• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is the “Christian” day of rest, on the 8th day?

the 7th day sabbath was to lead Israel to Christ.
That now that Christ did come and risen, that now for Christians we rest in Christ and not on any day of the week.

This is why Christ Jesus said in
Mattew 11:28--"Come unto me, all you that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest"

Note that Christ did not say he will give 7th day sabbath rest, No.
Christ he himself will give you rest.
So we rest in Christ Jesus and not on any day of the week.

Try get away from what _we_ do and what _we_ do not do on the Sabbath, the Sabbath is none of ours! It is "the DAY: The Seventh Day", "made" and "ordained" / "commanded", BY GOD; not by us. Because "the Sabbath" of the Bible, in the Bible is: "the DAY: The Seventh Day Sabbath-rest-DAY: OF: THE LORD GOD"; not ours or the Jews' or whoever's, EXCEPT, "of the LORD your GOD"!

Take it or leave it. Don't be too wise and "too holy" when you speak about the Sabbath-day-of-worship-rest God "made for man"; it never has been anything than "the DAY The Seventh Day Sabbath-rest-DAY: OF: THE LORD GOD". And it never has been another's, the Jews' Sabbath, the Israelis' Sabbath, the Sabbath of the the Seventh day Adventists, the Sabbath of the COG's, the Sabbath of the spirit-filled mega churches... whoever's but, "the Sabbath OF THE LORD GOD"!

Now, Is "the LORD GOD", "your", "GOD"? That is the ONLY question 'we' can, may, and must ask and talk about by the grace of God. We do not have to compose pages long learned treatises, think out clever arguments and raise great wisdom of every kind than, SAY an "IT IS WRITTEN"!

I will tell you one thing: God knows his own! Not only who his Own People are, not only what "His Own Rest" is, "The Rest-of-God" Jesus Christ Whom God RAISED and "RESTED UP AGAIN THE MOST HOLY PLACE", but God, only God, knows "THE DAY OF THE LORD" --"THE LORD JESUS' DAY" of God's Rest "on the DAY The Seventh Day: SABBATH-REST-DAY-OF-THE-LORD-GOD"--"The Last Day" and of the COMING OF THE LORD!

Last edited:

Faithofchristian

Try get away from what _we_ do and what _we_ do not do on the Sabbath, the Sabbath is none of ours! It is "the DAY: The Seventh Day", "made" and "ordained" / "commanded", BY GOD; not by us. Because "the Sabbath" of the Bible, in the Bible is: "the DAY: The Seventh Day Sabbath-rest-DAY: OF: THE LORD GOD"; not ours or the Jews' or whoever's, EXCEPT, "of the LORD your GOD"!

Take it or leave it. Don't be too wise and "too holy" when you speak about the Sabbath-day-of-worship-rest God "made for man"; it never has been anything than "the DAY The Seventh Day Sabbath-rest-DAY: OF: THE LORD GOD". And it never has been another's, the Jews' Sabbath, the Israelis' Sabbath, the Sabbath of the the Seventh day Adventists, the Sabbath of the COG's, the Sabbath of the spirit-filled mega churches... whoever's but, "the Sabbath OF THE LORD GOD"!

Now, Is "the LORD GOD", "your", "GOD"? That is the ONLY question 'we' can, may, and must ask and talk about by the grace of God. We do not have to compose pages long learned treatises, think out clever arguments and raise great wisdom of every kind than, SAY an "IT IS WRITTEN"!

I will tell you one thing: God knows his own! Not only who his Own People are, not only what "His Own Rest" is, "The Rest-of-God" Jesus Christ Whom God RAISED and "RESTED UP AGAIN THE MOST HOLY PLACE", but God, only God, knows "THE DAY OF THE LORD" --"THE LORD JESUS' DAY" of God's Rest "on the DAY The Seventh Day: SABBATH-REST-DAY-OF-THE-LORD-GOD"--"The Last Day" and of the COMING OF THE LORD!

The 7th day sabbath was to lead Israel to Christ Jesus. Now that Christ Jesus has come, that now we rest in Christ Jesus and not on any day of the week.

The 7th day sabbath was to lead Israel to Christ Jesus. Now that Christ Jesus has come, that now we rest in Christ Jesus and not on any day of the week.

The entire content of your conclusion...
'The 7th day sabbath'... What's that? It is supposed to be "the DAY The Seventh DAY Sabbath: OF: THE LORD GOD"--of JESUS CHRIST, the LORD GOD of all ages and dispensations.

