• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Is Jesus Called The Word/Logos?

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
John 1:1
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (NKJV)

Why is Jesus called the Word?

Word = Logos

What exactly is meant by Logos?

Katie

Sultan Of Swing

The Logos in Greek philosophy was the principle of order, of rationality, of knowledge and pervaded the universe.

What it means exactly in John 1:1 may be similar, and in the rendering of "Word" can refer to God's activity, for example when He said "Let there be light" it was done through the "Word". All things were created through the Word.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
This is a topic that has started to interest me in recent years.

I'm currently reading a book about Heraclitus, and its during that time that word is starting to become defined.

It's very much like what Sultan says above. It's the law of nature in a sense. The fundamental principles on which all things revolve around. The way I read John 1:1 is "in the beginning was a blue-print..." It was the thought, idea, principle that all was made out from.

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
This is a topic that has started to interest me in recent years.

I'm currently reading a book about Heraclitus, and its during that time that word is starting to become defined.

It's very much like what Sultan says above. It's the law of nature in a sense. The fundamental principles on which all things revolve around. The way I read John 1:1 is "in the beginning was a blue-print..." It was the thought, idea, principle that all was made out from.
Okay so, in a way, Jesus the logos was the thoughts God had in His head. That makes sense to me. Thank you for sharing.
Katie

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
John 1:1
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (NKJV)

Why is Jesus called the Word?

Word = Logos

Katie

When I think of Jesus, the Word, I see Him as an extension of God.

When I think or speak words, those words are part of me. I can share my thoughts and words with others, sending them anywhere. My words, in a sense, are me.

I think of Jesus in the same way. God's thoughts, His logic, His reasoning, His will are all represented by Logos, His Word, Jesus.

I think of the Holy Spirit the same way. The Holy Spirit of God is an extension of God. He is a part of God. God can send His Spirit anywhere.

My $0.02 worth.

Katie

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
True, and it helps me to think of each verse in John 1 as a riddle or part of a poem. Each phrase is written cryptically and with much imagery. John 1:11 "He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him." John 1:19 "Now this was John’s testimony when the Jewish leaders..." <--this is helps put the discussion into context, because the writer does 2 things. 1. He accuses 'The Jewish leaders' and 2 he explains what he means by 'His own did not receive him'. A lot hinges around when you accept the gospel of John was written. It does not establish its own place in time, because despite talking about Jesus and John the Baptist this first chapter is heavily doused in Greek philosophy. That is why it seems likely to have been written late third or fourth century.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
TA lot hinges around when you accept the gospel of John was written. It does not establish its own place in time, because despite talking about Jesus and John the Baptist this first chapter is heavily doused in Greek philosophy. That is why it seems likely to have been written late third or fourth century.
From Wikipedia: Gospel of John / Authorship with emphasis added …

The gospel identifies its author as "the disciple whom Jesus loved." Although the text does not name this disciple, by the beginning of the 2nd century, a tradition had begun to form which identified him with John the Apostle, one of the Twelve (Jesus' innermost circle). Although some notable New Testament scholars affirm traditional Johannine scholarship, the majority do not believe that John or one of the Apostles wrote it, and trace it instead to a "Johannine community" which traced its traditions to John; the gospel itself shows signs of having been composed in three "layers", reaching its final form about 90–100 AD. According to Victorinus and Irenaeus, the Bishops of Asia Minor requested John, in his old age, to write a gospel in response to Cerinthus, the Ebionites and other Jewish Christian groups which they deemed heretical. This understanding remained in place until the end of the 18th century.

The earliest manuscripts to contain the beginning of the gospel (Papyrus 66 and Papyrus 75), dating from around the year 200, entitled "The Gospel according to John".

See, also, here.

moorea944

Logos in Greek is someone's plans, thoughts or reasons. The beginning of John 1 is talking about God, not Jesus per say. Jesus was here in the beginning, but only in God's mind and plans. Then in verse 14, Jesus comes into play. He is the "logos" of God. Some versions have it wrong. It says in verse 2, "He was in the beginning with God." That is wrong comparing it to org. text. Org. text says that, 'this was in the beginning with God". Big difference.

So we see in John 1 that it was God's plans that was here in the beginning. Then in 14, Jesus is made.

