• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is it that...

DTSDMF

I believe in mankind
Toward the end of my days in sixth form, I seemed to spend a lot of time discussing the argument of science versus religion. I noticed a trend that it seemed ok for the religious side of the discussion to question science, yet when i questioned religion, i was "shot down" and told that i was "closed minded".
I am 18 (and kind of hippie-ish), and spent the first 15 years of my life attending catholic mass every Sunday, have gone to catholic schools, which i accept may be better because of their religious orientation, and so i feel i have been open to the concepts and that i have a fairly balanced viewpoint, yet i side with science.
So to my question, why is it that scientists always have to argue their point more? In my experience, they (we) are always on the back foot. Is this simply because catholicism (or religion) is in the majority? Or because the people i talk with are less open to themselves being wrong?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I am surprised some one living in the UK has that problem.

Neither the Church of England nor the Catholics have a problem with science.
Bible literalists are fairly rare in the UK, but they have a problem with The Genesis/Creation and science mismatch.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Scientists in many instances actually refuse to "argue their points" - they let them speak for themselves. In the case of individuals arguing science, though, I think it undeniable that there is some stigma to questioning beliefs. For one, beliefs are a very personal thing, and science as un-personal as a thing can get. So who's to say what "wrong" is?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I am 18 (and kind of hippie-ish), and spent the first 15 years of my life attending catholic mass every Sunday, have gone to catholic schools, which i accept may be better because of their religious orientation, and so i feel i have been open to the concepts and that i have a fairly balanced viewpoint, yet i side with science.
So to my question, why is it that scientists always have to argue their point more?

Because they actually have one. Don't get me wrong; there are alot of religious people who are informed enough and secure enough to have a rational debate with (quite a few of those in here) but if someone's threatened by (polite) questions right from the onset, don't expect to get anything useful out of them.

Chances are they don't actually have the answers to the questions you're asking, so the only way for them to save face (and save "faith") is to make it seem like there was something wrong in asking them in the first place.

People don't like to be reminded of their own ignorance. They especially don't like to be reminded that they're not really as sure about what they beleive, or why they believe it, as they would have you think they are.

Welcome to the forums btw.
icon14.gif

DTSDMF

I believe in mankind
The "arguments" aren't so much because of a problem, but some failed to understand that i have the "faith" in explanations given by science, and our human power to explore further into the workings of the universe etc. in the same way they have faith in god, i suppose because it isn't as fantastical (not to sound "pompous").

Also, does anyone else have the opinion that if we don't believe in a god or a creator, we hold too much self importance? Personally i feel that this belittles us and our creations/inventions/discoveries.