'was to lead Israel to Christ Jesus.'... What's that? Never read anything remotely like this in all the Bible. It is simply, YOUR, surmising, LEGALISTIC and therefore untrue, speculation. It's like that booklet E.G. White wrote, 'Steps to Christ'. There has never been one step of man taken 'to' Christ Jesus, while the only steps taken have been his, 'to' us, especially "when God raised Him from the dead ... SO THAT, YE, MAY KNOW WHAT IS the exceeding greatness of HIS Power to us-ward according to the working of HIS mighty Strength", MEANING: That GOD, has been the One who 'leads' sinners 'to Christ Jesus', NOT 'the Sabbath' as "according to" you or your speculation which you undertook and have aimed against the very 'Sabbath' and its function which you ascribe to it, yourself.... which is self-contradictory as can be.

Therefore, Now that Christ Jesus has come, that now MEANS that we rest in Christ Jesus "Sabbaths' Feasting, drinking and eating of Christ the Substance", because: "IF JESUS GAVE THEM REST a Sabbath-rest-Day remains valid : FOR: the People: OF: God!"

Isn't that making perfect sense instead of your illusion ... 'not on any day of the week'. Scripture man, Scripture, please!?

Are you speaking the truth, only the truth and all the truth with this? Have you not meant this for an excuse to have Sunday your own day of worship and rest in Christ Jesus? Asking; not stating for fact...

Faithofchristian

Are you speaking the truth, only the truth and all the truth with this? Have you not meant this for an excuse to have Sunday your own day of worship and rest in Christ Jesus? Asking; not stating for fact...

Just to let you know, I don't belong to any church. Nor do i hold any day of the week.

Therefore I rest in Christ Jesus and not any day of the week.

Let's take this a step further.

In the book of Hebrews chapter 3,

If you remember Moses and Israel were wondering in the wilderness for 40 years,

While they were in the wilderness for
40 years, Israel kept the 7th day sabbath

Now let's see what God has to say in the book of Hebrews chapter 3.

Verse 9--"When your father's tempted me, proved me, and saw my works 40 years"

Verse 10--"Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do always err in their heart: and they have not known my ways"

Even though Israel was keeping the 7th day sabbath for 40 years, Israel still didn't know God's ways"

Just because you keep the 7th day sabbath does not mean, you know God's ways, as did Israel for 40 years keep the 7th day sabbath, but still didn't know God's ways

Verse 11--"So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest"

Even though Israel was keeping the 7th day sabbath for 40 years, they still were not entering God's Rest. As God sware in his wrath that Israel would not enter his rest.

But yet, Israel was keeping the 7th day sabbath, but still was not entering God's Rest.
Just because you keep the 7th day sabbath does not mean that your entering God's Rest.
Israel for 40 years were keeping the 7th day sabbath, but they still were not entering God's Rest.
As God sware in his wrath, that Israel would not enter his Rest. But yet Israel was keeping the 7th day sabbath.
Just because people keep the 7th day sabbath does not mean they are entering God's Rest.

Hebrews chapter 4
Verse 3--"For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest, although the works were finished from the foundation of the world"

Even though Israel was keeping the 7th day sabbath, God sworn in his wrath, if they
( Israel) shall enter into my rest.

Isn't that amazing, even though Israel was keeping the 7th day sabbath, Israel still was not entering God's Rest.

Verse's 4-5, "For he spake in a certain place of the 7th day on this wise, And God did rest the 7th day from all his works.
And in this place again, If they shall enter my rest"

Notice God saying ( If they ( Israel) shall enter my rest.
Even though Israel was keeping the 7th day sabbath, Israel was still was not entering God's Rest.
Just because people keep the 7th day sabbath does not mean they are entering God's Rest. As you can see.

Therefore just because people keep the
7th day sabbath, does not mean in no way. they are entering God's Rest.

Israel was keeping the 7th day sabbath for
40 years in the wilderness, and still was not entering God's Rest.

Therefore we rest in God and not any day of the week.

For Christ said in Matthew 11:28--"Come unto me, all you that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest"

Note Christ said ( I will give you rest)

Therefore we rest in Christ Jesus and not on any day of the week.

Note that in 1 Corinthians 5:7--"Purge out therefore the old leaven, that you may be a new lump, as you are unleavened, for even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us"

Note ( Christ our passover)

You do know the passover is the High Sabbath. Therefore seeing that Christ is our High Sabbath which also means, that Christ is our High Sabbath of Rest.
Therefore we Rest in Christ Jesus .

