• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is it a sin to have sex before marriage?

openyourmind

What this all boils down to is that it is a bad idea to have sex if the people who are having sex do not agree on why they are having sex.
If one person is just having fun and the other is under the impression that they are going to be together forever, then there is a problem.
But if both agree that they are in a lasting relationship or alternativle that they are just doing this for fun, there is no problem.

Does that meen that sex before marrige that doesn't cause pain is NOT a sin?
To bring just a bit of clarity. My belief in Marriage is the true bond of 2 souls the hearts beat for one another. When the other person is in pain you are in pain. When they are happy you are happy. It is something you can only find when you have spent some time with each other. Then you'll know the truth. Legally by laws of the land you must pay your fees and go before the court, so they can get thier money and put you on file. So if you are not going to spend the rest of your life with a person it is a sin. It's called Lust and it should be controled.

lunakilo

It was certainly a sin to have sex with my ex wives -- both before and after marriage.
That sounds complicated. how many are we talking about? Whe they tripping over each other? Did they get hurt? (if it caused pain that is bad) :)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I think that message is a bit oversold. Speaking for myself (and hypothetically, since I'm married with no plans to change this), my partner's sexual history would never be a "dealbreaker" either way. Whether she's slept with thousands of people or has never slept with anyone, if the connection is there, things will work out. And if the connection isn't there, things won't work even if she's got the exact right amount of sexual experience (if such a thing exists at all).
Dealbreaker? that's a very traditional way to look at your sex life, Christian even i would say. I've never been with a virgin, and I enjoyed a good sex life, with less issues to deal with in bed. I'm happy for your romantic success though.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Dealbreaker? that's a very traditional way to look at your sex life, Christian even i would say. I've never been with a virgin, and I enjoyed a good sex life, with less issues to deal with in bed. I'm happy for your romantic success though.

I'm confused. Isn't Penguin saying it would not be a dealbreaker?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I'm confused. Isn't Penguin saying it would not be a dealbreaker?
Yes. however I am as confused as you are where the whole 'dealbreaker' thing came from. as it wasn't what I was discussing at all. I was discussing sex with an experienced partner Vs. sex with a virgin partner, or no sexual experience.
However, now that it has been brought up I will actually argue about the whole 'dealbreaker' issue. what I would say is that I wouldn't approach the ordeal in the first place. I do tend to base a great part of my relationship on sexual activity, as in being regularly sexually active, as so did all the partners I've been with. and God knows I work to be fit in bed.

Last edited:

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Yes. however I am as confused as you are where the whole 'dealbreaker' thing came from. as it wasn't what I was discussing at all. I was discussing sex with an experienced partner Vs. sex with a virgin partner, or no sexual experience.
However, now that it has been brought up I will actually argue about the whole 'dealbreaker' issue. what I would say is that I wouldn't approach the ordeal in the first place. I do tend to base a great part of my relationship on sexual activity, as in being regularly sexually active, as so did all the partners I've been with. and God knows I work to be fit in bed.

Okay, I'm awake. Ah, I understand now about the dealbreaker. Back to the last line.

ConfusedKuri

It's not a sin, at least NOT to me.

As far as I'm concerned I assume there were plenty of reasons. Fist of all back then it was not as easy as it is today to determine e.g. paternity, so you might have end up confused on who's the actual father(if the child came fully after its mother).
Secondly there is economic reasons, father was the breadwinner, mother at home. Women rarely had a chance to make their own money, if they were abandonned they could either beg or prostitute themselves, not really the best options.

I guess today the idea that a woman has to be a virgin priour to marriage is more or less culturally motivated, although some religions still claim it's sinful to commit adultery.

crocusj

I see it differently. In the framework of the story, Adam does not only give death to humanity; he gives us life, both literally (by fathering humanity) and spiritually (by being responsible for our moral sense). Adam is the new Prometheus: he steals a prize from the God(s) and shares it, thereby bestowing humanity on human beings.

I never thought of it that way before. God's first sentient creation defies God, gets punished by God but succeeds despite Him through the force of his own humanity. Adam was prepared to put humanity before obedience to God even though he had direct contact with Him. What did Adam know that we do not? That it was imperative for Man to reject God in order to fulfil our human destiny. Forget Dawkins, Adam killed God right at the outset!

Looncall

Reason first: You cannot control yourself, Means you are loosing your will power by doing this.
Reason second: The face of sex is downwards, So the person who use to enjoy sex more than necessary can never learn to lift his/her energy upwards, So the "Soul" of such person can never come out from the gravitional force through which we are attached to this mother earth, In simple such person can never attain salvation even if he/she is helped by any master or guru.
Reason third: Somebody is looking for your virginity.

Kindly Note 1st: The usage of sex more than necessary is only bad, The reasonable contacts made for the sake of childrens or made after mentaining the sufficient time gap are not so harmful.
Kindly Note 2nd : Reason third is not applicable for the people who aspect virginity from others, Anyhow even than i will recommend if one can mentain, it is good because it gives many subtle benifits which are hard to explain in word.

_/\_
Chinu

The reason humans enjoy sex is that the pleasure helps to keep couples together. Originally, this likely was to aid in rearing children.

These days, couples need not have children at all, and some are unable to do so. Their sex life still helps to keep them together, however briefly.

The reason religions are so keen to make people feel guilty over their sexuality it that that guilt puts people under the power of clerics. The taboos of religions are either obviously needed for functioning societies or are aimed at instilling morbid feelings of guilt so that people are obedient to religious authorities.

In some religions, this is out of hand. Consider the terror muslims feel around male-female relationships, and the abuses committed in the polygamous fundamentalist LDS cult.