• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is the Church of LDS of Jesus Christ the only denomination growing in the NZ Christian community

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
New Zealand has a census every five years and it asks questions about religious affiliation. There are rapidly changing demographics with the NZ population as a whole but also within Christianity.

Religion in New Zealand - Wikipedia

There has been a pronounced shift towards identifying with no religion (49% up from 42%), a decline in those who identify as Christian (37% down from 48%) and the number of those with a non-Christian religion (7.5% up from 6%). These are huge changes over a 5 year period.

An examination of what’s happening within Christianity is fascinating. The three largest Christian denominations: Catholicism, Anglican, Presbyterian have recorded massive reductions of those who identify with these denominations. The Catholic Church for example has approximately halved the the proportion of the population in NZ who identify with this faith (6.2 % down from 12.6 %). Most other denominations have taken a substantial hit. Interestingly there has been a slight increase in the proportion of those who identify with being Christian, without specifying any denomination (6.6% up from 5.5%). Other non denominational identities such as being evangelical, born again or fundamentalist have also increased. The only denomination with substantial numbers to have grown as an overall proportion is the Church of the LDS of Jesus Christ (1.16% up from 1.04).

So why is the Church of LDS of Jesus Christ the only major Christian denomination to have experienced growth amidst the rapid decline of Christianity in NZ? Is it a phenomenon in other countries? Why is this Church growing whereas others are in a state of unprecedented decline?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
New Zealand has a census every five years and it asks questions about religious affiliation. There are rapidly changing demographics with the NZ population as a whole but also within Christianity.

There has been a pronounced shift towards identifying with no religion (49% up from 42%), a decline in those who identify as Christian (37% down from 48%) and the number of those with a non-Christian religion (7.5% up from 6%). These are huge changes over a 5 year period.

An examination of what’s happening within Christianity is fascinating. The three largest Christian denominations: Catholicism, Anglican, Presbyterian have recorded massive reductions of those who identify with these denominations. The Catholic Church for example has approximately halved the the proportion of the population in NZ who identify with this faith (6.2 % down from 12.6 %). Most other denominations have taken a substantial hit. Interestingly there has been a slight increase in the proportion of those who identify with being Christian, without specifying any denomination (6.6% up from 5.5%). Other non denominational identities such as being evangelical, born again or fundamentalist have also increased. The only denomination with substantial numbers to have grown as an overall proportion is the Church of the LDS of Jesus Christ (1.16% up from 1.04).

So why is the Church of LDS of Jesus Christ the only major Christian denomination to have experienced growth amidst the rapid decline of Christianity in NZ? Is it a phenomenon in other countries? Why is this Church growing whereas others are in a state of unprecedented decline?

Better PR strategy.
Public relations of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Wikipedia

epronovost

The LDS church has an agressive missionnary strategy that earns them a good number of converts and is extremely rich compared to other churches that don't draw tithes in such a systematic way. The Catholic Church has been shaken by scandals of sexual predation and while the LDS Church has also faced such scandals, they were less high profile due to the fact the LDS Church remains a rather small sect compared to Catholics.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
FWIW I like the Church of the LDS of Jesus Christ. They participate in the Interfaith movement and they are involved in service projects. They seem like nice people. Their missionaries are courteous, respectful and give an organised presentation of their faith. They adhere to high moral standards. Its not hard to see why they would be attract new converts. Its not a Church I could see myself joining but the Church as some important positive qualities.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I can't give you a really good answer, but I know that Mormonism has had similar growth spurts in other countries throughout it's history. During the mid- to late-1800s, growth in Great Brittan, Germany, and Demark was huge, and Northern Europeans made up a large percentage of early converts. Nowadays, missionaries heading off to those countries could probably expect to convert only a half dozen (if that) number of people in two years. Missionaries heading to certain parts of South America are each baptizing several dozen people in that same period of time. Also, countries with a lot of Pacific Islanders tend to be very receptive to missionaries. I'd be willing to bet that nobody on this forum (except maybe the LDS posters) know that Tonga is over 60% LDS. France, on the other hand, is .06% LDS.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe it is because they go door to door and like most cults make it difficult for a person to leave and brainwashing probably has a lot to do with that.

