• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Why is murder wrong?"

Kapalika

Premium Member
How about a recap of the argument. I'm not about to spend 10 minutes on a silly presentation.

God no one has attention spans these days. ya'll just up for you're fast paced, cellphone, bite-sized headlines. Those 140 characters, those 6 second "vines" or whatever they are called. God I'm not even past my mid 20's and I already feel so old.

The entire point as I said is I can't articulate it as well as Darkmatter2525 did. Otherwise I would of summarized it. I found the video as entertaining enough.

But anyway, the topic is about the video. If you won't watch the video GTFO off my topic. You're just wasting everyone's time and I refuse to let anyone try to argue against or for something they didn't watch.

Besides, arguments, values, ect, are often better conveyed through narratives. That's the entire point for the guy's video styles.

Jedster

I saw this recently and it was just an amazing argument better articulated than I could of ever done it, although I've tried before.

Well worth the watch thanks.

I've met many Bible-believers who have told me that the only reason they don't kill is because of the commandment. It is scary.

Skwim

Veteran Member
God no one has attention spans these days. ya'll just up for you're fast paced, cellphone, bite-sized headlines. Those 140 characters, those 6 second "vines" or whatever they are called. God I'm not even past my mid 20's and I already feel so old.

The entire point as I said is I can't articulate it as well as Darkmatter2525 did. Otherwise I would of summarized it. I found the video as entertaining enough.

But anyway, the topic is about the video. If you won't watch the video GTFO off my topic.
"GTFO." My, my what a sour temper. And so possessive to boot. Hmmm. . . . . . . . . . . It will be interesting to see what you post in the future.

You're just wasting everyone's time and I refuse to let anyone try to argue against or for something they didn't watch.
You do understand, don't you, that nobody here is obligated to read anything, So, if they feel that reading a post is wasting time they can cut bait and go on to something else. Also, just how do propose to prevent anyone from trying to argue against or for something they didn't watch? Your bluster here is amusing, to say the least.

My suggestion: Take a deep breath, try putting yourself in the shoes of others, and don't take yourself so seriously. This is nothing more than a friendly debate forum where ideas are openly exchanged, not an assembly of prisoners under your charge.

Last edited:

Kapalika

Premium Member
"GTFO." My, my what a sour temper. And so possessive to boot. Hmmm. . . . . . . . . . . It will be interesting to see what you post in the future.

You do understand, don't you, that nobody here is obligated to read anything, So, if they feel that reading a post is wasting time they can cut bait and go on to something else. Also, just how do propose to prevent anyone from trying to argue against or for something they didn't watch? Your bluster here is amusing, to say the least.

My suggestion: Take a deep breath, try putting yourself in the shoes of others, and don't take yourself so seriously. This is nothing more than a friendly debate forum where ideas are openly exchanged, not an assembly of prisoners under your charge.

I'm just tired of making topics with links or resources without anyone reading them, sometimes not even reading the entire original post and then commenting on irrelevant stuff because they got the wrong impression from the topic.

The topic is specifically about the video. Without watching it posts would be off topic imo. Please respect that. However if there was a script I'd share that as well since I know some people prefer to read it all instead or might have bad internet connection or just read it faster than hear it. I'm sorry for being rude. I lost my temper.

The best summary I can give is that it's an inversion of the typical 'athiests dont have any reason to think murder is wrong' and show that any dictate of saying that murder is wrong as a truism means it doesn't require god, and that if it does require god to dictate it, it's arbitrary. And if it's not arbitrary because it's god's nature... (and this is the best part), then it doesn't require god since something determined his nature. But if he determined his nature (the other best part), then it's still arbitrary.

And in either case, since Christians believe in Heaven, murder is inconsequential since they can be forgiven and people murdered will go to paradise (assuming they were Christian too). Where as to the athiest, it's the worst thing one can do since they erase that person from existence and that "sheer empathy alone" will stop most atheists from ever murdering.