Last edited:

2ndpillar

Now let's see what God has to say in the book of Hebrews chapter 3.

You do know the passover is the High Sabbath

The book of Hebrew was written by some unknown writer, who certainly was not God. Passover, the 14th of Nissan, is not a "High Sabbath". It is the preparation day for the "Feast of Unleavened Bread", on the 15th of Nissan of the 1st month, which is a "High Sabbath". I suggest you take advantage and get prepared for the "Feast of Unleavened Bread" by throwing out the leaven/hypocrisy. . As the Passover this year appears to be on a regular Sabbath, you might want to thrown the leaven/hypocrisy out of your house on the 30th of March 2018.

Faithofchristian

The book of Hebrew was written by some unknown writer, who certainly was not God. Passover, the 14th of Nissan, is not a "High Sabbath". It is the preparation day for the "Feast of Unleavened Bread", on the 15th of Nissan of the 1st month, which is a "High Sabbath". I suggest you take advantage and get prepared for the "Feast of Unleavened Bread" by throwing out the leaven/hypocrisy. . As the Passover this year appears to be on a regular Sabbath, you might want to thrown the leaven/hypocrisy out of your house on the 30th of March 2018.

The Passover is the High Sabbath. Maybe you should go to Israel and let them know that over thousand of years, of them keeping the Passover, which is the High Sabbath, That they are wrong, and you stand to correct them.

Look the preparation day, is the day before the sabbath day.
Look Luke 23:53-54, Joseph took down the body of Jesus and wrapped it in fine linen and laid it in a Sepulchre.
And that day was the preparation day, and the sabbath drew on,
Meaning the next day being the sabbath day.
The preparation day is always the day in which to prepare everything that needs to be done, before the sabbath day comes.

2ndpillar

The Passover is the High Sabbath. Maybe you should go to Israel and let them know that over thousand of years, of them keeping the Passover, which is the High Sabbath, That they are wrong, and you stand to correct them.

Look the preparation day, is the day before the sabbath day.
Look Luke 23:53-54, Joseph took down the body of Jesus and wrapped it in fine linen and laid it in a Sepulchre.
And that day was the preparation day, and the sabbath drew on,
Meaning the next day being the sabbath day.
The preparation day is always the day in which to prepare everything that needs to be done, before the sabbath day comes.

Sorry, maybe you should actually read your bible, and leave the traditions of the Pharisees to the Jews.(Numbers 28:16-17) & (Lev 23:5-6). & John 20:31. A "high day" "Sabbath", is not the same as a Sabbath. The 14th of Nissan was not a high holy day. It was a day when you could put people on the cross, break "their legs" and take the leaven out of the house. The 14th of Nissan at the time of the crucifixion was on a Wednesday, the high holy Sabbath, the Feast of the Unleavened Bread, the 15th of Nissan, was on a Thursday, and 3 days and 3 nights later, on the evening of the regular Sabbath, Mary Magdalene found the tomb empty on the dawn of the 1st day of the week, which starts at sundown of the previous day. Between the harlots of Judah (Rev 17:16), and the "daughters of Babylon" (Zech 2:7), you seem to be going in circles.

King James Bible John 19:31
The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

Numbers 28: 16‘Then on the fourteenth day of the first month shall be the LORD’S Passover. 17 ‘On the fifteenth day of this month shall be a feast, unleavened bread shall be eaten for seven days. 18‘On the first day shall be a holy convocation; you shall do no laborious work

Faithofchristian

Sorry, maybe you should actually read your bible, and leave the traditions of the Pharisees to the Jews.(Numbers 28:16-17) & (Lev 23:5-6). & John 20:31. A "high day" "Sabbath", is not the same as a Sabbath. The 14th of Nissan was not a high holy day. It was a day when you could put people on the cross, break "their legs" and take the leaven out of the house. The 14th of Nissan at the time of the crucifixion was on a Wednesday, the high holy Sabbath, the Feast of the Unleavened Bread, the 15th of Nissan, was on a Thursday, and 3 days and 3 nights later, on the evening of the regular Sabbath, Mary Magdalene found the tomb empty on the dawn of the 1st day of the week, which starts at sundown of the previous day. Between the harlots of Judah (Rev 17:16), and the "daughters of Babylon" (Zech 2:7), you seem to be going in circles.

