• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is one religion any better than any other?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Of course if one did miracles or foretold the future that would set it apart from the stuff of legend

Big 'IF' here. First I would not consider the 'stuff' of miracles whether true or not to justify one name nor image of God. Second, God would be what God is without any perspective of the fallible human view or understanding ancient scripture nor miracles.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Kingdom and Kings, before those words have any true meaning you have to first understand what the word "King" really means:

I find in the Bible, Bible speak, a kingdom is a government such as mentioned at Daniel 2:44
I find in the Bible Jesus will be king of God's kingdom or government for a thousand years.
So, just as the kingdom of England, and the kingdom of Jordan are connected to government, so is God's kingdom.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe Christianity provides the best solution for the future problem that is coming and for a worthwhile status.
The future problem is that the world will end and no flesh will survive. The solution is to be taken into the clouds to the New Jerusalem.
I believe the worthwhile status will be that we will have eternal life without sin.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Time is invisible until you have a watch, time is made manifest by the watch. God is made manifest by the word of God.

I believe all concepts of men have a reality even those that are fantasy. Time has a relevance to our lives now because life comes to an end. What falls in between birth and death is time.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Before you respond with why yours is better than mine first consider a few thoughts about the nature of our human language and how it relates to personal dogma. A dogma is a set of principles laid down by some authority you respect above all others. For other people absolute authority comes from within. In either case, wherever you place your authority, either out there in some person or some book, or within from your own insights, we are still bounded by the nature and limitations of our human language.

In order to have meaningful language, you have to have a set of assumptions or axioms you consider to be true without proof. From that point. you are then able to make statements in the language you can identify as being true or insane. For example, just like the word God is used in religion, science has the word "Time". Time doesn't exist anywhere. I can't touch it. I can't see it. Yet it's everywhere and eternal according to the scientists. Here's a really cool article on the idea that Time is not real:

"There Is No Such Thing As Time"

But this thread is not about Time but why is one religion better than any other. Again, consider the nature of language and having axioms. Every system of thought has a set of axioms. This is where everything breaks down in communication between people. People generally do not share the same set of axioms or are even aware that they have a set of ideas they accept as being true without any proof. It's just the way it is between people. So if my axioms are NOT the same as yours, then things I will say will seem insane to you. And things you say will seem insane to me. And if you can ascertain what someone else's axioms are in a conversation, then if your mind is big enough to pretend they are true, then you can see what the other person considers to be "truth" from their point of view.

Every religion, regardless of the source, has a set of assumptions or axioms that are considered to be absolute truth. These axioms are not challenged and do not require evidence or proof of their validity for the faithful. Either they are given to you through a book from some authority you consider to be the source of truth.

For people who believe in the Old Testament God, they have a set of axioms most people would not accept as being true. But this does not mean their dogma is better or worse than the dogma you and I have.

So now the question becomes, in my way of thinking, what set of axioms are the "right" set to have? I'm not sure there is a correct set as far as I can tell. I like to figure out what other people consider to be axioms. I'm like a collector of thought systems. I hold sets of axioms to be true like wearing clothing. So based on this axiomatic language way of thinking ALL religions are equally true and valid to the faithful.

What I find really amusing is how people continue being a proponent of a particular believe system as if their own either spoken or unspoken axioms are God's given truth. Everyone has their own dogma. And my dogma is the only right one! The rest of you are insane! Prove me wrong and I will call you teacher.

P.S. Dear Moderators, I may have created this in the wrong area. Please move if required based on your dogma. Thanks.

Food, the better religion is the one which has the best food.

Hare Krishnas have the best food I've ever eaten so that makes it the better religion.

Milton Platt

Before you respond with why yours is better than mine first consider a few thoughts about the nature of our human language and how it relates to personal dogma. A dogma is a set of principles laid down by some authority you respect above all others. For other people absolute authority comes from within. In either case, wherever you place your authority, either out there in some person or some book, or within from your own insights, we are still bounded by the nature and limitations of our human language.

