• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Is Only Earth Carrying Life?

Audie

Veteran Member
According to that logic, nothing is random. If I flip a coin, I don't get tails or heads randomly, since the coin flip follows the laws of gravity. Same if I roll a dice. If I shuffle a deck and draw ten "random" cards, that process is not really random because the shuffling follows the laws of physics and there are limited ways those cards can be arranged, etc. You seem to be confused regarding the definition of random. Random doesn't mean it follows no laws.

Not a problem. An advanced race of aliens would probably be near immortal. Given the exponential rate of technology advance, some futurist predict humanity will have anti-aging treatment and would probably solve death by 2050.

I hope you will turn you attention re "random' toward
some of our creationist friends who so misuse the term.

As in "so a bunch of random chemicals randomly..."

ecco

Veteran Member
Then please explain. How is abiogenesis (simple organic chemicals supposedly assemblying themselves into an much more complex living form of life) NOT random?
Two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom regularly combine to form a molecule of water. The way they combine is very specific. Would you call that random?

ecco

Veteran Member
The fact that we don't see life in other planets is evidence AGAINST abiogenesis.
The fact that we don't see life on other planets is evidence that our technology is not yet at the stage where we can detect life on other planets.
Google: when was first exoplanet discovered
... the first scientific detection of an exoplanet began in 1988. Shortly afterwards, the first confirmed detection came in 1992, with the discovery of several terrestrial-mass planets orbiting the pulsar PSR B1257+12.​

Astrophile

The fact that we don't see life on other planets is evidence that our technology is not yet at the stage where we can detect life on other planets.
Google: when was first exoplanet discovered
... the first scientific detection of an exoplanet began in 1988. Shortly afterwards, the first confirmed detection came in 1992, with the discovery of several terrestrial-mass planets orbiting the pulsar PSR B1257+12.​

For what it is worth, it is less than 90 years since the discovery of Pluto, and less than 20 years since the discovery of Eris, in our own planetary system.

Walterbl

Two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom regularly combine to form a molecule of water. The way they combine is very specific. Would you call that random?

No because it is almost they only way they can combine. In addition to the far less common hydrogen peroxide.

Aminoacids on the other hand, can combine into millions of possible theoretical different ways, only a minuscule fraction of which is suitable for life. Life only uses so called left-hand aminoacids, for example, while natural processes produces both right hand and left hand aminoacids.

ecco

Veteran Member
ecco
Two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom regularly combine to form a molecule of water. The way they combine is very specific. Would you call that random?​

No because it is almost they only way they can combine. In addition to the far less common hydrogen peroxide.
Hydrogen peroxide is not two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom.
Aminoacids on the other hand, can combine into millions of possible theoretical different ways,

What is your source for that?

ecco

Veteran Member
ecco

Aminoacids on the other hand, can combine into millions of possible theoretical different ways, only a minuscule fraction of which is suitable for life. Life only uses so called left-hand aminoacids, for example, while natural processes produces both right hand and left hand aminoacids.
I asked for your source for: Aminoacids... can combine into millions of possible theoretical different ways

You replied with the link...
Thanks for posting that.

Now, on the the next part. What were you implying when your stated: "only a minuscule fraction of which is suitable for life"?

Luis Marco

Why would God only put life on one of the planets at least in our solar system? Most worlds are undoubtedly just lumps or rock, ice and gas. Why would God not create other species and peoples for those? It seems a terribly wasted opportunity. Even if we find some life on more distant stars, it is clear that the bulk of the universe is devoid of life. Without God that is easy to grasp why, but with a God, it would seem that creation experimentation would be carried out elsewhere.
URANTIA, which is not a spiritual channeling, therefore not coming from the Devil, has a chapter on the inhabited planets, of which there are some one trillion of them:
Paper:section.paragraph
0:0.5
Your world, Urantia, is one of many similar inhabited planets which comprise the local universe of Nebadon. This universe, together with similar creations, makes up the superuniverse of Orvonton, from whose capital, Uversa, our commission hails. Orvonton is one of the seven evolutionary superuniverses of time and space which circle the never-beginning, never-ending creation of divine perfection—the central universe of Havona. At the heart of this eternal and central universe is the stationary Isle of Paradise, the geographic center of infinity and the dwelling place of the eternal God.

Specifically:

Last edited:

Milton Platt

No, not necessarily. We have no idea how commonly life occurs in the universe. It could be a very rare event. Also, as I said before, we have only observed a miniscule portion of our own galaxy, let alone the hundreds of billions of other galaxies in the universe. So, it's quite possible that there is no other life within several thousand light years of earth, yet there are still trillions of planets harboring life in the universe.

Why would a god create a planet that most of it is inhabitable for humans?
Seas, deserts, poles...not a very good design.

And fill it with disease organisms and parasites.........

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
Why would God only put life on one of the planets at least in our solar system? Most worlds are undoubtedly just lumps or rock, ice and gas. Why would God not create other species and peoples for those? It seems a terribly wasted opportunity. Even if we find some life on more distant stars, it is clear that the bulk of the universe is devoid of life. Without God that is easy to grasp why, but with a God, it would seem that creation experimentation would be carried out elsewhere.
These kinds of arguments about God demonstrate the folly of using God to explain anything about the material world, the universe, I call it the physical realm. Whether God exists or not, and his interactions can only be known through sound philosophy, and nothing in philosophy can be proven.

But note: the scientific method is based on philosophy and it has had substantial success. So philosophy can be useful.

Audie

Veteran Member
These kinds of arguments about God demonstrate the folly of using God to explain anything about the material world, the universe, I call it the physical realm. Whether God exists or not, and his interactions can only be known through sound philosophy, and nothing in philosophy can be proven.

But note: the scientific method is based on philosophy and it has had substantial success. So philosophy can be useful.

A great British entomologist who had classified hundreds of species of beetles, perhaps the most widely varying form of life on Earth. Late in his career, he spoke to a group of churchgoers about his work. Feeling metaphysical, they asked him to reflect on what science had taught him about the mind of God.

“I’ve deduced,” he replied, “that God is inordinately fond of beetles.“

james dixon

Premium Member
"life" has been found it's just not the kind of life we were expecting to find--
LIFE1.png
LIFE4.jpg
LIFE3.png

BTW: these are not color enhanced photos, the color you see "is" green

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
There are a gazillion other class M planets in the universe and we haven't visited any of them. So how would we know if they had life or not? Confining the search to just our solar system is really primary school science.

Milton Platt

I have no idea how you could know whether life exists or not on the billions of other planets just in our galaxy alone.