• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is it hard for "white people" to acknowledge racism from other white people?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Got your attention right?

This perennial question has been on my mind considering my co-workers and I tend to discuss socio-political issues. What is common outside the internet is, when white nationalists do things terrible towards people of color, and when we (we as people of color) draw attention to the issue of racism brought against us, thr comment automatically deflects "what about black on black crime?"

(Again there is no such thing as black on black crime, there is only crime, criminals of African-American origin do not attack other African-Americans based on race fyi).

Or as a reader of news articles and unfortunately a reader of yahoo articles, the comment section is filled with racism. I notice a lot of my fellow co-workers tend to ask stupid questions like "why do a lot of blacks complain about racism so much?"

I usually give off the sarcastic response stating that Jim Crow was only in the 1940's. I am 35, so the residual effects of racism are still there however I notice fellow white Americans don't want to discuss it in the sense of acknowledging the grievances of people of color.

Fast Forward to Trump's election

Charlottesville, and now recent the young African-American soldier who died and whose wife is speaking out, I am reading online and hearing some offline comments, about blaming Antifa and more recently online at least, the recently deceased soldiers wife.

I am curious as a 35 year old black man who has had to answer for what other blacks do, and who call out what other blacks do, why aren't white Americans doing the same? It seems like a pot calling the kettle black type situation.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Two words:
white privilege.

Regarding the title....is it?

You'd have to ask other white folks that. However coming from a different ethnic demographic I think either it is, or they refuse to not acknowledge it. This why I am starting to like antifa so much (without the violence) because young white students can acknowledge white nationalism as a problem and will stand against it.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I am curious as a 35 year old black man who has had to answer for what other blacks do, and who call out what other blacks do, why aren't white Americans doing the same?
As a white man, I am not seeing the disproportionate answering of blacks for the crimes of other blacks that you imply in your question.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
The more I look into "identity politics" and its various guises, the less enthralled I am with it. In fact I think identity politics do a lot more harm than good.

Do I agree that some individuals are racist and/or bigoted? Of course! Do I believe in collective guilt? No I do not.

Also, who speaks for these minority groups? If I join a labor union, then I'm doing that voluntarily and I probably can vote for my representative. But - for example - who put BLM in charge of anything? And as a black man, are you happy to be included in a group you don't have any option of quitting? I can yell you that as a white man, the concept of "white privilege" galls me. This gets back to the absolutely horrible, immoral idea of collective guilt. Identity politics would have us believe that no matter how ethical, compassionate, unbiased, generous, and purely I live my life, I must sign on for my share of "white privilege". Horrible idea, just horrible.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
This why I am starting to like antifa so much (without the violence) because young white students can acknowledge white nationalism as a problem and will stand against it.

I like Antifa, too. They are willing to take the next step in confronting that which, we have to be honest with ourselves about this, mere talk and outwitting through conversation is not going to solve.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

This perennial question has been on my mind considering my co-workers and I tend to discuss socio-political issues. What is common outside the internet is, when white nationalists do things terrible towards people of color, and when we (we as people of color) draw attention to the issue of racism brought against us, thr comment automatically deflects "what about black on black crime?"

(Again there is no such thing as black on black crime, there is only crime, criminals of African-American origin do not attack other African-Americans based on race fyi).

Or as a reader of news articles and unfortunately a reader of yahoo articles, the comment section is filled with racism. I notice a lot of my fellow co-workers tend to ask stupid questions like "why do a lot of blacks complain about racism so much?"

I usually give off the sarcastic response stating that Jim Crow was only in the 1940's. I am 35, so the residual effects of racism are still there however I notice fellow white Americans don't want to discuss it in the sense of acknowledging the grievances of people of color.

Charlottesville, and now recent the young African-American soldier who died and whose wife is speaking out, I am reading online and hearing some offline comments, about blaming Antifa and more recently online at least, the recently deceased soldiers wife.

I am curious as a 35 year old black man who has had to answer for what other blacks do, and who call out what other blacks do, why aren't white Americans doing the same? It seems like a pot calling the kettle black type situation.

I'm a 36 year old African American woman, and I think today generations (twenty years ago on up) it's ignorance. I was at a train station one time coming from work. I get off the train and find I have ten cents short for the local bus. I'm a walker but I asked on lady, not thinking of skin color, if she had ten cents. I was in my early twenties and I think she her mid forties. She kneeled down, opened her hand with a lot of dollar bills, and I kid you not, said:

"I know people like you in other countries.... African areas... (she stutters) are poor. Here is some money to help you." I was shocked. She did not know.

A lot of people don't. Either that, or like my neighbor who is 41 now, I think, who was raised calling people n/, did not catch what she said while we talk until a bit after her second sentence. It's also where people are from too. Now, there are a lot of people from other countries and there is a detached view on "black folk" cause now people white and black are talking down to Muslims and now "hispanics."

Here is a good video if you've heard of Claude Anderson.

Some people "get it" and others do not. It's not wrong in and of itself. Both sides (from my experience) have their own bias about it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
[QUO s black fafsdfsdfsdfdfdf
You'd have to ask other white folks that. However coming from a different ethnic demographic I think either it is, or they refuse to not acknowledge it. This why I am starting to like antifa so much (without the violence) because young white students can acknowledge white nationalism as a problem and will stand against it.
I see plenty of acknowledgement by white folk (including older ones).
Perhaps you just want to see more than there is?

