• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is one religion any better than any other?

dfnj

I believe you concept of God is inadequate. My God is spirit.

The word God has multiple meanings. If I hold an apple in my hands and say "apple", we both experience apple. Nobody denies the existence of apples. With God, however, where does God exist? For you, God is "spirit". What does that mean is not as important as both of us use the word God in sentences all the time. The way the word God is used in sentences define what the word God means. Unlike apples, I cannot walk over to God and shake Her hand. For us both, God only exists in our words and language.

Unfortunately for theists, since there is absolute no shared experiences as evidence for God's existences, God only exists in our imagination, words, and language. To believe in a male anthropomorphic Abrahamic type God requires faith. That is what I meant by the "concept of God".

dfnj

No, it would most likely be Jainism

This thread did not come even close to what I was trying to achieve. And it if my fault. What I wanted to explore is why one person chooses say Jainism to be their religion. What is the first causes of their choosing. I'm interested in the idea of why people pick one religion over another. It's not that I wanted to argue about which religion was "better". I wanted to identify why someone picks one dogma over another. But it's my fault for framing it as "better" which was my attempt at trying to make the conversation more fun.

dfnj

I find in the Bible, Bible speak, a kingdom is a government such as mentioned at Daniel 2:44
I find in the Bible Jesus will be king of God's kingdom or government for a thousand years.
So, just as the kingdom of England, and the kingdom of Jordan are connected to government, so is God's kingdom.

So an axiom to your dogma would be a God as Lord having an authoritarian type government similar to Medieval England during the time when King James wrote his book, "The True Law of Free Monarchies". In his book, King James wrote about the divine right of kings. So for you, the idea of authority speaking for God is an okay practice.

Also, another interesting axiom to your dogma is not only is Jesus still alive, but Jesus will rule over the kingdom. It is a axiom of your dogma that Jesus is interested in ruling.

Also, the word "kingdom" implies boundaries of the realm. Every kingdom has boundaries. What would be the boundaries of the kingdom Jesus would be ruling? I would assume you probably would thing Jesus would rule over everything since Jesus is God is another premise of your dogma.

Another idea of the word "king" is passing judgment. Kings take care of the realm. Kings enforce laws and maintain order. Under the Kingdom of Jesus, what king duties would Jesus being doing according to your dogma?

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
We choose, or reject, what we know, so the basis of our individual religious belief stems from our childhood environment shaped by our life experiences.

Take a look at Paul . . . born and educated Jewish Pharisee . . . secondary education in Roman culture . . . lived in and around Hellenists . . . worked closely with Jewish Sadducees to control Zealots . . . introduced to the teachings of Jesus, an Essene, and influenced by his experiences in all of the above, went on to develop the foundation of today’s Christianity.

We may not live in the extremes of Paul’s life, but we still develop our own combination of beliefs based on what we’re given, what we’re introduced to, and what we choose to accept or reject, whole or in part, along the way.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Also, the word "kingdom" implies boundaries of the realm. Every kingdom has boundaries. What would be the boundaries of the kingdom Jesus would be ruling? I would assume you probably would thing Jesus would rule over everything since Jesus is God is another premise of your dogma.
Another idea of the word "king" is passing judgment. Kings take care of the realm. Kings enforce laws and maintain order. Under the Kingdom of Jesus, what king duties would Jesus being doing according to your dogma?

No, Jesus is Not his own God. Even the heavenly Jesus still thinks he has a God over him - Revelation 3:12.

In Scripture, I find Jesus is both King and High Priest of God's kingdom government for a thousand years.
At the end of Jesus' millennium-long duty reign over Earth, then Jesus hands back God's kingdom (Daniel 2:44) to his God according to 1 Corinthians 15:24-26.

Jesus does Not govern alone according to Revelation 20:6; Revelation 5:9-10; Revelation 2:10.
Under Christ there will be those serving under him as kings and priests.
As kings they will be responsible for taking care of governmental duties for people living on Earth.
As priests they will take care of spiritual responsibilities towards people of Earth.

The boundary or border of Jesus' reign over Earth is found at Psalms 72:8. Jesus will be doing the work found at Psalms 72:12-14.
Jesus will have subjects or citizens from one end of the Earth to the other end.
So, for one-thousand years, Jesus' ruling or governing boundary is all of planet Earth.

The Golden Rule basically is to love others as one would love oneself.
Jesus' NEW commandment of John 13:34-35 is the Law to maintain order.
Jesus' subjects will have the same self-sacrificing love for others as he has.
In other words, Jesus ' kingly or royal law ' means to now love others 'more' than self.
Mankind will Not learn war ( be taught war ) any more as per Micah 4:3-4; Isaiah 2:4.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Interesting view.

Is this the idea that Jesus will reign on earth providing training in the will of God. At which point everyone who ever lived will have the chance to accept Jesus or reject him?

Doesn't this mean, what we do now, what we believe now doesn't really matter?

I believe that is not going to happen. I do believe missionaries will be sent out to the remnant with temporal lives.

I believe some will have that opportunity because God is long suffering but I wouldn't think there would be many changing their mind.