King James Bible John 19:31
The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

Numbers 28: 16‘Then on the fourteenth day of the first month shall be the LORD’S Passover. 17 ‘On the fifteenth day of this month shall be a feast, unleavened bread shall be eaten for seven days. 18‘On the first day shall be a holy convocation; you shall do no laborious work

The High Sabbath, is the passover, which comes around once a year, which establish the passover as the High Sabbath, which means, the High Sabbath stands over and above all the other 7th day sabbath.

The High Sabbath is the Passover. It's called the High Sabbath, because on this day of the passover, is when the sacrifiical lamb offering is done once a year.

2ndpillar

The High Sabbath, is the passover, which comes around once a year, which establish the passover as the High Sabbath, which means, the High Sabbath stands over and above all the other 7th day sabbath.

The High Sabbath is the Passover. It's called the High Sabbath, because on this day of the passover, is when the sacrifiical lamb offering is done once a year.

And did you just make this up, or get it from the Jewish Talmud?

Goodness how many more time have I to rewrite everything I've ever written? God help me

Let me try this one...

Last Passover Suffering of Jesus Christ
Father, glorify thy Son
A chronological and logical, historic synopsis of the four Gospels, interlinear Ebersöhn / Greek / KJV
A) Towards the Last Week
(Ordered after Jesus' Last Great Journey)
Dedication of the temple in Jerusalem
John 10:22-39 "it was winter"; "he walked out of their hand" (1)
Away to the upper Jordan
John 10:40-42 (2)
Over Tyre and Sidon
Mark 7:24(-30) "to the regions in Tyre" (2)
Matthew 15:21(-28) to parts of Tyre and Sidon (2)
To Decapolis (after healing of the deaf) [Mt9:32-34]
Mark 7:31-37 "departed from Tyre and passed through Sidon by die Sea of Galilee in die regions of Decapolis (3)
In regions of Dalmanutha (after feeding of the 4000) [Lk9:18-20]
Mark 8: (1-)10 "arrived in the regions of Dalmanutha (3)
In regions of Magdala
Matthew 15: (29-)39 (3)
In Bethsaida
Mark 8:22-26 "came in Bethsaida" (3)
To Caesarea-Philippi
Mark 8:26(-31) "to the towns of Caesarea-Philippi" (4)
Matthew 16:13-28 "to the regions of Caesarea-Philippi"; "Whom do men say that I am" (4)
Luke 9:18-20 "Whom say people that I am?" (6)

Capernaum
Matthew 17: ...24 (before verse 1) in Capernaum (7)
Transfigured on a high mountain
Mark 9:2(-13) on a high mountain (7)
Matthew 17:1(-8) high mountain, 3 disciples apart (7)
Returning through Galilee and Samaria
Mark 9:30,31 from there through Galilee (8)
Matthew 17:...22,23... returning back in Galile (8)
Luke 17:11(-28) on the way to Jerusalem; in the middle of Samaria and Galilee (9)
Having heard Lazarus was sick
John 11:1-16 sent for Jesus to tell him (9)
On the way to Jerusalem : Along the Jordan to Judaea
Mark 10:1(-)28 comes to the regions of Judaea (12)
Matthew 19:1; 27-30 Judaea against the Jordan (12)
Mark 10:32-34 on the way going up to Jerusalem (13)
Matthew 20:17-19 almost time for Jesus to be at Jerusalem (14)
Luke 18:31-34 We return to Jerusalem (15)
Jericho and the blind [Joshua 6:26]
Luke 18:35(-43) approached Jericho [one blind] (15)
Luke 19:1-10 passed through Jericho; Zacchaeus [Hb11:] (17)
Mark 10:46-52 going out of Jericho; Bartimaeus (19)
Matthew 20:29-34 going out of Jericho (20)
In Bethany : Lazarus raised; Bethany
John 11:17-53 four days in the grave. Bethany was near Jerusalem (22)
Away to rural town Ephraim
John 11:54-57 departed from there to Ephraim; passover was near (28)
Between Bethany and Jerusalem
“Six days before feast days of passover” : Sabbath [9th day of First Month]
John 12:1-11 “Six days before feast days of passover” (29)

B) The Last Week (sequence to day and hour)
Palm-Sunday : Entrance into Jerusalem : 5 days before Abib 15 is Abib 10
“Tenth day of the First Month” Exodus 12:3 Ezekiel 40:1 “Bone Day”
John 12:12-19 “the next day” (32)
= Mark 11:1-11 Bethania; entered Jerusalem; entered temple; late unto Bethany (33)
= Matthew 21:1-11 Bethphage; Jerusalem in (36)
= Luke 19:28-44 Bethphage and Bethany; into Jerusalem (38)