Muffled

Jesus in me
FWIW I like the Church of the LDS of Jesus Christ. They participate in the Interfaith movement and they are involved in service projects. They seem like nice people. Their missionaries are courteous, respectful and give an organised presentation of their faith. They adhere to high moral standards. Its not hard to see why they would be attract new converts. Its not a Church I could see myself joining but the Church as some important positive qualities.

I believe it does not serve new believers well. When I was preaching the gospel, I would recommend the Baptist church because it has a focus on teaching the Bible. The greatest need for a new convert is to learn from the Bible.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I can't give you a really good answer, but I know that Mormonism has had similar growth spurts in other countries throughout it's history. During the mid- to late-1800s, growth in Great Brittan, Germany, and Demark was huge, and Northern Europeans made up a large percentage of early converts. Nowadays, missionaries heading off to those countries could probably expect to convert only a half dozen (if that) number of people in two years. Missionaries heading to certain parts of South America are each baptizing several dozen people in that same period of time. Also, countries with a lot of Pacific Islanders tend to be very receptive to missionaries. I'd be willing to bet that nobody on this forum (except maybe the LDS posters) know that Tonga is over 60% LDS. France, on the other hand, is .06% LDS.

Hi there Katzpur ... I have a question for you regarding this. How diligent is the LDS with regard to numbers changing due to withdrawal from the faith? I know in some groups that there is hesitation to do follow ups or keep track of folks who sort of just become inactive. In India, for example, missionaries will go into a village, get a ton of people to sign a card, and then count them as converts. Of the LDS converted members in Tonga, for example, what is the long tern retention rate?

Thanks in advance.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hi there Katzpur ... I have a question for you regarding this. How diligent is the LDS with regard to numbers changing due to withdrawal from the faith? I know in some groups that there is hesitation to do follow ups or keep track of folks who sort of just become inactive. In India, for example, missionaries will go into a village, get a ton of people to sign a card, and then count them as converts. Of the LDS converted members in Tonga, for example, what is the long tern retention rate?

Thanks in advance.
Once someone is baptized, he is counted as a member whether he is "active' or "inactive." I think the reason for this is that people have different reasons for becoming "inactive." These can range from no longer believing or having one's feelings hurt and/or feeling slighted to things like poor health. Before I got the "calling" to serve out at the Salt Lake Metropolitan Jail on Sunday -- a calling which meant that for at least three years, I would no longer be attending my home "ward" (i.e. congregation, for those who don't know), I was actually on the verge of becoming inactive myself. For me, it was just a matter of finding services boring (I mean 71 years is a long time to listen to the same stuff over and over again) and often feeling like I didn't fit in very well due to my more liberal worldview. Even if I had become inactive, I would always consider myself to be a Latter-day Saint and would want to be counted as such. Then too, people may be inactive for a period of time and then resume activity. And how do you define "active"? Would someone have to attend church on a weekly basis in order to be considered active, or would once a month suffice? These are some of the reasons why the Church counts all baptized individuals as members. If a person asks to have his name officially removed from the Church's membership records, which is not as big a deal as a lot of people would have you believe, he is no longer counted as a member.

All of that said, retention rates in the Church have admittedly been a problem in recent years. People come into the Church all gung-ho and then lose interest or decide it's not for them after all. I don't really know about the retention rates in Tonga. About all I can tell you is that as of a couple of years ago, there were roughly 170 LDS congregations in Tonga and 64,824 members of the Church. That would be a little less than 400 people per congregation. Obviously, not all of these members are active, but, when the active membership in a ward drops below a certain level, Church leadership generally combines two wards into one. The fact that this isn't happening on a frequent basis implies that the retention rate in that country is reasonably good. (By the way, 40% of Samoans are LDS. Those are the two countries in the world with the greatest percentage of the population being LDS.)

