• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is spiritual knowledge seen as less correct then knowledge from science?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Some form of spirituality is considered to be one of eight factors that feed into overall wellness.

85B36FE1-4AA1-441A-B0AF-0EEEE7C590BA.jpeg

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Personally i have nothing against any other religion or spiritual teaching
Interesting. Why not? Religions disagree on many points, so they can't all be right.

Maybe that's the thing here: not "scientific" versus "spiritual," but "justified" versus "not justified."

When someone presents me with a claim and says that it's "scientific," I don't automatically believe it. Instead, I ask the person - or myself - if there's any reason I should accept the claim as true, or at least as likely to be true.

I do the same thing with "spiritual" claims. The difference I've seen, though, is that I'm generally unable to find reasons to accept "spiritual" claims as true.

It sounds as if you don't do this. I get the impression that if someone tells you that a claim is "spiritual," you just accept it as true without asking yourself if you're justified in doing so.

Am I right?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I heard about it through work, the idea seems to have been around a while. This link gives descriptors:

The 8 Dimensions of Wellness: Where Do You Fit In? - GoodTherapy.org Therapy Blog
From your article:

2. SPIRITUAL
Spiritual wellness is related to your values and beliefs that help you find meaning and purpose in your life. Spiritual wellness may come from activities such as volunteering, self-reflection, meditation, prayer, or spending time in nature. Signs of strong spiritual health include having clear values, a sense of self-confidence, and a feeling of inner peace. To improve your spiritual health, it can help to create a quiet space for solitude and contemplation or a place of curiosity and playfulness. Maintaining a playful, curious attitude can help you find experiences that offer hope, purpose, and meaning.
Hope, purpose and meaning are certainly important, but I fail to see how they necessarily have anything to do with "spirituality" as the term has been used in this thread.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I don't have to literally "see" it, no. But there had damn well better be some effect that "it" has on the reality I experience. That is for sure.
How do you know there is not some effect?

How could you know if God is having an effect on the reality you experience?
And this does not mean that effects for which I can't readily discern a cause end up lumped into some kind of supernatural or "God did it" category. Do you understand that? That I readily accept that there are effects on things for which I cannot "see" a cause? Do I deny the effects? Or do I simply deny that someone knows the cause when they haven't provided a shred of credible evidence that their ideas are correct?
No you do not dent the effects of something you cannot SEE such as gravity because you have a scientific explanation. Likewise, I cannot see the weather but I do not deny the effects of this heat wave on my ability to function mentally because it is a known fact that extreme heat can affect mental functioning. :eek:

First you said you would like to see some effect on the reality you experience. Then you said you would like credible evidence that God is the cause, but how could anyone EVER know that God is the cause? Even religious people do not claim to know what God is “doing” at any time; at least the adherents to my religion would never claim to know that, as we believe God is unknowable.

So you would like to SEE things for which you CANNOT discern a cause, supernatural things, and then you might say they could be caused by a God?
And you at least DO claim that there is a thing out there for which the only evidence you have is what you have been told by others. This you DO. You just admitted it here:

Trailblazer said:
I know it exists because it has been revealed in scriptures. There are also spirits that have died and communicated to people in this world and that is further confirmation.

In my estimation, this sort of thing (regarding the very foundations of our universe) is just a little too important to rely on HEARSAY.
It is not hearsay; it is the Word of God. I fully understand that you want proof that it is the Word of God but there is no such proof; there is only evidence that indicates it is the Word of God. Once someone becomes fully convinced that the Messenger of God is evidence for God then that becomes proof that God exists -- to them. But it will not be proof to other people who were not convinced, and since not everyone will be convinced by the Messenger not everyone will become a believer.

As for what comes from the spiritual mediums, I take that with a grain of salt and I only tend to believe it because it concurs with what Baha’u’llah wrote about the afterlife, what little He wrote.

A Vestigial Mote

How do you know there is not some effect?
I honestly don't, and I can admit that. But the point is there is absolutely NO REASON TO BELIEVE IT if I can't know one way or the other. The effects could very well be from something else. Until I investigate and actually figure it out, what sense is there to pretending I know? I could see if there was some compelling evidence that "God did it." But as I see it, there simply isn't any.

How could you know if God is having an effect on the reality you experience?
With the way people always want to describe God, I can't know for sure. But it is EXACTLY the same as not being sure if there isn't a magical rainbow unicorn affecting the reality I experience. It is EXACTLY the same.

No you do not dent the effects of something you cannot SEE such as gravity because you have a scientific explanation.
The scientific explanation doesn't matter. Gravity is a thing that exists, and exists for everyone. It is demonstrated at all times in our universe. You basically can't get away from it. What you are proposing is that we accept something akin to God being the force behind gravity. We don't know that. We can't know that. At the moment, we don't even know WHY gravity is in effect between masses. We don't know the "WHY" - and that is what you are proposing with your "God" explanation - that you KNOW the WHY. But you don't - and I know that you don't, because you have no compelling evidence.

Likewise, I cannot see the weather but I do not deny the effects of this heat wave on my ability to function mentally because it is a known fact that extreme heat can affect mental functioning. :eek:
Of course you do not deny the effects, because they are PRESENT AND ACCOUNTED FOR. God is not. If you want to say that God is behind the weather, then again, PROVE it. And if you can't... then stop saying it - or lose all credibility with people like myself. Your choice, obviously.

