• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is the Right Wing Anti-Science?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I agree, but an anti-science attitude seems to have an association with those on the right, rather than the left - as a generalisation. Wondering why...

Short answer. When you are fighting for being right, you tend to conflate different versions of right. I.e. objective, social/political and existentially. There is more of course, but when you dig in on being right and start adding emotions, critical thinking goes on.
Further aspects
  • not enough education.
  • education seen as liberal.
  • can't understand how the US is failing and good old days gone.
  • propaganda based on bias and fear.
Properly more.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think t is intelligent people they are against, because intelligent people can see right through their b**lsh*t
Watch out...partially hidden profanity is a rule violation.
We don't want no bloody knuckles in this thread.

Anyway, not all the right is against science.
(Just as not all the left is for it.) There's
diversity in them thar groups. But I suspect
that greater Christian religiosity on the right
tends toward anti-science, eg, vaccination.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Watch out...partially hidden profanity is a rule violation.
We don't want no bloody knuckles in this thread.

Anyway, not all the right is against science.
(Just as not all the left is for it.) There's
diversity in them thar groups. But I suspect
that greater Christian religiosity on the right
tends toward anti-science, eg, vaccination.
Yes, to be clear, I'm not suggesting there's a perfect correlation between the two, but my perception is that it is a trait more likely found in those of a particular political persuasion. It also seems to be an American phenomenon although I could be wrong in that. Maybe it just gets the most attention.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, to be clear, I'm not suggesting there's a perfect correlation between the two, but my perception is that it is a trait more likely found in those of a particular political persuasion. It also seems to be an American phenomenon although I could be wrong in that. Maybe it just gets the most attention.
Just looking at anti-vax beliefs, they sure do
correlate with the right, especially MAGAs.
Just yesterday I heard an interview with one,
who said that getting Covid is up to God.

exchemist

Veteran Member
We have it in the UK too. "We've had enough of experts" was the rallying cry, when everybody who knew anything about economics, geopolitics or history said that leaving the EU was a bad idea. And now?.......[cue circus music and clowns]........

It has indeed become a feature of the populist Right to dismiss expertise as the work of "elites", whenever the expert advice is not what they want to hear. This is why, as a long-term conservative voter, I find myself now voting for the Left. (I did my bit getting the Tories out of my local London Borough council - Wandsworth :thumbsup: ).

Embracing stupidity, ignorance and lies seems to have become a prerequisite for any aspiring politician on the Right these days. Just look at these craven fools in Cabinet. Patel. Truss. George Useless. Mad Nad. And Bozo of course. I despair.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
We have it in the UK too. "We've had enough of experts" was the rallying cry, when everybody who knew anything about economics said that leaving the EU was a bad idea. And now?.......[cue circus music and clowns]........

It has indeed become a feature of the populist Right to dismiss expertise as the work of "elites", whenever the expert advice is not what they want to hear. This is why, as a long-term conservative voter, I find myself now voting for the Left. (I did my bit getting the Tories out of my local London Borough council - Wandsworth :thumbsup: ).
I did think of the experts comment when writing this but left it out as it was a reference to economics rather than science, although I see it's the same anti-intellectual attitude.
And thank you for your effort in Wandsworth, I hope it didn't require too much nose-holding. :)

exchemist

Veteran Member
I did think of the experts comment when writing this but left it out as it was a reference to economics rather than science, although I see it's the same anti-intellectual attitude.
And thank you for your effort in Wandsworth, I hope it didn't require too much nose-holding. :)
Not at all. The Tories have been competent administrators in the borough, ever since I first moved to Putney in 1987 and later when I moved to Clapham/Balham in 2002. But any governing group can get complacent and their record on things like social housing is far from stellar. As a well-off retiree I feel a bit guilty about that and would quite like to pay a bit more for better help for the poorer people - many of whom I see at mass every Sunday. So I don't think turning over the council is a bad thing to do. At the very least it will make the local Tories think harder about what to do to regain the people's trust. (Mind you, I also saw the local Tory (ex-) councillor, Caroline, at mass last Sunday...with a face like thunder;).)

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Some grist for the mill... (published in 2010, before bleach fixed the Chinese flu)

- Is the Right Wing Anti-Science?

I'd probably say that if you happen to believe in Bible literalism, a lot of science contradicts what the Bible says, and that just can't be. If you can't trust science, therefore, you probably can't trust history, government, etc. It's easier to hide away than be influenced by "the world."

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I think the fact that most conservatives are also biblical literalists, with evolution vs. creationism being a primary example, kicked off the anti-science sentiment.
It's for the same reason that the right easily swallow cockamamie poppycock conspiracy theories because they've already forgone critical thinking to maintain their fanciful faith.

Last edited:

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Who has a history of denying evolution, climate change, vaccinations, epidemiology, heliocentrism, spherical earth, etc?

Conservatives.
Because a lot of that is used to scare people. "The sky is falling..." There's a hole in the ozone!"
Covids going to kill everyone!" Way overblown.
And evolution is highly debatable.
I'm not sure where you're getting heliocentrism denying conservatives, BTW.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Because a lot of that is used to scare people. "The sky is falling..." There's a hole in the ozone!"
Covids going to kill everyone!" Way overblown.
And evolution is highly debatable.
I'm not sure where you're getting heliocentrism denying conservatives, BTW.
LOL! The hole in the ozone was a real problem. It is getting better. Do you know why? Because the whole world banned CFC's!!

You are only confirming the OP, you are not helping your side at all.