• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is Islam, Christianity etc homophobic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
There are a number of possible reasons. The ick factor may be one, but it may also be those religions often put an emphasis on families and reproduction, and strictly homosexual couples do not produce children. Or it may be that because Judaism began in a time when populations were small, and having children was essential for the survival of the group. Christianity got it's start being heavily oppressed, so again numbers were needed for the survival of the group.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist

Not really a good question. The religions themselves are neither. Some within those religions may be, but then again, many within those religions are very supporting as well.

Really, the question should be, why are people homophobic. Because it isn't just Christians and Muslims who are homophobic, but in fact, we find such people in all realms of life.

Ashir

Thought that's what you were doing.

No, I meant to ask what reasons were there.

There are a number of possible reasons. The ick factor may be one, but it may also be those religions often put an emphasis on families and reproduction, and strictly homosexual couples do not produce children. Or it may be that because Judaism began in a time when populations were small, and having children was essential for the survival of the group. Christianity got it's start being heavily oppressed, so again numbers were needed for the survival of the group.
Ah, a very valid reason, but I should have clarified; why are they still homophobic? Why do they hate gays?

Not really a good question. The religions themselves are neither. Some within those religions may be, but then again, many within those religions are very supporting as well.

Really, the question should be, why are people homophobic. Because it isn't just Christians and Muslims who are homophobic, but in fact, we find such people in all realms of life.
Did I read what I just read?! I'm not even going to reply to this

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie

He has a very good point. You seem to want to group all the followers of a couple of religions into a very narrow accusation.
Not all Christians and Muslims are homophobic, nor are all non-Christians/Muslims supportive of LGBT rights.

(And you did reply to it)

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Why not? It is very sound logic, and if you actually study Christianity or Islam a little further, you will see that many within those religions are very accepting and supporting of the GLBTQ community. There are a plethora of churches that even accept openly gay ministers. And as time goes on, the number of such churches is expanding.

Not to mention that much of the new literature on the subject, done by Christians, is very open to the GLBTQ community. There is a lot of literature on the subject of the Bible and homosexuality, and how it has been misrepresented and used for hate, when simply that shouldn't be the case. Not to mention that the biggest commandments, according to Jesus (and Paul supports this), is that one should love their neighbor, and that they should not judge others.

So your question simply is nothing more than a baseless attack that isn't taking into consideration all of the evidence to the contrary. Not to mention, that Christianity and Islam are inanimate objects, and since their adherents don't have a clear stance on the subject, to label either one as homophobic is ridiculous and illogical.

Again, the real question should be why are people homophobic, because it isn't just within religious circles that we see homophobic people.

Ashir

He has a very good point. You seem to want to group all the followers of a couple of religions into a very narrow accusation.
Not all Christians and Muslims are homophobic, nor are all non-Christians/Muslims supportive of LGBT rights.

(And you did reply to it)
The religions themselves, according to their respect texts, are homophobic.
I replied to the message, yes, but not the argument.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
The religions themselves, according to their respect texts, are homophobic.
I replied to the message, yes, but not the argument.
No they aren't. Neither one speaks about homosexuality, as the idea of homosexuality did not exist.

What the OT means by a man lying with a man is up for debate, and in fact, is being debated. When we see such an act, it is always in regards to rape, and subjugation. But it is in fact being debated. Not to mention, it is only meant for the Jews anyway.

As for the NT, what Paul is speaking about is also debated. But regardless of the debate, he doesn't condemn gays or lesbians. Actually, he states pretty clearly that we shouldn't judge others, as the members of the churches he's writing to also have committed the same acts (and he actually lists a lot of acts). So basically, your understanding of such texts simply is subpar here. Many Christians knowledge of the texts is also subpar.

As for the religions though, they are not constituted just from the texts. In fact, one does not even need to subscribe to all the texts, or everything in them. And many don't.

The scripture that they use do not define the religions. The adherents define the religion. And the fact is, there is no clear stance on the issue. So the question you pose simply is faulty.

Ashir

How are they not? Have you not read the texts for yourself?
And how did that imply any thought of mine apart from that the mentioned religions are homophobic?

Status
Not open for further replies.