Oh, and the video had some jokes in it too. David Copperfield... and uh, rainbows with knights. and.. never mind lol not as relevant.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I'm just tired of making topics with links or resources without anyone reading them, sometimes not even reading the entire original post and then commenting on irrelevant stuff because they got the wrong impression from the topic.

The topic is specifically about the video. Without watching it posts would be off topic imo. Please respect that. However if there was a script I'd share that as well since I know some people prefer to read it all instead or might have bad internet connection or just read it faster than hear it. I'm sorry for being rude. I lost my temper.
All's forgiven.

The best summary I can give is that it's an inversion of the typical 'athiests dont have any reason to think murder is wrong' and show that any dictate of saying that murder is wrong as a truism means it doesn't require god, and that if it does require god to dictate it, it's arbitrary. And if it's not arbitrary because it's god's nature... (and this is the best part), then it doesn't require god since something determined his nature. But if he determined his nature (the other best part), then it's still arbitrary.

And in either case, since Christians believe in Heaven, murder is inconsequential since they can be forgiven and people murdered will go to paradise (assuming they were Christian too). Where as to the athiest, it's the worst thing one can do since they erase that person from existence and that "sheer empathy alone" will stop most atheists from ever murdering.
Thanks.

prometheus11

Excellent video. Well worth the time to watch! Like most of DM2525's stuff. Does a great job exposing the irrationality of religious "morality"

Kelly of the Phoenix

That's why I like the concept of Dharma better in the Mahabharata. EVERYONE has to follow morality/truth (though it was invented to save Earth), from gods to demons.

prometheus11

Well, certainly a Christian cannot say that murder if wrong. Their God commands it for many people for many reasons. As with slavery, the bible provides no metric for absolute determination of the act being "wrong"

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm pretty sure the empathy thing keeps most Christians from killing people.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you're not willing to take the time to read/watch the argument presented by the OP, how can you legitimately post a response?

Where do people come by the knowledge their opinions are based on these days, if they don't have the attention span to read the paper or listen to discussions?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

But anyway, the topic is about the video. If you won't watch the video GTFO off my topic. You're just wasting everyone's time and I refuse to let anyone try to argue against or for something they didn't watch.

Besides, arguments, values, ect, are often better conveyed through narratives. That's the entire point for the guy's video styles.

Sheesh. Some of us Dont have attention spans, some are older, some may be Deaf, others may not like these types of cartoons, while others may see a better debate when not seen as animated weird shootup movies rather than well articulated arguments.

Why is murder wrong?

1. Our bodies are made to grow and decay. Interupting that process murder or suicide is against the nature of our bodies. We dont survive by eating other humans. Its wrong.

2. Its wrong for sociatal reasons. Making murder a part of the constitution kinda defeats the purpose of fighting for our country when we dont value the lives of the people who live in it

3. Murder is wrong because of religious reaaons. Not just "thou shall not kill". If we support murder, our spiritual egos would be crushed by not only seeing the death of those who dont want to die but seeing our laws promoting those who find it okay to die. (Reminds me of politics) Its against our spiritual morals. Promoting it will cause breakdown (and more protestors than those fighting against abortion)

I could go on.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I avoid using the word murder in discussions of moral issues. Because it is vague, nobody has an objective definition. I try to stick to more objective terms like "killing", but even that one is not extremely precise.
The usual dictionary definition of murder is something like "extralegal homicide". But then the meaning becomes a subjective interpretation of the legality. And legality varies widely by the jurisdiction. Raif Badawi has been sentenced to death by lashing, for advocating freedom of speech, by the Muslim laws in Saudi Arabia. I consider that murder, but not everyone does.
I see it as a form of scripturally endorsed murder, which is not confined to the Muslim world. It happens a lot.
Tom

prometheus11

It's hard to find any legitimate critiques on his representations of the God of the bible. He does a fantastic job of highlighting god's hypocrisy and "evil"