• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is Jerusalem considered the destination of the midnight ride?

stevecanuck

What proof is there that Jerusalem was the site of "al masjid al aqsa" spoken of in verse 17:1?

Last edited:
What proof is there that Jerusalem was the site of "al masjid al aqsa" spoken of in verse 17:1?

Proof? None

It's the product of exegesis and hadith/sirah so it's veracity depends on your attitudes towards these.

It's in a chapter about Moses though so the parallels of a journey to Jerusalem are there.

The more interesting question is why...

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The mosque's origins stretch back to the seventh century. It was first built in A.D. 637, just five years after the prophet's death. It has been destroyed, rebuilt and renovated multiple times.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There isn't, Masjid al-Aqsa in that verse as far I understand refers to the holiest place of prostration which was where Mohammad (s) was two bows or closer still. This is what Ahlulbayt (a) said about the verse.

The other place in Jerusalem, was originally the Qibla (at the start of Nubuwa of Mohammad (s)) but it transitioned eventually to the Kaba. It's holy but it's not the holiest Masjid, the holiest Masjid is a place beyond Angels, beyond all in a sky/reality where Mohammad (s) saw God through his heart at a very high level of glory, but God is still beyond that and above that sight.

stevecanuck

There isn't, Masjid al-Aqsa in that verse as far I understand refers to the holiest place of prostration which was where Mohammad (s) was two bows or closer still.

The other place in Jerusalem, was originally the Qibla (at the start of Nubuwa of Mohammad (s)) but it transitioned eventually to the Kaba. It's holy but it's not the holiest Masjid, the holiest Masjid is a place beyond Angels, beyond all in a sky/reality where Mohammad (s) saw God through his heart at a very high level of glory, but God is still beyond that and above that sight.

That's my understanding.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's my understanding.

Also at times places of prostration refers to the chosen ones - for example - Adam (a) was a prostration rally point for Angels (a). In Suratal Jinn, because Jinn are hidden and witness the spirits of humans and are not physical, the Masajid (places of prostration) belonging to God refers to the chosen families like family of Abraham (a), family of Aaron/Moses (a), and family of Mohammad (s). The Jinn are being told, not to take anyone as sons of God or daughters of God and if there was anyone who would be that, it would be those who are places of prostration for Angels, but those prostrations are in fact, for God, and so Angels prostrating to Adam (a) were prostrating to God and him as the means/direction.

It doesn't always refer to a Mosque. However, because humans tend to worship other humans and Angels often, God has made it that we prostrate ourselves to the Kaba which has rock from heaven there, but it's at the end just a rock, and we intend to submit to God in all that.

Although the moon is used for the months in Islam, and God's guardian king uses it to dispel the dark magic, we also don't prostrate ourselves to the moon or sun or anything but to God. But we should understand the light we are seeing God by is his name/face and that is the Imam. Everything glorifies God through God's name/leader/face that remains, and so he is the highest point in the sky and connects everyone to that reality.

That is not to say we prostrate to him, but we should know he is the veil of light on God's creation and we connect to God through him.

Shakeel

There isn't, Masjid al-Aqsa in that verse as far I understand refers to the holiest place of prostration which was where Mohammad (s) was two bows or closer sti
Can I get that in a coherent sentence? "Two bows or closer still.." - where?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Can I get that in a coherent sentence? "Two bows or closer still.." - where?

The Quranic Arabic Corpus - Translation

The bows are understood by some to make a circle and so there is no distance, between the two bows.

Bows as in:

85918.jpg

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is name not the best indicator?

The verse is self-explanatory, it says he was brought from the sacred place of prostration to the holiest place of prostration so that God can show him of his signs. The signs are that which he witnessed in Ascending to the sky/reality and so it makes sense it's not about a physical place because the signs shown are that which was in the sky/heaven reality and else where Quran talks about it as when he was two bows or even closer still.