Sultan Of Swing

True, and it helps me to think of each verse in John 1 as a riddle or part of a poem. Each phrase is written cryptically and with much imagery. John 1:11 "He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him." John 1:19 "Now this was John’s testimony when the Jewish leaders..." <--this is helps put the discussion into context, because the writer does 2 things. 1. He accuses 'The Jewish leaders' and 2 he explains what he means by 'His own did not receive him'. A lot hinges around when you accept the gospel of John was written. It does not establish its own place in time, because despite talking about Jesus and John the Baptist this first chapter is heavily doused in Greek philosophy. That is why it seems likely to have been written late third or fourth century.
The concept of Logos as a technical term came about from Heraclitus as mentioned above and in the Wikipedia article in around the 5th or 6th centuries BC. Why would being "doused in Greek philosophy" imply a 3rd or 4th century authorship? Greek philosophy's been going round a long time.

From Wikipedia: "The earliest manuscripts to contain the beginning of the gospel (Papyrus 66 and Papyrus 75), dating from around the year 200, entitled "The Gospel according to John"
So we know that it can't be any later than that.

Furthermore, it was known earlier by the writings of the church fathers. Irenaeus in the second century talks about the four gospels, particularly that these four should be taken as the orthodox ones and that John in fact be taken as the primary gospel because of its well developed Christology. Other second century fathers to know the text include Justin Martyr, Tatian and Theophilus of Antioch. Papias seemed to be familiar with the text and wrote at the beginning of the second century, implying the origin of the text would be first century.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Word = Logos
Actually there are several words in ancient Greek (including Hellenistic/Koine) that mean "word" as much as did logos, such as mythos, rhema, etc.

Nobody knows, although there are a lot of good theories (and many more bad ones). I've uploaded/attach some material on this question you may find helpful.

Attachments

• logos in nag hammadi.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 53
  • logos and plato.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 44
  • The Johannine Origins of the Johannine Logos.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 211
  • Logos and Shekinah in the Fourth Gospel.pdf
    564.4 KB · Views: 192
  • Logos was the True Light- Contributions to the Interpretation of the Prologue of John.pdf
    434.3 KB · Views: 72

Kolibri

It is interesting, to me at least, that Aaron served as a "mouth" for Moses, speaking as he was directed. (Exodus 4:15,16) Similarly Jesus would be his Father's spokesman. (John 12:49,50; 14:10; 7:16,17) Having the title Word thus signifies Jesus' role as his Father's Chief Spokesman.

The other passage that calls Jesus "the Word of God" is Rev 19:11-16, where he is also called "Faithful and True." Rev 3:14 adds more to this.

"To the angel of the congregation in La-o-di-ce'a write: these are the things the the Amen (2Co 1:20) says, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation by God:" - Rev 3:14

-----------------------------------------------
A non-trinitarian might suspect that the angel that had 'Jehovah's name within him' to be Jesus in his pre-human life; the Israelites were told to "strictly obey his voice and do all that I say." (Exodus 23:20-23)

Last edited:

moorea944

Exodus 23. perfect example of God manifestation! God working thru people. Elohim! Someone carrying the name of God, such is this case, an angel. Christ also carried the name of his Father. He manifested his Father's charactor and will perfectly. All power was "given" to Christ from his Father. Awesome thing!

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
It is interesting, to me at least, that Aaron served as a "mouth" for Moses, speaking as he was directed. (Exodus 4:15,16) Similarly Jesus would be his Father's spokesman. (John 12:49,50; 14:10; 7:16,17) Having the title Word thus signifies Jesus' role as his Father's Chief Spokesman.

The other passage that calls Jesus "the Word of God" is Rev 19:11-16, where he is also called "Faithful and True." Rev 3:14 adds more to this.

"To the angel of the congregation in La-o-di-ce'a write: these are the things the the Amen (2Co 1:20) says, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation by God:" - Rev 3:14

-----------------------------------------------
A non-trinitarian might suspect that the angel that had 'Jehovah's name within him' to be Jesus in his pre-human life; the Israelites were told to "strictly obey his voice and do all that I say." (Exodus 23:20-23)

According to John 1:1-2, the Logos was with Theos from the beginning.

Before the beginning began, the Word was there.

Imho, the Logos of Theos is none other than an extension of God or a part of Him: His thoughts, His logic, His plans, His reason, His will.

It is no different with you and me. Our thoughts, logic, plans, reason and will are an extension or part of us.

God chose to manifest His Logos (thoughts, logic, plans, reason and will) in the man Jesus Christ. John 1:1 says the Word became flesh.

I don't see how anyone can separate God from His Logos. When they do, they create another god.

Blessings,

Katie