• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is one religion any better than any other?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
This thread did not come even close to what I was trying to achieve. And it if my fault. What I wanted to explore is why one person chooses say Jainism to be their religion. What is the first causes of their choosing. I'm interested in the idea of why people pick one religion over another. It's not that I wanted to argue about which religion was "better". I wanted to identify why someone picks one dogma over another. But it's my fault for framing it as "better" which was my attempt at trying to make the conversation more fun.
I have not read through the entire thread so I do not know what answers you got, but I am surprised that nobody explained why they picked their religion over others. I found your post in passing through and decided to respond since I have a very simple answer.

I chose the Baha’i Faith because it teaches that there is only one God and only one religion of God, which has been revealed successively throughout history by various Messengers of God, like various chapters all belonging to one Book of God. This Book has no final chapter, it is never-ending.

There is no Absolute Truth, only relative Truth, because God’s Truth is revealed relative to the capacity of humanity to understand it at the time of revelation. More Truth will continue to be revealed by God throughout all eternity.

How much simpler can one get?

I big draw for me was that nobody has to be wrong in order for my religion to be right. And more importantly, nobody is left behind, as in Christianity and other religions who believe their religion is the only true religion. I also like the fact that Baha’u’llah wrote that we all have to seek truth individually. Both those concepts are encapsulated in this short passage:“This is the changeless Faith of God, eternal in the past, eternal in the future. Let him that seeketh, attain it; and as to him that hath refused to seek it—verily, God is Self-Sufficient, above any need of His creatures.” Gleanings, p. 136

I think everyone who comes to these forums is searching for the truth about God. My journey will continue because Truth is everywhere, not just in the scriptures of my religion. All religious scriptures contain God’s Truth and people with no religion also have truths they have discovered that I can learn from.