• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is the Bible amazing?

firedragon

Veteran Member
We don't really know how many authors have contributed to the Bible throughout history. But one thing for sure is the Bible has several types of books. Some scholars follow Genre criticism so heavily that some find it difficult to get out of it. It' almost intoxicating they say. I am thinking if I knew Hebrew I would see the beauty of the Tank's poetry but unfortunately I don't. One scholar said that the "The rhythmic and to some extent the syntactic aspects of the system will be invisible in translation".

One of my most favourite books in the Bible is the Ecclesiastes. Is it prose, poetry or as sociologists would say "sacred history". What ever it is, I think its a very modern thought in it. Advance philosophical thinking. That has always fascinated me.

Jeremiah, even in English translation sounds rhythmic to me.

Moab has been placid from youth,
settled in his lees.
Never emptied from vessel to vessel,
in exile never gone.
And so his taste has kept,
his fragrance has not changed.

But Jeremiah is not just a poem. It is a book of doctrine.

Recently in an exchange I found it quite surprising that some didn't know that the Boney M song they enjoyed all their life was directly taken from the Bible. By the rivers of Babylon, where we sat down,......

To me, the Bible is a library of fantastic authorship. All kinds of Genre's. This is why the Bible is amazing to me.

Why is it to you (if it is)?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I like some of the music it inspires, and I'll regret saying this most likely, but I'd rather there be a Bible and Christianity than not.

But it's still not a very transformational book for me. It's just one that has taken a lot of my time growing up.

But at least it inspires some pretty good religious songs. I like Hindu inspired songs too, but they're not in English.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
We don't really know how many authors have contributed to the Bible throughout history. But one thing for sure is the Bible has several types of books. Some scholars follow Genre criticism so heavily that some find it difficult to get out of it. It' almost intoxicating they say. I am thinking if I knew Hebrew I would see the beauty of the Tank's poetry but unfortunately I don't. One scholar said that the "The rhythmic and to some extent the syntactic aspects of the system will be invisible in translation".

One of my most favourite books in the Bible is the Ecclesiastes. Is it prose, poetry or as sociologists would say "sacred history". What ever it is, I think its a very modern thought in it. Advance philosophical thinking. That has always fascinated me.

settled in his lees.
in exile never gone.

Recently in an exchange I found it quite surprising that some didn't know that the Boney M song they enjoyed all their life was directly taken from the Bible. By the rivers of Babylon, where we sat down,......

To me, the Bible is a library of fantastic authorship. All kinds of Genre's. This is why the Bible is amazing to me.

I particularly love the historical section of the Bible (Joshua to 2 Kings) it contains so many fantastical tales, tells a great story, has great themes and characters. It’d make a great show. Very entertaining

rocala

I do agree with you about Ecclesiastes. I love 3:1-8 "To everything there is a season". It is really quite beautiful.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The Bible is amazing to me because there are some parts that express certain ideas with more clarity and directness than other scriptures. Specifically the Sermon on the Mount, the two greatest commandments and some other verses.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I like Christopher Hitchens' take on scripture in general. He found it fascinating. To paraphrase him (probably poorly):

Scripture (which is all man-made), represents some of humans' first attempts at philosophy and morality and ethics. The writers had incredibly narrow world views, and were extremely ignorant, but still they managed to codify somewhat workable answers to how to live. Now thousands of years later, we have learned a lot and have better answers. For example, we've determined that "the evil eye" isn't a great approach to harmonious living.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

settled in his lees.
in exile never gone.

people are amazing. people write books because they have a story to tell; so figuratively people are books that have a story to tell.

behold i come in the book that is written of me to do the will of love.

revelation 20:12 - who wrote the book of love?

Altfish

Veteran Member
Why is the Bible amazing?

Because it has so many copies and most people who bought them have hardly read any of it.

InvestigateTruth

people are amazing. people write books because they have a story to tell; so figuratively people are books that have a story to tell.

behold i come in the book that is written of me to do the will of love.

revelation 20:12 - who wrote the book of love?

"And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works."

In my view "Another Book" is an allusion to another Book revealed from God. Judgement of the "dead", means, those who are spiritually dead, will be given a verdict from God, as dead. This is the same as when Christ came, He said let the dead bury their deads. In the second coming He would do that, which is fulfilled in our view.

firedragon

Veteran Member
"And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works."

In my view "Another Book" is an allusion to another Book revealed from God. Judgement of the "dead", means, those who are spiritually dead, will be given a verdict from God, as dead. This is the same as when Christ came, He said let the dead bury their deads. In the second coming He would do that, which is fulfilled in our view.