First you said you would like to see some effect on the reality you experience. Then you said you would like credible evidence that God is the cause, but how could anyone EVER know that God is the cause?
You just stated the ENTIRE PROBLEM right here! We are in complete agreement - HOW could you EVER know that God is or isn't the cause? For that matter, how could you ever know that flying, invisible, magical, universe-traversing squirrels are or aren't the cause? How can you know?! And the answer is... you don't know until you do. Right now we don't... it is just really, REALLY hard for some people to handle, or admit that.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I honestly don't, and I can admit that. But the point is there is absolutely NO REASON TO BELIEVE IT if I can't know one way or the other. The effects could very well be from something else. Until I investigate and actually figure it out, what sense is there to pretending I know? I could see if there was some compelling evidence that "God did it." But as I see it, there simply isn't any.
I am on the same page. I do not assume God DID anything because I cannot know.
With the way people always want to describe God, I can't know for sure. But it is EXACTLY the same as not being sure if there isn't a magical rainbow unicorn affecting the reality I experience. It is EXACTLY the same.
I agree. I can’t know what God’s effect on reality is, at all.
The scientific explanation doesn't matter. Gravity is a thing that exists, and exists for everyone. It is demonstrated at all times in our universe. You basically can't get away from it. What you are proposing is that we accept something akin to God being the force behind gravity. We don't know that. We can't know that. At the moment, we don't even know WHY gravity is in effect between masses. We don't know the "WHY" - and that is what you are proposing with your "God" explanation - that you KNOW the WHY. But you don't - and I know that you don't, because you have no compelling evidence.
I am not saying that I know WHY. I am only saying that I believe God is responsible for all the natural laws such as gravity, because I believe that God set everything in motion and keeps it afloat.
Of course you do not deny the effects, because they are PRESENT AND ACCOUNTED FOR. God is not. If you want to say that God is behind the weather, then again, PROVE it. And if you can't... then stop saying it - or lose all credibility with people like myself. Your choice, obviously.
God is not present and accounted for but I believe that God exists…. I do not have to prove it to myself because I believe it, so much so that I can say I know it, but not KNOW in the sense of being able to prove it because NOBODY can prove anything about God, that is an given. So any sense of knowing has to be based upon belief and that belief is based upon what evidence we have, coupled with faith on that evidence..
You just stated the ENTIRE PROBLEM right here! We are in complete agreement - HOW could you EVER know that God is or isn't the cause? For that matter, how could you ever know that flying, invisible, magical, universe-traversing squirrels are or aren't the cause? How can you know?! And the answer is... you don't know until you do. Right now we don't... it is just really, REALLY hard for some people to handle, or admit that.
I do not know that God is the cause of anything because God is completely unknowable, except for some of His Attributes and His Will for humans, that which is revealed through God’s Messenger. But God is ABOVE all His Attributes, meaning we cannot describe God because God transcends all human comprehension. How then could we ever KNOW what God is DOING at any time? So when Christians sometimes say they KNOW that God got them that job or that house or that spouse, I just chuckle. All they can do is believe and have faith that God was involved; they cannot KNOW.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
I already know spiritual practice and science are two very different way of seeing life.
What buddha would or would not tell me is not important, I do not follow his teaching, I cultivate the teaching of Li Hongzhi.

If you think what I speak of is religion, that is your interpretation, not mine :)
I speak only from my understanding of the teaching, and yes I get it wrong from time to time. I am a human being, not an enlighten being :)
"As the Master of the Falun Gong cultivation system, Li claimed to "purify the students' bodies" and "unblock their main and collateral channels" and in doing so "remove the root of their disease", if they were ill. He also reputedly planted a Falun or "law wheel" in the abdomen of each student, and other "energy mechanisms" in other parts of their bodies. Li also described how his "Law bodies" will protect each practitioner and how he "clear up the students' house and places of practice and then put a covering of safety'". In Li's Falun Gong teachings, he emphasizes that practitioners should abide by the moral principles of truth, compassion and forbearance, in their daily lives. According to New Zealand scholar Heather Kavan, these principles have been repeated by Falun Gong members to outsiders as a tactic for evading deeper inquiry. Li has instructed his followers to lie to outsiders about Falun Gong."

This is as best a glance at your teacher. I have been busy trying to do what is possible through contacting concerned citizens and our "representatives" in Congress, House and the Senate about our Orange Baffon "leader" about his latest decimation attempt of our wilderness systems. He has now approved a lease starting Dec 2021 of several million acres of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil and fracking. Something that no matter where you live in this world should bother you. People have fought succesfully for 50 years to keep this from happening. That disgusting man and his supporters in big oil have now attempted it again. I have hopes through action, to continue to keep it from happening but it requires time and effort. So I will look further into your master when I have time.

But from the little I have read about him, he doesn't come close to the wisdom of Buddha. I would like to know how you find him wiser than the buddha?

My thoughts about what spiritual is may be different than yours. This is a huge problem when discussing what spirituality consists of. There are no agreed upon concepts of it. In my own view, it need not contain any woo or anything outside of known nature. It is more of an atheist, humanists, naturally based view which appreciates and applies the wisdom Buddha. If I choose now and then to imagine magic or unknown answers to existence, I am free to do that. But I am also free to remain within the known physical systems without feeling pressured to know anything for certain.

I am certainly no expert either but it is a goal to self reflect, attain inner peace, live with compassion for all life without being judgemental towards myself or others. Love my family, help when I can and remain open minded to the unknown bUT certainly accept what is known. To me, this is being spiritual. But it could also fall into the humanist category. Definitions for spirituality are like definitions for gods. It's all in the eyes of the beholder. My description just doesn't include gods or unnecessary, man made stories.

And I have no idea why there is a line through my post........

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Some form of spirituality is considered to be one of eight factors that feed into overall wellness.

View attachment 42055
The VA uses this wheel. I can agree with some of their concepts and it can be a useful tool for many. They are trying their best to include a sort of religious, but not religious "spiritual" ideal for all veterans. It's not where I get my ideal of being spiritual which is from the teachings of buddha, but I did run into it in a group healing session at the VA.