I believe everything matters. Will the evils of the past be forgiven? Yes.

Muffled

Jesus in me
No, Jesus is Not his own God. Even the heavenly Jesus still thinks he has a God over him - Revelation 3:12.

In Scripture, I find Jesus is both King and High Priest of God's kingdom government for a thousand years.
At the end of Jesus' millennium-long duty reign over Earth, then Jesus hands back God's kingdom (Daniel 2:44) to his God according to 1 Corinthians 15:24-26.

Jesus does Not govern alone according to Revelation 20:6; Revelation 5:9-10; Revelation 2:10.
Under Christ there will be those serving under him as kings and priests.
As kings they will be responsible for taking care of governmental duties for people living on Earth.
As priests they will take care of spiritual responsibilities towards people of Earth.

The boundary or border of Jesus' reign over Earth is found at Psalms 72:8. Jesus will be doing the work found at Psalms 72:12-14.
Jesus will have subjects or citizens from one end of the Earth to the other end.
So, for one-thousand years, Jesus' ruling or governing boundary is all of planet Earth.

The Golden Rule basically is to love others as one would love oneself.
Jesus' NEW commandment of John 13:34-35 is the Law to maintain order.
Jesus' subjects will have the same self-sacrificing love for others as he has.
In other words, Jesus ' kingly or royal law ' means to now love others 'more' than self.
Mankind will Not learn war ( be taught war ) any more as per Micah 4:3-4; Isaiah 2:4.

I believe that is patently illogical.

I believe there are verses that say He reigns forever.

I believe that is true now but that does not mean that there is a coherent physical kingdom now.

I believe I am only sure of the New Jerusalem but with an empty earth except for a few places, I can envision people moving further out from the New Jerusalem.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I believe that is not going to happen. I do believe missionaries will be sent out to the remnant with temporal lives.

I believe some will have that opportunity because God is long suffering but I wouldn't think there would be many changing their mind.

I believe everything matters. Will the evils of the past be forgiven? Yes.

That's fine. This is the view I got from another Christian.

People seem certain in their belief of how this is all going to work out. They just can't quite agree on what that is.

You might as well believe in your own "version". I just accept nobody really knows so one belief is as good as the next.

Milton Platt

I believe I don't know anything about Jainism but I don't see how it is possible for it to be better than Christianity.

Jainism basically teaches not to harm any living creature. Christianity has been the cause of many deaths as well as torture and slavery over the centuries.
I do not ascribe to any religion, so am not holding this up as an example off what I believe, but simply as one viable answer to your question, which is which religion causes least harm.
You can find a blurb about it here: What is Jainism?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Why is one religion any better than any other?

Before you respond with why yours is better than mine first consider a few thoughts about the nature of our human language and how it relates to personal dogma. A dogma is a set of principles laid down by some authority you respect above all others. For other people absolute authority comes from within. In either case, wherever you place your authority, either out there in some person or some book, or within from your own insights, we are still bounded by the nature and limitations of our human language.

In order to have meaningful language, you have to have a set of assumptions or axioms you consider to be true without proof. From that point. you are then able to make statements in the language you can identify as being true or insane. For example, just like the word God is used in religion, science has the word "Time". Time doesn't exist anywhere. I can't touch it. I can't see it. Yet it's everywhere and eternal according to the scientists. Here's a really cool article on the idea that Time is not real:

"There Is No Such Thing As Time"

But this thread is not about Time but why is one religion better than any other. Again, consider the nature of language and having axioms. Every system of thought has a set of axioms. This is where everything breaks down in communication between people. People generally do not share the same set of axioms or are even aware that they have a set of ideas they accept as being true without any proof. It's just the way it is between people. So if my axioms are NOT the same as yours, then things I will say will seem insane to you. And things you say will seem insane to me. And if you can ascertain what someone else's axioms are in a conversation, then if your mind is big enough to pretend they are true, then you can see what the other person considers to be "truth" from their point of view.

Every religion, regardless of the source, has a set of assumptions or axioms that are considered to be absolute truth. These axioms are not challenged and do not require evidence or proof of their validity for the faithful. Either they are given to you through a book from some authority you consider to be the source of truth.

For people who believe in the Old Testament God, they have a set of axioms most people would not accept as being true. But this does not mean their dogma is better or worse than the dogma you and I have.

So now the question becomes, in my way of thinking, what set of axioms are the "right" set to have? I'm not sure there is a correct set as far as I can tell. I like to figure out what other people consider to be axioms. I'm like a collector of thought systems. I hold sets of axioms to be true like wearing clothing. So based on this axiomatic language way of thinking ALL religions are equally true and valid to the faithful.

What I find really amusing is how people continue being a proponent of a particular believe system as if their own either spoken or unspoken axioms are God's given truth. Everyone has their own dogma. And my dogma is the only right one! The rest of you are insane! Prove me wrong and I will call you teacher.

P.S. Dear Moderators, I may have created this in the wrong area. Please move if required based on your dogma. Thanks.

I don’t believe any one religion is better than any other. My understanding is they all contain truth. Science also is truth. Truth seems to be relative in this world and just like a medicine is meant to cure so too not every medicine will cure all ills.

