• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is one sin "worse" than another?

Lycan

Preternatural
I was wondering, what makes one sin worse than another? I mean, doesn't the bible say all are sinners? Why is say homosexuality any worse than adultery? Why is one condoned and the other used to justify hate and segregation?

Scott1

Roman Catholics describe this in the difference between mortal sin and venial sin:

To choose deliberately - that is, both knowing it and willing it - something gravely contrary to the divine law and to the ultimate end of man is to commit a mortal sin. This destroys in us the charity without which eternal beatitude is impossible. Unrepented, it brings eternal death.

Venial sin constitutes a moral disorder that is reparable by charity, which it allows to subsist in us.

http://www.catholic.com/library/mortal_sin.asp

Ronald

God decreed the death penalty for some sin, but not all. There are sins unto death and some that do not. Adultry is a sin unto death, don't be decieved. Sin is transgression of the law. Abide in the law and don't worry.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
i should also point out that in Judaism no mitzvot is more or less important than another whether it is a positive (stuff you should do) or a negative (stuff you shouldn't do)
http://www.jewfaq.org/10.htm
so to say that one is more important than another or more serious than another is, from a traditionally jewish standpoint, not the case...

Stormygale

All sins are created equal in the eyes of God. Somewhere in the 'text' it expresses that. Jewscout had it right...personal objectives and opinion. The word says that he that looketh upon a woman in lust, has already committed sin in his heart. So go on. Go and sleep around with everyone...yea....sounds crazy huh? I don't understand that part either.

Ronald

1Jo 5:16 If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that.

1Jo 5:17 All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.(RSV)
1Jo 5:16 If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that.

1Jo 5:17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death.(NKJV)

Riven

There is only one 'sin' that has ever been committed: denial of your true Self. Everything else is just part of the illusion that is a direct result the one sin.

Stormygale

Another ploy by many religions is to strike fear into the congregation. DEATH in the bible is not actually referring to death in the body, but, death in the spirit. A spiritual death in the end is the downfall of the body. That is why the Word tells us that 'where there is little known, there is little required'. Otherwise, everyone in the world would be dead and lying six feet under. Many church pastors use this term 'death' to press their followers into submission. That is abuse of power. I know what I am talking about. I lived through it for many, many years.

Linus

I can't see why one sin would be any worse than an other. I can see the difference between a conscous choice and a sin resulting from ignorance of the law. But I do not believe that any sin is, in God's eyes, different from any other. IT all separates you from His holiness. Pretty serious no matter what the crime. THe good news is that we can have redemption from them...

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
The same reason crimes are worse than another. Killing a man is far morre sever than taking his wallet.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Renaldo,

How would you differentiate between the following scenarios, to decide which is the worst sin - or indeed if there is any difference in the severy of the sin.

1)Rich boy steals wallet from poor man
2)poor man steal;s wallet from rich boy
3)Down and out mother of four steals a wallet to feed her children that day........ ?:)

Melody

Some people read the following verse and interpret it to mean that all sins are equal. I used to believe that as well.

For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.
James 2:20-21

I think it just means that in God's eyes....a sinner is a sinner and it doesn't matter whether it's theft or murder. However, I don't think it means that all sins are equal since the bible clearly shows how God punishes different sins with different weights of severity.

Are you asking why one sin is worse than another (which answer seems pretty obvious just by comparing murder and lying).....or are you asking why christians seem to weight one sin (i.e. homosexuality) more than another (i.e. lying)? If the latter, probably because by pointing the finger at someone else who is committing a greater sin (in their eyes), they can look at themselves and think they're not as bad as the other guy because their sin isn't as bad.

Riven

Anybody ever read Mere Christianity, by C.S. Lewis? In it, he writes, "Think once again of a piano. It has not got two kinds of notes on it, the 'right' notes and the 'wrong' ones. Every single note is right at one time, and wrong at another."

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
Michel,

In this instance, the saying "Is it wrong for a starving man to steal a
loaf of bread" comes to mind.

Seeing as you have put it the way you did, I will try to answer you.

1)Rich boy steals wallet from poor man - CRIME
2)poor man steals wallet from rich boy - CRIME
3)Down and out mother of four steals a wallet to feed her
children that day...CRIME

My answers to this are because

1)self explanatory

2)Why steal? Is there not welfare to help the needy? Is there not places that
"down and out" mothers can get assistance? My mother works for these services,
and delivers food to many of these "mothers". Salvation Army perhaps?

3)See above.

2)and 3) are likely to bring the "stealer" down even more.

This is just MY answers, debate them all you wish.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Renaldo said:
Michel,

In this instance, the saying "Is it wrong for a starving man to steal a
loaf of bread" comes to mind.

Seeing as you have put it the way you did, I will try to answer you.

1)Rich boy steals wallet from poor man - CRIME
2)poor man steals wallet from rich boy - CRIME
3)Down and out mother of four steals a wallet to feed her
children that day...CRIME

My answers to this are because

1)self explanatory

2)Why steal? Is there not welfare to help the needy? Is there not places that
"down and out" mothers can get assistance? My mother works for these services,
and delivers food to many of these "mothers". Salvation Army perhaps?

3)See above.

This is just MY answers, debate them all you wish.
I agree with you actually.;)