• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Is Only Earth Carrying Life?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
If created for a purpose though why not use much more of it to that end? It's like all the excess packaging on candy bars. So much wasted opportunity. Like owning a hundred room mansion but never using 99 of the rooms.

To my understanding, God never does anything for no good reason.

Isaiah 45:18.... "This is what Jehovah has said, the Creator of the heavens, He the true God, the Former of the earth and the Maker of it, He the One who firmly established it, who did not create it simply for nothing, who formed it even to be inhabited".

So finding out why God put such abundant life here on this planet, when all the others have proven to be lifeless is a good start.

The Creator exists outside of time, being immortal and eternal means that he has always existed, but for unknown eons of time, he was not a Creator. We know this because the universe has not always existed.

In his opening statement in Genesis we have a simple truth...."In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth".

The "beginning" here, was the creation of the material universe, brought forth in one enormous burst of energy, unimaginable and mind boggling from the perspective of our tiny planet, in one section of just one of billions of galaxies.....but we are not left in the dark entirely....we have a tantalizingly simple explanation to give us some clues.

Genesis is the explanation, using simple language for an unscientific audience, it tells us how God prepared this formless and desolate planet to eventually host an abundance of life. It wasn't something that happened in a week, but creation took place carefully and methodically over probably millions of earth years.

As his final act, God 'created man in his image and likeness'....but why? These were to represent him as caretakers. Having his qualities and attributes would make humans an excellent choice to take care of the rest. But these had some lessons to learn.

What is to say, that we might be just the beginning of planetary life? That millions of earth years are meaningless to an eternal being? What if all the issues that have cropped up here will form the blueprints for future habitation on other planets? What if the 'mansion's' other 99 rooms are just waiting for refurbishment and for the guests to arrive?

Lessons are learned when plans are implemented and I'm sure that God had many things to teach us....if we had only bothered to listen and obey him. We needed to learn how to drive free will, and how to take care of this planet and its inhabitants first. We still haven't proven trustworthy in this role as a whole, so God must be selective.

All indications are that God will select citizens from among mankind to continue what he began in Eden.
These will be the ones who carry out what the first humans failed to do....obey their Creator's commands.

If we don't get things sorted here first, then what is the point of taking our troubles somewhere else?

God may be arrogant and selfish enough to treat us as his to do with as he wishes, and we would be powerless to stop him just crushing us, but the point of this kind of discussion is to try to crack answers and find things out.

It always saddens me when people say these kinds of things about God. I do not see him in any way arrogant or selfish....quite the opposite in fact. His generosity to our first parents gave them an awesome start.....but they misused their free will and started a chain reaction of others bent on doing the same. If he was arrogant and selfish, he would have wiped us all off the face of this earth and not bothered to make things better. Instead he has made this life a learning curve so that the lessons learned can be carried over into his future plans. If we have made all the mistakes (and God even provided the means for us to be forgiven) and we have experienced the consequences of bad choices, then we will not be in a hurry to repeat them, nor will God allow them to spoil the future for others. Precedents are set that will benefit all of God's creation for the rest of eternity.

Our first parents were not defective in any way, but having free will meant that there were necessary boundaries within which free will could be exercised. Unbridled free will results in what we see on earth today under the rule of sinful and corrupt humans. What a mess!!!!

I see the future as very bright, with God having sorted out the "sheep from the goats" and starting a new world with only those who can use their free will appropriately. (2 Peter 3:13) Righteous people are humble and compliant, not seeking their own will first.

It means never imposing our will on others and seeking always to do the will of God.....it's how we are designed. It's also how we are judged. (Matthew 7:21-23)

That is how I see the Bible's message.

atanu

Premium Member
Why would God only put life on one of the planets at least in our solar system? Most worlds are undoubtedly just lumps or rock, ice and gas. Why would God not create other species and peoples for those? It seems a terribly wasted opportunity. Even if we find some life on more distant stars, it is clear that the bulk of the universe is devoid of life. Without God that is easy to grasp why, but with a God, it would seem that creation experimentation would be carried out elsewhere.

As I understand, Life-Awareness is not in Earth, but the Universe is in Life-Awareness.

Etritonakin

Parts of the heavens are indeed there for us humans to transform into biospheres sustaining human life. Mars is likely the first place beyond Earth in our solar system to get a man-made biosphere that is an appreciable fraction in size comparable to Earth's biosphere. :)

The first step towards the terraforming of Mars is the deployment of a magnetic shield that protects Mars against the solar wind stripping of its atmosphere. This magnetic shielding would subsequently allow the planet's atmosphere to reacquire its former density that'd be high enough to allow for sustainable surface liquid water.

Reference: https://phys.org/news/2017-03-nasa-magnetic-shield-mars-atmosphere.html

1-nasaproposes.jpg
Interesting -but not sure if you knew I meant that according to scripture, our new bodies (the way we interface and travel) will allow for much greater things to be done by us without external tools, etc.

Pudding

Why would God only put life on one of the planets at least in our solar system? Most worlds are undoubtedly just lumps or rock, ice and gas. Why would God not create other species and peoples for those? It seems a terribly wasted opportunity. Even if we find some life on more distant stars, it is clear that the bulk of the universe is devoid of life. Without God that is easy to grasp why, but with a God, it would seem that creation experimentation would be carried out elsewhere.
Let's see what happening at earth:
- people polutes earth.
- cruelty of slavery, genocide, war, racism, mysogyny, torturing non-human animal...etc.
- a lot of different versions of self-appointed true religions who compete with each other and simultaneously wish to dominate the earth.