Last Week: Monday : 4 days before Abib 15 is Abib 11
Mark 11:12-14 “the morrow Bethany ... fig tree” (41)
= Luke 21:29-33 “behold the fig tree” (41)
Mark 11:15-17 “into temple”; “cast out them that sold”; “moneychangers”; “house of prayer” (42)
= Matthew 21:12-14 “into the temple ... cast out them that sold” (43)
= Luke 19:45,46 “into the temple ... cast out them that sold ... house of prayer” (43)
= Matthew 21:15-17 “children in the temple” (44)
= John 12:20-26 “Greeks … corn of wheat … for this cause I came”: 27 (44)
Mark 11:18 “sought how they might destroy him” (45)
= Luke 19:47,48 “sought to destroy him” (46)
Mark 11:19 “late ... he went out of the city” (46)
= Matthew 21:17 “out of the city into Bethany ... slept in sheepfold” (46)

Last Week: Tuesday : TEACHING 3 days before (Friday) Abib 15 is Abib 12
Mark 11:20 “early ... fig tree dried up” (47)
= Matthew 21:18-22; 45,46 “in the morning ... fig tree” cursed and “immediately dried up” (47)
Mark 11:27,28 “in Jerusalem in temple ... by what authority” (48)
= Matthew 21:23-25 “in temple ... what authority” (49)
= Luke 20:1-8 “one of Those Days ... what authority” (50)
Mark 12:35-37 “Jesus in the temple ... Dawid” (51)
= Matthew 22:23; 41-46 “the Same Day” (52)
= Matthew 24:1-3 “out of tempel … not be left one stone … on Mount of Olives disciples came privately” (53)
= Matthew 26:1-2 “after two day ... crucified” (53)
= John 12:27-36 “this hour ... if I be lifted up from the earth” (54)
= Luke 21:34-38 “on One of Those Days ... Watch that That Day come not upon you unawares” (56)

Last Week: Wednesday : 2 days before (Friday) Abib 15 is Abib 13
Mark 14:1,2 “after two days was the unleavened (days)”“sought how might take him ... not on feast” (57)
= Matthew 26:3-5 “consulted that they might take Jesus ... not on feast” (57)
= Luke 22:1,2 “feast drew near ... sought how” (58)
Mark 14:3-9 “house of Simon .. spikenard on head” (58)
= Matteus 26:6-13 “house of Simon .. spikenard on head” (59)
Mark 14:10,11 “Judas to priests ... promised him money” (61)
= Matthew 26:14-16 “Judas to priests ... covenanted thirty pieces silver” (61)
= Luke 22:3-6 “satan in Judas ... communed with priests ... covenanted money” (61)
= John 12:37-50 “he that rejecteth me ... receiveth not my words” (62)

B) Three days : "the first day"
Last Week: Thursday Abib 14 was 1 day “before” (Friday) Abib 15 (69)
2Chronicles 35:4,6,10,14 “prepared passover … killed the passover
= Exodus 12:15a “when they removed leaven”
= Leviticus 23:22,10 “when ye reap the corners ... bring the first sheaf”
Mark 14:12—15:41 “when they always killed the passover”
= Luke 22:7—23:49 “when they had to kill the passover”
= Mark 14:2 “not on the feast”
= Matthew 26:5 “not on the feast”
= John 19:14-30 “The Preparation of the Passover”
= Matthew 26:17—27:56 “the first day leaven was removed / the first day without leaven”
= John 12:32,34; 8:28 “the Son of Man must be lifted up”
= John 13:1—19:30 “before the feast ... his hour ... it was night ...”
= 1Corinthians 11:23 "The night in which the Lord was betrayed"
= John 16:32 “the hour ... ye shall be scattered every man”

Three daysthe second of :
= “the first day seven days ye shall eat unleavened bread” Exodus 12:15b; 12:18b Leviticus 23:6
= Last Week: Friday : Feast Day Sabbath of Passover was “Abib 15” (Friday)
Exodus 12:15,17,18,42,51
Mark 15:42-47 “having been evening already … since The Preparation which is the Fore-Sabbath having begun”
= John 19:31-42 “since the Preparation had begun ... because That Day was great-day-sabbath (of passover)”
= Matthew 27:57-61
= Luke 23:50-56a