• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is the Bible even considered in the first place as being foundational for Christianity?

omega2xx

Onan was killed because he disobeyed God's orders to sire a child. Sperm has never been considered life itself in theological circles.

Not true. We all disobey God but He does not kill us. Read the minor prophets. They were constantly worshiping idols and God did not kill them.

Maybe not in liberal theological circles, but it is in conservative theological circles. You know, those who actually believe the Bible.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Maybe not in liberal theological circles, but it is in conservative theological circles. You know, those who actually believe the Bible.
Could you be any more disingenuous as this is not a "liberal" or "conservative" debate? So, why do you politicize even something as innocuous as this?

Prophets speak on God's behalf, therefore Onan's disobedience to the prophet also was a disobedience to God, which is quite obviously why God killed him.

This simply is not a liberal/conservative thingy, so maybe it's best not to fabricate something out of nothing. If you continue to fabricate false motives, then I think one could say that you really don't believe in Biblical morality.

omega2xx

Could you be any more disingenuous as this is not a "liberal" or "conservative" debate? So, why do you politicize even something as innocuous as this?

Why do you complain when all I did was respond to YOUR comment?

Prophets speak on God's behalf, therefore Onan's disobedience to the prophet also was a disobedience to God, which is quite obviously why God killed him.

He disobeyed God's rules of a leverite marriage. God does not kill us for disobedience. There was life in the sperm that would have created a life. What he did was the same as murder.

This simply is not a liberal/conservative thingy, so maybe it's best not to fabricate something out of nothing.

The subject is about abortion, if abortion is murder or not is a liberal/ conservative issue and you don't get to determine what is fabricated.

If you continue to fabricate false motives, then I think one could say that you really don't believe in Biblical morality.

My motives are not false and I understand Biblical morality much better than you do.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The subject is about abortion, if abortion is murder or not is a liberal/ conservative issue and you don't get to determine what is fabricated.
The narrative has literally nothing to do with abortion whatsoever.

Milton Platt

With the Abraham religions there is a trust factor involved, not with a particular writing, but of who wrote it. Whether one wants to trust the supposed authorshiop of any particular book in the Bible is important to consider. Depends a lot on whether someone trusts John, Matthew, Paul and/or Jesus as being legit historical prophets of God. That takes the sort of faith that goes beyond the writings themselves.

Right up front are the names.....would someone named John, Mathew, or Paul be living in the middle east back then?

The verse you quoted were not even about abortion or fetuses.
Yes, they were, and as I said earlier, ignoring it won't make it go away.

The fetus is a life---killing it is murder. In Gen 38:9-10, Onan, instead of trying to have his brothers wife have a child, spewed his seed on the ground and God took his life. There is life even in man's sperm, and God considered what he did murder.
A great example of how the bible contradicts itself.

Because it wasn't relevant to the subject.
Has anything we've discussed been relevant to the OP so far?

A great example of a lack of understanding.
Are you describing yourself? I gave you examples that were clear as day from the bible that showed the bible authors did not care about fetuses. YOUR ONLY example is a verse that says if a JEWISH MARRIED MAN'S WIFE is made to miscarry that the death penalty can be imposed. If a pregnant women isn't married, isn't Jewish, or is suspected of being unfaithful, was raped, the bible authors didn't care one iota about her unborn child, AT ALL. That has been clearly demonstrated. The only fetuses that the bible cares about are those that belong to married believers. Otherwise, they didn't care, AT ALL. The current day belief of pro-lifers that ALL fetuses are people and need protection doesn't come from the bible, period, it just doesn't. You are in denial.