When I was writing this post I actually forgot the Bahai propagandists who ruin the Bible into smithereens. Allusions, allusions, allusions, as and whey you please. Sounds poetic.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

Love is life. so there are two trees in the midst of the garden but one was hidden, mystified. love is the mystery

InvestigateTruth

When I was writing this post I actually forgot the Bahai propagandists who ruin the Bible into smithereens. Allusions, allusions, allusions, as and whey you please. Sounds poetic.
Book of Life is, an allusion to Baha'u'llahs Revelation, according to Baha'u'llah:

"Let none, in this Day, hold fast to aught save that which hath been manifested in this Revelation. Such is the decree of God, aforetime and hereafter—a decree wherewith the Scriptures of the Messengers of old have been adorned. Such is the admonition of the Lord, aforetime and hereafter—an admonition wherewith the preamble to the Book of Life hath been embellished, did ye but perceive it. Such is the commandment of the Lord, aforetime and hereafter; beware lest ye choose instead the part of ignominy and abasement. Naught shall avail you in this Day but God, nor is there any refuge to flee to save Him, the Omniscient, the All-Wise. Whoso hath known Me hath known the Goal of all desire, and whoso hath turned unto Me hath turned unto the Object of all adoration. Thus hath it been set forth in the Book, and thus hath it been decreed by God, the Lord of all worlds. To read but one of the verses of My Revelation is better than to peruse the Scriptures of both the former and latter generations. This is the Utterance of the All-Merciful, would that ye had ears to hear! Say: This is the essence of knowledge, did ye but understand"
Baha'u'llah, Kitabi Aqdas

InChrist

Free4ever

settled in his lees.
in exile never gone.

The Bible is amazing to me in too many ways to list. Most importantly, the Gospel message which offers freedom from sin and eternal life in Jesus Christ. I really appreciate the prophetic aspect of the scriptures, too, which actually compose about a third of the Bible.

Prophecy

The God of Prophecy

firedragon

Veteran Member
Book of Life is, an allusion to Baha'u'llahs Revelation, according to Baha'u'llah:

"Let none, in this Day, hold fast to aught save that which hath been manifested in this Revelation. Such is the decree of God, aforetime and hereafter—a decree wherewith the Scriptures of the Messengers of old have been adorned. Such is the admonition of the Lord, aforetime and hereafter—an admonition wherewith the preamble to the Book of Life hath been embellished, did ye but perceive it. Such is the commandment of the Lord, aforetime and hereafter; beware lest ye choose instead the part of ignominy and abasement. Naught shall avail you in this Day but God, nor is there any refuge to flee to save Him, the Omniscient, the All-Wise. Whoso hath known Me hath known the Goal of all desire, and whoso hath turned unto Me hath turned unto the Object of all adoration. Thus hath it been set forth in the Book, and thus hath it been decreed by God, the Lord of all worlds. To read but one of the verses of My Revelation is better than to peruse the Scriptures of both the former and latter generations. This is the Utterance of the All-Merciful, would that ye had ears to hear! Say: This is the essence of knowledge, did ye but understand"
Baha'u'llah, Kitabi Aqdas

Strange that someone who has never studied the Kithab al akdhas is quoting it.

Why don't you first study your own scripture and stop preaching in irrelevant threads?

firedragon

Veteran Member
The Bible is amazing to me in too many ways to list. Most importantly, the Gospel message which offers freedom from sin and eternal life in Jesus Christ. I really appreciate the prophetic aspect of the scriptures, too, which actually compose about a third of the Bible.

Prophecy

The God of Prophecy

A third of the Bible is prophetic? Are you serious?

Please provide the statistics. Thanks.

InChrist

Free4ever
A third of the Bible is prophetic? Are you serious?

Please provide the statistics. Thanks.

Almost one-third of the Bible is made up of Bible prophecy as follows:

Verses in Whole Bible 31,124

Verses of prophecy 8,352

Percent of Prophecy in Bible 27%

As shown, prophecy is a major part of divine revelation from God. It gives us a proper prospective on life and helps us to understand the whole Bible. Prophecy also motivates us to live Godly lives in light of eternity and proves the truth of God’s Word.

How Much of the Bible is Prophecy?

According to another source, may be closer to a fourth of the Bible is prophetic, or one in four verses or 27%.

By one count, about 27 percent of the Bible is predictive (Payne, J. B., The Encyclopedia of Biblical Prophecy, Baker Pub. Group, 1980, p. 675). This means that, when written, over one fourth of the Bible—more than one in four verses—was prophetic. Professor and theologian J. Barton Payne lists 1,817 prophecies in the Bible (ibid., p. 674). The consistent relation of prophecy in the Bible is staggering; on top of that is the amazing accuracy of those detailed prophecies.

How much of the Bible is prophecy? | GotQuestions.org

Last edited:

InvestigateTruth

Strange that someone who has never studied the Kithab al akdhas is quoting it.

Why don't you first study your own scripture and stop preaching in irrelevant threads?
Regardless, it was interesting to me, why and how would a man who never studied the Bible, used the same term as is in the Bible referring to His own revelation.