If god exists, why don't he put peoples on other planets in our solar system too, like the mess at earth is not enough and have to duplicate the mess all over the universe.

Last edited:

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Interesting -but not sure if you knew I meant that according to scripture, our new bodies (the way we interface and travel) will allow for much greater things to be done by us without external tools, etc.

I could sure use a new body sooner rather than later, this aged body of mine is starting to ache most of the time. Also, it'd be nice not to worry about where to store all my tools. :cool:

Etritonakin

I could sure use a new body sooner rather than later, this aged body of mine is starting to ache most of the time. Also, it'd be nice not to worry about where to store all my tools. :cool:
The new bodies will have increased power and ability "by the working thereof", as it says.
Humans have historically thought about what could be accomplished as humans, but even humans are beginning to self-evolve -to re-design their bodies and DNA. Evolution or self-evolution to that level, however, would be a slow, messy and potentially horrible process.
Death and resurrection is a much better idea -and can include those already dead.

I saw a guy on a show whose brain developed differently than most. The part that processed information from the eye (which does things extremely quickly and efficiently) got connected to the math-doing part -and he was essentially a human computer/calculator -so a different design could allow for pretty much anything.

Etritonakin

Let's see what happening at earth:
- people polutes earth.
- cruelty of slavery, genocide, war, racism, mysogyny, torturing non-human animal...etc.
- a lot of different versions of self-appointed true religions who compete with each other and simultaneously wish to dominate the earth.

If god exists, why don't he put peoples on other planets in our solar system too, like the mess at earth is not enough and have to duplicate the mess all over the universe.
That is actually why we are bound to the earth and vacinity -until WE learn to do well.
As God said back in Eden.... YOU must master it.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The question remains as to why any existing God would make so many lifeless worlds
Once upon a time there we humans scattered throughout worlds everywhere in the universe. But like us, they set about destroying themselves and now they're all gone. I think the real question, is why did God create humans as self-destructive idiots who value money more than life itself?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Personally, I find any claims on that field very tentative. Our ability to gauge whether there is life in other planets is severely limited, after all.

And then there is the not insignificant matter of making sense of what a real God would want. In this case we are restricting ourselves to a specific variety of Creator God, but that is not a huge help.

Milton Platt

How were you able to examine all the probable trillions of planets across the known universe to establish that the earth is the only place life exists?

Milton Platt

You are starting with an unfounded assumption.....the existence of your god.

Rational Agnostic

The sheer number of stars and planets likely to be around those stars makes it highly probable that abiogenesis would make life elsewhere; if it made it here.

No, not necessarily. We have no idea how commonly life occurs in the universe. It could be a very rare event. Also, as I said before, we have only observed a miniscule portion of our own galaxy, let alone the hundreds of billions of other galaxies in the universe. So, it's quite possible that there is no other life within several thousand light years of earth, yet there are still trillions of planets harboring life in the universe.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Because we’re the first. At least, with human life.
How do you know? Perhaps a planet in some far distant galaxy is also now dealing with the faults and foibles of its humans. Or do you take the red balloon position; that only one company can make red balloons? That any other company making red balloons isn't make true red balloons. That NO other company could ever make true red balloons.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
How do you know? Perhaps a planet in some far distant galaxy is also now dealing with the faults and foibles of its humans. Or do you take the red balloon position; that only one company can make red balloons? That any other company making red balloons isn't make true red balloons. That NO other company could ever make true red balloons.

You know me, I’m going strictly by the Bible. And reasoning on the issues that were raised in Genesis 3. The issue of sovereignty, once it’s been answered and the results firmly established, will never need to come up again. Human rulership opposed to Jehovah, challenging His sovereignty, will have been settled, revealed to be completely inept.

It has already, in my book. (There’s such a vast array of problems that mankind lacks ability to solve. Including sickness and death. Not to mention, many due to selfishness and pride,)

arthurchappell

writer, poet, historian,
Why? It may be that life arises from natural processes, but does so very rarely, and only when certain conditions are met. Also, we have only observed an extremely tiny portion of our own galaxy, let alone the whole universe. We have no idea how common life is.

true there could be other quadrants of the galaxy teeming with life. That life may be scarse isn't surprising without a God to create it, as atheists think, but for religionists it does posit the question of why God would leave so ,any worlds devoid of life

nPeace

Veteran Member
I know of a few people that built bungalows - huge bungalows. Some were to be later rented out, others were for other relatives and future generations, others were for entertainment and recreation purposes.
However. unless we asked the person the reason, one could easily come to the conclusion. "What an idiot! Why waste money building such massive constructions, when it serves no purpose?"

God didn't say why he made this massive universe, with only one inhabited world... or did he?
Psalm 19:1The heavens are declaring the glory of God; The skies above proclaim the work of his hands.
Romans 1:20 For his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable.
Isaiah 40:26 “Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who brings out their army by number; He calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power, Not one of them is missing.
Revelation 4:11 “You are worthy, Jehovah our God, to receive the glory and the honor and the power, because you created all things, and because of your will they came into existence and were created.

I believe there is wisdom in the galaxies, and stars. All we have to do is look.
You said:
Without God that is easy to grasp why
Do you mind explaining why?

Orias

Left Hand Path

Well I think he did create others, but I don't think most people are as familiar with what we live on as they think...:)

Altfish

Veteran Member
Why would a god create a planet that most of it is inhabitable for humans?
Seas, deserts, poles...not a very good design.