So depending on the needs of the time some truths will be more relevant than others.

I see religion and truth as an ever evolving process that reveals more of itself as we develop the capacity and ability to understand more but that truth is limitless and religion is only an expression of relative truth at a certain period in history.

So as we developed our capacity grew to know more and more truth so more religion was revealed and is still being revealed to us. How to love each, how to love our country and now the challenge is how to love all humanity. And after that when we have learned to live as one on this planet there will be other religions revealing more truth to help us advance into the future.

Like a school of different classes kindergarten is just as important as univeriisyt for without learning our ABC’s university would be impossible. Same with religion. If we embrace the truths in all religions we shall be more complete and universal beings accepting all as our own family.

Like different medicines for different illnesses the different religions address different problems but all are valid and true and none is better than any other.

The best religion is all religions.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I don’t believe any one religion is better than any other. My understanding is they all contain truth. Science also is truth. Truth seems to be relative in this world and just like a medicine is meant to cure so too not every medicine will cure all ills.

So depending on the needs of the time some truths will be more relevant than others.

I see religion and truth as an ever evolving process that reveals more of itself as we develop the capacity and ability to understand more but that truth is limitless and religion is only an expression of relative truth at a certain period in history.

So as we developed our capacity grew to know more and more truth so more religion was revealed and is still being revealed to us. How to love each, how to love our country and now the challenge is how to love all humanity. And after that when we have learned to live as one on this planet there will be other religions revealing more truth to help us advance into the future.

Like a school of different classes kindergarten is just as important as univeriisyt for without learning our ABC’s university would be impossible. Same with religion. If we embrace the truths in all religions we shall be more complete and universal beings accepting all as our own family.

Like different medicines for different illnesses the different religions address different problems but all are valid and true and none is better than any other.

The best religion is all religions.

I believe Christianity is the only one that offers eternal life.

Holdasown

I don't think there is a best but a best for you. The gods are beings and like any relationship some work and some don't. Finding your path with them that works is what is best.

dfnj

Jainism basically teaches not to harm any living creature. Christianity has been the cause of many deaths as well as torture and slavery over the centuries.
I do not ascribe to any religion, so am not holding this up as an example off what I believe, but simply as one viable answer to your question, which is which religion causes least harm.
You can find a blurb about it here: What is Jainism?

Near my house is a HUGE Jain temple. I was thinking during the construction of the temple thousands of insects and animals were probably killed during its construction. Sorry, it's just the way my brain thinks.

dfnj

Will the true Christianity please stand up?

Of the 40,000 sects which to you is true Christianity when they all do not agree with each other?

My hope for this thread which failed miserably would be the idea that people would be able to identify the 10 or so statements about their dogma that they would consider absolutely true without any evidence or facts. I still stand by my OP that everyone has a set of articles of faith they consider to be true without proof. And once you understand and identify other people's list you will no longer see their point of view as being insane. Instead, the best people were able to do was to quote scripture or make descriptive statements. I don't think people want to muck around the source of their dogma for fear they might have to deal with uncomfortable issues.

dfnj

That's fine. This is the view I got from another Christian.

People seem certain in their belief of how this is all going to work out. They just can't quite agree on what that is.

You might as well believe in your own "version". I just accept nobody really knows so one belief is as good as the next.

I once heard someone say all throughout history there has been only one Christian and he died on the cross.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
My hope for this thread which failed miserably would be the idea that people would be able to identify the 10 or so statements about their dogma that they would consider absolutely true without any evidence or facts. I still stand by my OP that everyone has a set of articles of faith they consider to be true without proof. And once you understand and identify other people's list you will no longer see their point of view as being insane. Instead, the best people were able to do was to quote scripture or make descriptive statements. I don't think people want to muck around the source of their dogma for fear they might have to deal with uncomfortable issues.

I think you’re thread is great yet sometimes it takes on a life on its own which can be a good thing.

It’s very important to question ourselves. I’ll humbly offer a couple of beliefs which people hold to which their Holy Scriptures cannot positively comfirm.

1. Christ is the ONLY WAY comes from ‘I am the way’, nowhere does Jesus say the word ONLY which has led to Christians denying the truth of other Faiths.

2. ‘No other name being given under heaven that men may be saved’ has to be viewed in context because Jesus in Revelation said He would come with a ‘new name’ so ‘no other name’ was meant for that time not forever.

3.Islam. Muhammad is the last Prophet (forever) where does it state in the Quran FOREVER.?Nowhere of course. So Muhammad could have been the last Prophet of the Adamic Cycle or the last Prophet before the Day of Judgement, or the last Prophet of the prophetic cycle meaning after Him the fulfillment of prophecies comes.

We see in just two main passages of two major Faiths how the words ONLY and FOREVER have closed two religions to the acceptance of the other religions. These two religions comprise about 3 billion people? who reject the rest of religions on baseless assumptions? What errors of judgement divide us? Don’t we need to reflect again on what our Faiths actually teach? On the facts not assumptions? I think if we do that we will find we are all one family.

Last edited: