• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is Rama and Lakshmana worshiped and not Bharata and Shatrughna also?

निताइ dasa

Nitai's servant's servant
Lord Narayan has three modes, that arise from his swarupa shakti. They are Sandhini, Samvit and Hladini. These three energies are generally worshiped whenever the Lord descends in an avatar. Samvit shakti is Krsna (or Rama) Himself. The Sandhini shakti is Balarama Lakshman (and from Him manifests the dhama, the Lord's clothes, weapons, flute etc) and Hladini shakti is Radharani or Lakshmi (the potency which gives spiritual bliss to the Lord). So that is why when Lord Rama descends (Samvit Shakti), He is worshiped alongside His Samvit Shakti (Lakshmanji) and Hladini Shakti (Sita Maa). Bharata and Shatrugana being avatars of the conch and shell of Lord Visnu are actually avatars of Sri Lakshman (Seshnaga) directly, so there is no need to worship them separately. Their worship is performed when one worships Lakshmana ji.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Brother Bharata and Shatrughna also are Vishnu. Who can find a greater example of brother's love than what Bharat had for Lord Rama. All the four were born after the queens ate from the same 'prasada', only the percentage differed. Bharata had exactly the same form and color as Lord Rama. Bharata's re-union with Lord Rama (Bharata Milapa) is the most popular episode of Ramayana. ;)

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
rama.jpg
Are they not born from Vishnu?

My answer is going to be boring and just a guess, but I think it might just come down to "screen time". Lakshman ji is a more visible participant in the events of the Ramayana whereas his other brothers make fewer appearances. I don't think there's any reason why you can't worship all four brothers (I have seen plenty of Ram Parivar pictures featuring all four brothers) but I think it's a visibility thing. Bharat ji had an incredibly difficult job to perform in his older brother's absence, the pain of his mother's betrayal and the separation from his brother who he saw as a teacher. Shatrughna ji needed to stay behind to keep Bharat ji sane and prevent him from hurting his mother or her maid servant out of anger. No person in Rama's story is accidental or unimportant =)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
As the story goes, King Dasharatha gave the 'payasam' saucer half to Queen Kaushalya and half to Queen Kaikeyi. They in turn gave half of their portions to Queen Sumitra, i.e., Queen Sumitra got to eat half the saucer. So, Lord Rama, brothers Bharata, Lakshman and Shatrughna were 25% Vishnu each (as far as I know). When we worship Lord Rama, we remember the brothers also.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Rama is first born to Kausalya, Bharata is born to Kaikeyi, and Sumitra gives birth to twins named Lakshman and Shatrughna. So I just wanted to mention that Lakshman and Shatrughna are twins. Three wives, leading to four births.

Now each of these Sons had Two more Sons. Each had two, Ram had two, Bharata had two, Lakshman had two, Shatrughna had two.

Now a Son of Shatrughna became King of Mathura Vrindavan and Braj greater by the other Son. Two Generations later. These Generations were of a longer life span than of today. Prior to Mathura, it was known as Madhupura and was ruled by a “Rakshasa King” called Lavanasura, who was a distant relative of Ravana. This very Lavanasura was killed by no other than Shatrughna Himself, the twin Brother of Lakshmana. And then a Son of Shatrughna became King of Mathura.

In this VERY Kingdom, was born Krishna, who came after Ram.

So the Twin of Lakshman was in essence, the founder of Mathura via His Son, and the other Son the Greater Braj. One Twin had an immediate place – with Ram. The other Twin had a distant place – to establish the birthplace of the next Avatar by the defeat of Lavanasura where His Son ruled, and then the King of Greater Braj by the Second Son.

What of the other Six Sons of the other Brother’s of Ram?

Each became Kings, Two to the West across the Indus, Two to the Center, Two to the South along the Ganga.

Each place played some role when later Krishna came. They “set the stage”.

Each Brother should be worshipped.

There is Another not mentioned in the Valmiki Ramayana.

An elder Sister of Ram. The Daughter of Dasharata and Kausalya who was given up to adoption to the Royal Family of Angadesh. This is not in the Ramayana. So you may not believe it. Anga, or Angadesh is in Bengal. Karna of the Mahabharata Ruled Greater Anga. She, the Elder Sister of Ram, set the stage in Bengal for later when Krishna would come. Her name was Shanta. You may not believe. She grew up in the Royal Family, and married a DemiGod Saint who had horns of a Deer. This is a long story, and goes back to the Ramayana and when Ram went for a golden deer. But you may not believe. But the Sengar Rajputs of Dynasty say it is. I do not know, to question them.

But maybe if you go to Sagar and Jabalpur related to these Rajputs, you might find a Murti or Painting to Shanta, the elder Sister of Ram. This area is far away from Bengal. How the descendants of Shanta and the Deer Horned One, these Rajputs, migrated from Bengal to Central India is probably a long story. But is most certainly is true.

So besides the Four Brothers – you should also worship the Sister.

kalyan

Aspiring Sri VaishNava
An elder Sister of Ram. The Daughter of Dasharata and Kausalya who was given up to adoption to the Royal Family of Angadesh. This is not in the Ramayana. So you may not believe it. Anga, or Angadesh is in Bengal. Karna of the Mahabharata Ruled Greater Anga. She, the Elder Sister of Ram, set the stage in Bengal for later when Krishna would come. Her name was Shanta. You may not believe. She grew up in the Royal Family, and married a DemiGod Saint who had horns of a Deer. This is a long story, and goes back to the Ramayana and when Ram went for a golden deer. But you may not believe. But the Sengar Rajputs of Dynasty say it is. I do not know, to question them.
Nice one for a bed time story perhaps ? Why do you have to vandalize the prAmanik scriptures ?
First thing you have to understand is
1. Vedam is the supreme authority, anything/anyone that goes against is INVALID and the person who does not treat vedam as authority is not a vedantin
2. Among Puranas, only 6 Puranas are authentic (6 sattwika puranas)
3. RamayaNam --Valmiki one is only authentic as it is Signed by Shree rAma to be true, the others are NOT valid!

You broke the 3rd rule...As for OP interesting question, my point of view although Shatrugna and Bharatha are as equal as LakshmaNa but the main difference is Only one remained with Shree Rama at all the times and that is Lakshmana for he is AdiSesha himself and he could not for one moment bear the separation of Shree Rama.....So as he is always with Sri Rama, he is worshiped along with Shree Rama, also Bharatha is also greatest bhAgavatha, he stayed far from Shree Rama and hence Lakshmana is worshiped with Sri Rama....Hope that helps

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
One cannot belittle Bharata. He was on deputation (taking care of Ayodhya and its people), otherwise he would have gladly accompanied Lord Rama. And what did he do? Never ate rich tood, never slept on a bed, for fourteen years, just like what he thought his elder brother must have been doing in the forest.

Last edited:

kalyan

Aspiring Sri VaishNava
One cannot belittle Bharata. He was on deputation (taking care of Ayodhya and its people), otherwise he would have gladly accompanied Lord Rama. And what did he do? Never ate rich tood, never slept on a bed, for lfourteen years, just like what he thought his elder brother must have been doing in the forest.
Yes he self inflicted so much for his separation that he used to bath in Sarayu which is like chilling cold at 2-3 am for entire period of time if am not wrong
Bharatha is a bhAgavatha but he somehow due to conditions stayed far from Shree Rama

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Bharata uvaca (Bharata said)

"यदि तु अवश्यम् वस्तव्यम् कर्तव्यम् च पितुर् वचः l
अहम् एव निवत्स्यामि चतुर्दश वने समाः ll" (2-111-26, Valmiki Ramayana)

Yadi tu avashyam vastavyam kartavyam ca piturvachah l
aham eva nivatsyāmi caturdasha vane samāh ll

"If it is absolutely essential that one of us should remain here and the command of our father be executed, then it is I who will reside in the forest for fourteen years."
http://www.valmikiramayan.net/utf8/ayodhya/sarga111/ayodhya_111_frame.htm

But Lord Rama did not agree. What else could Bharata do?

Last edited:

kalyan

Aspiring Sri VaishNava
Bhatata uvaca (Bharata said)

"यदि तु अवश्यम् वस्तव्यम् कर्तव्यम् च पितुर् वचः l
अहम् एव निवत्स्यामि चतुर्दश वने समाः ll" (2-111-26, Valmiki Ramayana)

Yadi tu avashyam vastavyam kartavyam ca piturvachah l
aham eva nivatsyāmi caturdasha vane samāh ll

"If it is absolutely essential that one of us should remain here and the command of our father be executed, then it is I who will reside in the forest for fourteen years."
http://www.valmikiramayan.net/utf8/ayodhya/sarga111/ayodhya_111_frame.htm

But Lord Rama did not agree. What else could Bharata do?
I understand but something prevented bharatha from doing rAmA seva directly but LakshmaNa always stayed with rAma......Hence LakshmaNa is worshiped with rAma

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Nice one for a bed time story perhaps ? Why do you have to vandalize the prAmanik scriptures ?
First thing you have to understand is
1. Vedam is the supreme authority, anything/anyone that goes against is INVALID and the person who does not treat vedam as authority is not a vedantin
2. Among Puranas, only 6 Puranas are authentic (6 sattwika puranas)
3. RamayaNam --Valmiki one is only authentic as it is Signed by Shree rAma to be true, the others are NOT valid!

You broke the 3rd rule...As for OP interesting question, my point of view although Shatrugna and Bharatha are as equal as LakshmaNa but the main difference is Only one remained with Shree Rama at all the times and that is Lakshmana for he is AdiSesha himself and he could not for one moment bear the separation of Shree Rama.....So as he is always with Sri Rama, he is worshiped along with Shree Rama, also Bharatha is also greatest bhAgavatha, he stayed far from Shree Rama and hence Lakshmana is worshiped with Sri Rama....Hope that helps

Ramayana is not a book. It is India. All across India there are tirthas that live as doorways to the Rama Leela with every step of the Holy Brothers, the Monkey Armies, and all the Gods and every lowly one who participated. Sita Ram lives in the heart of Hanuman, that is also the Ramayana. The Name Ram is also Ramayana. Vedatin is to see Ram in all these tirthas and in the bhajans of His devotees.

Hanuman said, "As long as there is one person on Bhumi Mother Earth who tells of the Story of Ram, then I will stay here". That is Ramayana. To tell another of Ram. And so, as long as there is just one, then Hanuman will not dance as Nataraj the dance that begins once again after ending what was. But that is nothing to fear. Because when it all is again, the Ramayana will happen again.

kalyan

Aspiring Sri VaishNava
Ramayana is not a book. It is India. All across India there are tirthas that live as doorways to the Rama Leela with every step of the Holy Brothers, the Monkey Armies, and all the Gods and every lowly one who participated. Sita Ram lives in the heart of Hanuman, that is also the Ramayana. The Name Ram is also Ramayana. Vedatin is to see Ram in all these tirthas and in the bhajans of His devotees.

Hanuman said, "As long as there is one person on Bhumi Mother Earth who tells of the Story of Ram, then I will stay here". That is Ramayana. To tell another of Ram. And so, as long as there is just one, then Hanuman will not dance as Nataraj the dance that begins once again after ending what was. But that is nothing to fear. Because when it all is again, the Ramayana will happen again.
I don't think you understood my point. I was quoting your misinformation about Shree rAma having a sister