• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is our freakout mode skewed? Why does God make us this way?

ecco

Veteran Member
Indeed so.
Maybe everyone should abandon their religions and give their love & respect to nature and the world we live in, rather than worshiping a god that 'is beyond our understanding'.
Kinda like what John Lennon wrote and sang.

ecco

Veteran Member
It is also skewed by what you put your hope and trust in. Hoping in God and take refuge in him brings peace.

During the black plague, people who took refuge in god died at the same rate as people who didn't.

During the Corona virus, people who take refuge in gods and attend services are more likely to get sick and die than people who follow science and stay away from groups of people. I take peace from that.

If faith and trust in God keeps you safe, why are churches closed down?

ecco

Veteran Member
While we're on topic of unknowns, the fact that the media rarely mentions any of the sufferers by name effectively feeds into a McCarthy era scare. If you don't remember history, this was where because nobody knew who was a communist in the US at that time, everyone suspected everyone of being one.

No. Everyone did not suspect everyone of being a Communist. The Right Wing Nut Jobs accused people they didn't like of being Communists.

Likewise, my mother found our that two people in my area might have it. No names are given, so she suspects everyone from the mailman to her neighbors to someone she passes on the street. Nice job guys, scaring an old woman.

I guess you are the one who doesn't remember history. McCarthy named names whether it was true or not.

Maybe you would want big red X's painted on the homes of infected people. Then you could cast the first stone.

Why is your mom walking the streets and exposing herself?

Shad

Veteran Member
I think it is because, like cars and sugar, it is simply a fact of life that we all have always had with us as long as we can remember. It is not new and foreign.

I agree but would add we as average people know about the flu. We do not know much about COVID.

Regarding pleasurable and/or addictive substances those override our conscious mind as those chemicals bond with the primitives parts of our mind. Fear is of the moment thus warnings of death in the distance future do not trigger a fear based on response.

For some reason we have evolved this way. IMHO God is responsible for our evolution. My question is ... WHY? What purpose does this irrational tendency serve?????

Fear can keep us alive.

ecco

Veteran Member
Old friendships are crushed by paranoia, even in areas where there had been no known cases.

Why would friendships be crushed by paranoia? If people cannot maintain a friendship during this crises, then they probably weren't worthy friends to begin with,

ecco

Veteran Member
We need to stop with this. We need perspective. So please, PLEASE read this article.

Coronavirus Hysteria: The Need for Perspective

You get your information from an article on a Conservative website: townhall.com written by:
Jack Kerwick

Biography
jackkerwick.JPG

Jack Kerwick received his doctoral degree in philosophy from Temple University. His area of specialization is ethics and political philosophy. He is a professor of philosophy at several colleges and universities in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Jack blogs at Beliefnet.com: At the Intersection of Faith & Culture.​

I get mine from people like Dr. Anthony Fauci:
Anthony Stephen Fauci ( /ˈfaʊtʃi/; born December 24, 1940) is an American physician and immunologist who has served as the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) since 1984.
As a physician with the National Institutes of Health (NIH) of the United States, he has served public health in various capacities for over fifty years. He has made contributions to HIV/AIDS research and other immunodeficiencies, both as a scientist and as the head of the NIAID at the NIH. The New York Times called Fauci "the nation's leading expert on infectious diseases".[1]

ecco

Veteran Member
So nations face complete bankruptcy or mass deaths like the Spanish flu.
China has neither.

China took decisive action quickly. With a population of over 1,000,000,000, China ended up having fewer deaths than Italy or Spain.

Italy's coronavirus death toll is more than double that of China's — this might be why

• As of Friday morning, there had been 8,215 deaths in Italy compared to 3,291 in China, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.
  • Spain’s death toll has also risen sharply in recent days and it is currently at at least 4,365.

It has always struck me as odd the sorts of things we freak out over. For example, people worry about planes crashing, but drive in cars daily, and the odds of cars crashing and causing severe bodily damage and even death are so much higher. The cancer caused by smoking is so worrisome that smoking in most public places is outlawed, yet we routinely eat sugar, the main cause of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, etc., which result in more deaths than smoking (in fact heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US).

The current freak out is the coronavirus. I'm not saying it isn't a real threat or that we should take strict measures to control the pandemic.

But what concerns me is that no one freaks out over the flu. In the US this year so far (flu season ends in May) we have had 210,000 to 370,000 flu sufferers hospitalized (who knows how many have stayed home with the flu?). Deaths so far have been between somewhere around 20,000 and growing. It was only two years ago that in the 2017-2018 season, we had 810,000 hospitalizations and 61,000 deaths due to the virus.

So where is all the virus maintenance for the flu? Where is all the media hype? I think it is because, like cars and sugar, it is simply a fact of life that we all have always had with us as long as we can remember. It is not new and foreign.

For some reason we have evolved this way. IMHO God is responsible for our evolution. My question is ... WHY? What purpose does this irrational tendency serve?????

Since humans are a self-modifying species more so than others, I'd be hesitant to blame God alone for its frustrations. The "why" will be a deep answer revealed through science only with the passage of time, because we're still wired in a Pavlovian way without being dogs. Stimulus (bell) and response (salivation) are predictable, but are keenly rearranged under duress to produce oddities of behavior, irrational fears included.

China took decisive action quickly.

If China had taken decisive action quickly, we wouldn't have this problem. Like most countries, it took action after the horse had bolted.

It wasn't that long ago they were criticising countries who were stopping travel from China.