As for Antifa....those violent jerks are just a flash in the pan...acting out
of anger, with no useful function in the world. They make the Tea Party
look downright angelic.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
As a white man, I am not seeing the disproportionate answering of blacks for the crimes of other blacks that you imply in your question.

That is because you do not live in the inner city nor does the media actually think it's newsworthy to show African-Americans:

Hundreds of People Marched For Peace In Compton This Weekend, But You Probably Didn’t Hear About It On the News

But again, your comment proves my point. This thread isn't about violence between people of the same ethnic group, it is about whites acknowledging and accepting other whites as racist and it being an issue. There are more whites in the U.S (and other European countries) so the issue of racism is more prominent.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
The more I look into "identity politics" and its various guises, the less enthralled I am with it. In fact I think identity politics do a lot more harm than good.

Do I agree that some individuals are racist and/or bigoted? Of course! Do I believe in collective guilt? No I do not.

Also, who speaks for these minority groups? If I join a labor union, then I'm doing that voluntarily and I probably can vote for my representative. But - for example - who put BLM in charge of anything? And as a black man, are you happy to be included in a group you don't have any option of quitting? I can yell you that as a white man, the concept of "white privilege" galls me. This gets back to the absolutely horrible, immoral idea of collective guilt. Identity politics would have us believe that no matter how ethical, compassionate, unbiased, generous, and purely I live my life, I must sign on for my share of "white privilege". Horrible idea, just horrible.

I can tell you've never taken sociology...

When there is evidence that there is a minority group not treated as persons and a system created to sustain that, it is a problem. It is not only a problem for that group, but a problem for the whole of society. Malcolm X once said and I paraphrase this imperfectly that the black man cannot be blamed by his own prejudices/racism since he has experienced over 350 years of slavery and oppression. Point is, racism has a cyclical effect where the oppressed can be the oppressor in some arenas and that the generational resentment will continue until both parties can come to the table in a dialogue. If white people are afraid to acknowledge the racism presented by their own demographic then in a similar dialogue white people shouldn't question what goes on in the minority community. If I'm a criminal and I target you because you're white, you may think of me as a racist right? Now consider my reasons:

1) My father was killed by KKK

2) I'm poor

3) I would consider whites as prey considering the stereotype that whites are passive

4) Considering the racial profiling from cops and social injustices I may naturally resent whites as a whole.

So I disagree, this is a problem all around.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It has nothing to do with political correctness, it is about the fact that white nationalism and systemic racism as a true problem. Need I remind you a white woman recently died because of this?
I don't like white nationalists.
I disagree with them.
Should I complain about them more?
It just seems like another "those darn white people" threads.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I'd blame the media since I don't hear much about White Nationalist crimes against minorities. However it seems hard to find any pertinent data as well.

In Search of Data on White Supremacist Violent Crime

Generally it's a lone individual who's not associated with a White Nationalist group.

I would think the media would jump on this. I just don't recall any reports of criminal activity in the media associated with a White supremacist group.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
It has nothing to do with political correctness, it is about the fact that white nationalism and systemic racism as a true problem. Need I remind you a white woman recently died because of this?
Your arguments and statements are all over the place. I just respond to the part of your quote I show in my reply.

Can you succinctly tell me what we are supposed to be discussing exactly?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I'm a 36 year old African American woman, and I think today generations (twenty years ago on up) it's ignorance. I was at a train station one time coming from work. I get off the train and find I have ten cents short for the local bus. I'm a walker but I asked on lady, not thinking of skin color, if she had ten cents. I was in my early twenties and I think she her mid forties. She kneeled down, opened her hand with a lot of dollar bills, and I kid you not, said:

"I know people like you in other countries.... African areas... (she stutters) are poor. Here is some money to help you." I was shocked. She did not know.

A lot of people don't. Either that, or like my neighbor who is 41 now, I think, who was raised calling people n/, did not catch what she said while we talk until a bit after her second sentence. It's also where people are from too. Now, there are a lot of people from other countries and there is a detached view on "black folk" cause now people white and black are talking down to Muslims and now "hispanics."

Here is a good video if you've heard of Claude Anderson.

Some people "get it" and others do not. It's not wrong in and of itself. Both sides (from my experience) have their own bias about it.

Interesting....

Her altruism was indeed sincere (although poorly worded). But I don't think it's merely based on ignorance either. I think people either choose to confront the issue or not. For example, at ,y job patients who come in drunk or high call me the "N word" automatically I can look around the room and people's gaze are on me. People know that word is toxic but more often than not, they're looking for my reaction. I've never seen anybody white step in and come to my defense in that regard, it's about what this "potentially angry black man" will do. However I do think in some areas people are detached from other's oppression because it does not effect them directly.

DavidFirth

Demeaning racial comments by anyone, regardless of skin color, are totally unacceptable and totally uncalled for.

I don't put up with it. I don't have very many co-workers that do it but whenever I hear one do it I let them have it, regardless of what color they are and regardless of what color they are demeaning.

No one in my family does it. None of my friends do it, at least not around me.

In my church we have a Hispanic priest, a white priest and a black priest comes here from Kenya every other summer. They're all awesome. The black priest just got promoted to Monsignor and I can't wait to congratulate him next summer. We pay for him to come here, we pay for anything he needs because he's awesome and we love Him. He teaches us Swahili and Swahili customs.