In order to have meaningful language, you have to have a set of assumptions or axioms you consider to be true without proof. From that point. you are then able to make statements in the language you can identify as being true or insane. For example, just like the word God is used in religion, science has the word "Time". Time doesn't exist anywhere. I can't touch it. I can't see it. Yet it's everywhere and eternal according to the scientists. Here's a really cool article on the idea that Time is not real:

But this thread is not about Time but why is one religion better than any other. Again, consider the nature of language and having axioms. Every system of thought has a set of axioms. This is where everything breaks down in communication between people. People generally do not share the same set of axioms or are even aware that they have a set of ideas they accept as being true without any proof. It's just the way it is between people. So if my axioms are NOT the same as yours, then things I will say will seem insane to you. And things you say will seem insane to me. And if you can ascertain what someone else's axioms are in a conversation, then if your mind is big enough to pretend they are true, then you can see what the other person considers to be "truth" from their point of view.

Every religion, regardless of the source, has a set of assumptions or axioms that are considered to be absolute truth. These axioms are not challenged and do not require evidence or proof of their validity for the faithful. Either they are given to you through a book from some authority you consider to be the source of truth.

For people who believe in the Old Testament God, they have a set of axioms most people would not accept as being true. But this does not mean their dogma is better or worse than the dogma you and I have.

So now the question becomes, in my way of thinking, what set of axioms are the "right" set to have? I'm not sure there is a correct set as far as I can tell. I like to figure out what other people consider to be axioms. I'm like a collector of thought systems. I hold sets of axioms to be true like wearing clothing. So based on this axiomatic language way of thinking ALL religions are equally true and valid to the faithful.

What I find really amusing is how people continue being a proponent of a particular believe system as if their own either spoken or unspoken axioms are God's given truth. Everyone has their own dogma. And my dogma is the only right one! The rest of you are insane! Prove me wrong and I will call you teacher.

P.S. Dear Moderators, I may have created this in the wrong area. Please move if required based on your dogma. Thanks.

I don't have any respect for any of them....but the best one is the one that does the least harm.

Milton Platt

There is one God, many covenants. Differing religions are expressions of faith. If they were really lived up to there would be no sense of 'better than'. We ought not to judge another's faith, but the corruption of that faith that creeps in over time.

But religious faith is essentially belief without sufficient evidence.

Child Empress

Left-Hand Tantric Path

We all perceive the Truth differently.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

the truth(singular) can be conveyed in forms(plural)

Whitestone

I don't know that one religion is better than another. Wouldn't it depend upon what a person wants out of the religion? What is better for them?
For myself, Jesus is my religion. I choose Him because He revealed Himself to me in Love, and with Forgiveness of sins, a New Spirit of Righteousness and Holiness, and Eternal Life with Him Forever.
Other people may want something else, I'm sure there's plenty of religions for all reasons out there.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Food, the better religion is the one which has the best food.

Hare Krishnas have the best food I've ever eaten so that makes it the better religion.

I believe there is a Greek God for food and drink. Unfortunately you can't take it with you into the afterlife.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I believe there is a Greek God for food and drink. Unfortunately you can't take it with you into the afterlife.

Why not?
They believe in reincarnation so, for them the afterlife is just the next lifetime.

Recipes are, supposedly, 1000s of years old. I remember them telling me Khrisna really liked sweet food. :)

Muffled

Jesus in me
Why not?
They believe in reincarnation so, for them the afterlife is just the next lifetime.

Recipes are, supposedly, 1000s of years old. I remember them telling me Khrisna really liked sweet food. :)

I believe it isn't quite that simple and new lives stop after the 1000 year reign of Jesus.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I believe it isn't quite that simple and new lives stop after the 1000 year reign of Jesus.

Interesting view.

Is this the idea that Jesus will reign on earth providing training in the will of God. At which point everyone who ever lived will have the chance to accept Jesus or reject him?

Doesn't this mean, what we do now, what we believe now doesn't really matter?