• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is the number of coronavirus deaths in the USA the highest in the world?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
The U.S. coronavirus death toll climbed above Italy’s on Saturday and is now the highest in the world, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

By Saturday afternoon, 19,701 fatalities from COVID-19 had been recorded in America, according the aggregation of local figures, even as much of the country braces for what could be the worst of the outbreak. Italy’s death toll stood at 19,468.

U.S. coronavirus death toll passes Italy, now highest in world

So with the USA being one the most prosperous countries in the world with a supposedly advanced health system why does the USA have the highest number of cases of COVID-19 along with the highest number of deaths?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
China is lying and the U.S. has a much larger population than a lot of other countries and many of the countries with large populations like India and are not testing very much.

They are all reasonable points. Comparing mortality rates would be a fairer comparison.

gnomon

The U.S. coronavirus death toll climbed above Italy’s on Saturday and is now the highest in the world, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

By Saturday afternoon, 19,701 fatalities from COVID-19 had been recorded in America, according the aggregation of local figures, even as much of the country braces for what could be the worst of the outbreak. Italy’s death toll stood at 19,468.

So with the USA being one the most prosperous countries in the world with a supposedly advanced health system why does the USA have the highest number of cases of COVID-19 along with the highest number of deaths?

What does this have to do with religion? Why is this in religious debates?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you referring to case-fatality ratio? If so, we don't know how many people have actually had the virus. I have heard estimates that the confirmed cases only represent 6% of estimated cases.

I was referring to the fatality ratio per head of population.

So we could examine a rough estimate of the population of each country

Population by Country (2020) - Worldometer

and then the number in each country who have died of coronavirus.

Coronavirus Update (Live): 1,780,287 Cases and 108,822 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

We could then calculate the number of deaths per million which has been completed on this link.

The number of deaths per million would be:

San Marina 1032
Spain 355
Andorra 337
Italy 322
Belgium 289
France 212
Sint Maarten 210
Netherlands 154
UK 145
Switzerland 120
Luxembourg 99
Sweden 88
Ireland 65
Bermuda 64
USA 62
Iran 52

So perhaps a better question would be why does the USA have one of the highest mortality rates per head of population? In that way the USA is not singled out as having the worst rate. Its mortality rate per head of population is comparable to other countries, particularly European countries.

gnomon

Religion or worldview is an important aspect of perspective, culture and how we respond to adversity.

And what, exactly, in your OP or actual responses regards an aspect of perspective, culture, or religion and how to respond to adversity?

Answer: None.

So again, why is a thread that should be a general discussion inhabiting a religious debate thread?

Or perhaps you would like to open up a religious or cultural debate in response to this pandemic? We could look at South Korea, from a cultural perspective?

But this is a religious debate forum. Not a cultural and sociopolitical debate forum.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Coronavirus Live Updates: Total Number of Confirmed Deaths in U.S. Surpasses Italy

United States. 6 deaths per 100,000
Italy 32 deaths per 100,000

If and when we reach 32 deaths per 100,000 (which appears to be where we are headed), a bit over 100,000 Americans will have died.

The virus is progressing in the US more or less like its earlier progression in Italy. Count per 100,000 can be expected to rise dramatically.

Study South Korea. Had we early on done what they did, we'd not be expecting 100,000 to 300,000 Americans to die this year of COVID-19, and we would not have had to shut down the whole country to stay safe. But -- as everyone except the most partisan among us knows -- Mr. Trump wasted weeks doing little or nothing to even prepare for this pandemic, let alone counter it. Quality of leadership counts.

amorphous_constellation

Well, those are things people like to say, but how true are they really? And what does the term 'prosperous' mean as it relates to the lives of ordinary americans. Is everyone that one sees walking down the street especially prosperous? Another strange and abstract term is 'advanced.' It sort of seems to imply, in the context in which we use it, that all the ways of life can be linearly judged. And since we are 'advanced,' we clearly then are superior in the ways in which we do everything. I tell you what, I don't think we are 'prosperous' or 'advanced.' I turn on the tv, and I see a lot of people I can't relate to, with goals I don't really share. They often seem disorganized and argumentative, and rather dull. If we get behind with this thing, it doesn't surprise me at all

gnomon

Coronavirus Live Updates: Total Number of Confirmed Deaths in U.S. Surpasses Italy

If and when we reach 32 deaths per 100,000 (which appears to be where we are headed), a bit over 100,000 Americans will have died.

The virus is progressing in the US more or less like its earlier progression in Italy. Count per 100,000 can be expected to rise dramatically.

Study South Korea. Had we early on done what they did, we'd not be expecting 100,000 to 300,000 Americans to die this year of COVID-19, and we would not have had to shut down the whole country to stay safe. But -- as everyone except the most partisan among us knows -- Mr. Trump wasted weeks doing little or nothing to even prepare for this pandemic, let alone counter it. Quality of leadership counts.

Yes! Great! I agree!

Now what does this have to do with religion?

Watchmen

Premium Member

The latest from IHME is projecting about 61,000. Not the numbers you’re talking about.

We Never Know

No Slack
The latest from IHME is projecting about 61,000. Not the numbers you’re talking about.

I live in a town with around 4,500 population. We are under stay at home orders unless you have to get out(groceries, Dr, etc) plus essential workers are out.
Here's the problem. If I have to run into town, I see more people running around than what we saw out from the lockdown of Wuhan China with a population of 11.8 million.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I was referring to the fatality ratio per head of population.

So we could examine a rough estimate of the population of each country

Population by Country (2020) - Worldometer

and then the number in each country who have died of coronavirus.

Coronavirus Update (Live): 1,780,287 Cases and 108,822 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

We could then calculate the number of deaths per million which has been completed on this link.

The number of deaths per million would be:

San Marina 1032
Spain 355
Andorra 337
Italy 322
Belgium 289
France 212
Sint Maarten 210
Netherlands 154
UK 145
Switzerland 120
Luxembourg 99
Sweden 88
Ireland 65
Bermuda 64
USA 62
Iran 52

So perhaps a better question would be why does the USA have one of the highest mortality rates per head of population? In that way the USA is not singled out as having the worst rate. Its mortality rate per head of population is comparable to other countries, particularly European countries.

What is your view on the nature of the virus?

I never heard such a thing only described as "a respiratory illness" but killed so many people. Do you think it's more than just washing your hands and sneezing around people?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

Thousands upon thousands of people have traveled directly from disease infested China into America since the China corona virus formed in Wuhan. Even after travel restrictions were imposed against travel from China to America, there were still some few dozen thousands of travelers, lots of whom might have been Covid-19 infected people, who might have carried the China corona virus into America.

Some 430,000 people flew from China to US after coronavirus first detected: report

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
China is lying and the U.S. has a much larger population than a lot of other countries and many of the countries with large populations like India and are not testing very much.

Based on the number of reported cremations and Urns sold in Wuhan, there were likely some few dozen thousands of Covid-19 related deaths there. Their Covid-19 death count is under reported by over a factor of ten.

Reports: Virus Death Toll in Wuhan over 10x China's Official Number

PureX

Veteran Member
Thousands upon thousands of people have traveled directly from disease infested China into America since the China corona virus formed in Wuhan. Even after travel restrictions were imposed against travel from China to America, there were still some few dozen thousands of travelers, lots of whom might have been Covid-19 infected people, who might have carried the China corona virus into America.

Some 430,000 people flew from China to US after coronavirus first detected: report
It doesn't matter how many people brought it here. Even if only one person brought it, once it began to spread, it would have reached the same levels, regardless. The problem is not who brought it, the problem is that we are unable to stop it's spread.