• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is morality a problem?

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
In the sense of that suffering is to be avoided where possible, right.
There are those among the religious who seem to think that suffering is "holy" and a way to "get closer to god". "Mother" Theresa comes to mind.

Mother Theresa said that the purpose of her work was to bring glory to the Vatican.
I’ll say no more.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Mother Theresa said that the purpose of her work was to bring glory to the Vatican.
I’ll say no more.
Sheesh. I'm not even Catholic, and I know that this is baloney. Mother Theresa would never say that her work gives glory to the Vatican. She would say that it gives glory to Jesus. Big Difference.

One should never allow one's distaste for an institution to distort the facts.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Sheesh. I'm not even Catholic, and I know that this is baloney. Mother Theresa would never say that her work gives glory to the Vatican. She would say that it gives glory to Jesus. Big Difference.

Whatever it may be, she was a very evil woman and in my opinion, a prime example of how theistic beliefs can turn morals and ethics upside down.

People like to talk about here as "goodness itself", but in reality, I think it was nothing short of vile.
She didn't help people. She believed that suffering was something "holy".

She received billions in charity and yet, "her people" were left to die in the most primitive of circumstances. With all the money she received, the hospitals should have been quite state of the art, if the money was actually used for that. But it wasn't.

And when she got ill herself, she stepped on a plane to a proper hospital to receive proper treatment.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud

No that was for real. You will obviously doubt it, and I haven’t kept a database of the sources of all the information I have in my head.

One should never allow one's distaste for the facts to distort the institution. :p

IndigoChild5559

Whatever it may be, she was a very evil woman and in my opinion, a prime example of how theistic beliefs can turn morals and ethics upside down.
Mother Theresa was an evil woman? We have opposing ideas what good and evil are. My idea of good is loving God and your neighbor as yourself. She was certainly that.

IndigoChild5559

No that was for real. You will obviously doubt it, and I haven’t kept a database of the sources of all the information I have in my head.

One should never allow one's distaste for the facts to distort the institution. :p
You mean you have a database of all the people she picked up off the street who were sick and dying and took in and nursed?

IndigoChild5559

Maybe you aren't aware of this documentary:

I don't watch documentaries or visit websites. I read posts. If you have something to say, WRITE it, and back it up with quotea, using citations. Make sure your citations are quality ones, not worthless YouTube documentaries. You can find all sorts of blather on YouTube.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't watch documentaries or visit websites. I read posts. If you have something to say, WRITE it, and back it up with quotea, using citations. Make sure your citations are quality ones, not worthless YouTube documentaries. You can find all sorts of blather on YouTube.
So your only source of information is internet chat? Why would anyone take your opinions seriously -- on any issue?
There are none so blind....

IndigoChild5559

So your only source of information is internet chat? Why would anyone take your opinions seriously -- on any issue?
There are none so blind....
No, my sources are quality websites, religious texts, and on occasion, good books (I try not to use these since the reader cannot verify). I said when I come into forums, I only read posts--that's what forums are for. I expect them to be well written, which means when they make points, they back them up with information from quality websites, not blogs or YouTube or other sites of questionable quality (such as bad science sites or revisionist history).

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
That's what I thought. You have swallowed the Vatican's story hook, line and sinker and aren't aware of the other side of the story.
teresa-hag.jpg

I don't think that you and @TagliatelliMonster have differing ideas of good and bad. I think you lack the information to see how bad Mother Theresa was.

IndigoChild5559

That's what I thought. You have swallowed the Vatican's story hook, line and sinker and aren't aware of the other side of the story.
teresa-hag.jpg

I don't think that you and @TagliatelliMonster have differing ideas of good and bad. I think you lack the information to see how bad Mother Theresa was.
It seems to me that these beliefs about suffering and the role of women do not negate the great good that she did nursing the sick and dying.

Heyo

Veteran Member
It seems to me that these beliefs about suffering and the role of women do not negate the great good that she did nursing the sick and dying.
That is exactly the information you are missing. She didn't nurse the sick and the dying. She let them suffer - because suffering is such a great thing. The lack of anaesthesia in the dying homes and the hospitals is one of the things that makes her a sadist and not a good person.

IndigoChild5559

That is exactly the information you are missing. She didn't nurse the sick and the dying. She let them suffer - because suffering is such a great thing. The lack of anaesthesia in the dying homes and the hospitals is one of the things that makes her a sadist and not a good person.
She brought them off the streets and cared for them when no one else would. Enough.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Mother Theresa was an evil woman?

Yes.

We have opposing ideas what good and evil are. My idea of good is loving God and your neighbor as yourself. She was certainly that.

My idea of being good is actually doing good.
Which she did not do. She didn't work to remove suffering. She and her order thinks suffering is a "gift from god". Her "hospital" was nothing but a filthy building with wooden "beds" on which people came to suffer and die. With all the billions in funds she received, those buildings should have been state-of-the-art hospitals. But she didn't believe in helping people. She believed in the "holiness of suffering".

And when she got ill herself, she actually stepped on a plane to fly to a proper hospital to get treatment.
She's an evil hypocrite.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
She brought them off the streets and cared for them when no one else would. Enough.

They were sick and dying on the streets and then she took them indoors and left them to be sick and dying there.

Let's make an analogy to make you understand.
The sick people were being attacked by desease. Let's replace "desease" with "sexual predator" and "attacked" by "abused".

So instead of living on the street while sick, people are living in the streets while being abused by sexual predators.

What she then did, was take them indoors and let the sexual abuse continue while being able to stop it but unwilling to do so. Because her "faith" says that sexual abuse is "holy" and a "gift from god".

This is the exact equivalent of her behaviour.
To call that "good" is a total rape of the word "good".

It's not good. Sure, it's better then leaving them in the streets, but only insofar as them now having a roof over their heads. If someone is starving in the street and you then take them in just to let them continue starving indoors - you're not actually helping.