaccinations, on any expert that gave valid advice and information about the pandemic and vaccines were attacked by right wing media and certain republicans. None of this is seeking truth. This is right wing extremism and a threat to public health.

Low grade science has been pushed many times as a form of control.
Here is an example of how right wing extremists try to impugn science and discredit work by experts. There is no such thing as low grade science.

Many people reject that. There is nothing more scientific than wanting good evidence and not just blindly following someone who has a title or degree.
Yet the right wing extremists use this sort of tactic to imply experts in public health are somehow unqualified. Or that vaccines are some how flawed and the effects exaggerated. Experts in science have high standards of ethics, and the right wing extremist does not, so we see this sort of "concern" as a cover for lack of respect. As an example during the pandemic FOX news required all employees be vaccinated or be tested 3 times a week. Over 90% of FOX employees got vaccinated, yet their evening pundits would openly criticize Fauci, the CDC, the vaccines, and government decisions to help mitigate the spread of Covid. Hypocrites who followed CDC guidelines but lied to their audience every night.