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The most recent numbers I could find indicate that there are 115,236 Latter-day Saints in New Zealand. 2.38% of New Zealanders are LDS, which is 1-in-42 people. (Source: LDS Church in New Zealand)
I was just going by this from the OP
The only denomination with substantial numbers to have grown as an overall proportion is the Church of the LDS of Jesus Christ (1.16% up from 1.04).

I was also being a bit facetious.
Tom

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

This is helpful and I've just worked out why your church is the only significant Christian denomination that is growing in terms of the population percentage. It is because of the huge rise in the number of Pacific Islanders in our country, either through immigration or through birth.

According to the census figures the numbers of Samoans and Tongans have increased.

Samoan 144,138 (2013), 182,721 (2018)
Tongan 60,333 (2013), 82,389 (2018)
Cook Island Maori 61,077 (2013), 80,532 (2018)

List of ethnic origins of New Zealanders - Wikipedia

These populations have relatively high numbers from your church.

Religion in Samoa - Wikipedia

Religion in Tonga - Wikipedia

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Isnt that a 6% annual growth?
That's correct. However the New Zealand population based on census data increased by 457,707 from 4,242,048 to 4,699,755 or about 11%. So it would be better to compare religion as a percentage of the population. In that case it is more like about 4% per annum. That is still remarkable given the decline with Christianity as a whole and that all the other major religions have declined. However the growth most likely reflects immigration from Pacific Island countries and higher birth rates among Pacific Islanders as opposed to new converts.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Once someone is baptized, he is counted as a member whether he is "active' or "inactive." I think the reason for this is that people have different reasons for becoming "inactive." These can range from no longer believing or having one's feelings hurt and/or feeling slighted to things like poor health. Before I got the "calling" to serve out at the Salt Lake Metropolitan Jail on Sunday -- a calling which meant that for at least three years, I would no longer be attending my home "ward" (i.e. congregation, for those who don't know), I was actually on the verge of becoming inactive myself. For me, it was just a matter of finding services boring (I mean 71 years is a long time to listen to the same stuff over and over again) and often feeling like I didn't fit in very well due to my more liberal worldview. Even if I had become inactive, I would always consider myself to be a Latter-day Saint and would want to be counted as such. Then too, people may be inactive for a period of time and then resume activity. And how do you define "active"? Would someone have to attend church on a weekly basis in order to be considered active, or would once a month suffice? These are some of the reasons why the Church counts all baptized individuals as members. If a person asks to have his name officially removed from the Church's membership records, which is not as big a deal as a lot of people would have you believe, he is no longer counted as a member.

All of that said, retention rates in the Church have admittedly been a problem in recent years. People come into the Church all gung-ho and then lose interest or decide it's not for them after all. I don't really know about the retention rates in Tonga. About all I can tell you is that as of a couple of years ago, there were roughly 170 LDS congregations in Tonga and 64,824 members of the Church. That would be a little less than 400 people per congregation. Obviously, not all of these members are active, but, when the active membership in a ward drops below a certain level, Church leadership generally combines two wards into one. The fact that this isn't happening on a frequent basis implies that the retention rate in that country is reasonably good. (By the way, 40% of Samoans are LDS. Those are the two countries in the world with the greatest percentage of the population being LDS.)
You seem to me to be a lot younger than 71 years* (or more? because a little child has no faith but for his family and you say "71 years"...maybe you suppose you are LDS from your infancy). Bravo, lady! I can see that your faith in the way of God has not ever made you appear unreasonable. I have scrolled down through the thread just to read your posts of which I was certain would be here. I shall say that what you post is always on point with your belief that God communicates to us through the Latter Day Saints. Your brothers and sisters have to be proud of you. I am.

*not an insult. You are fresh, vibrant, intune, alive, and all heart! If I were to embrace a religion it might be the LDS or (Haha) the Amish. So, help me, God!

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
The most recent numbers I could find indicate that there are 115,236 Latter-day Saints in New Zealand. 2.38% of New Zealanders are LDS, which is 1-in-42 people. (Source: LDS Church in New Zealand)

How would you account for the differences in census numbers and numbers recorded by your church? The numbers recorded by your church are slightly over twice as high as the census figures in New Zealand, over three times higher for Tonga and over two times higher for Samoa?