• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is hypnotism a real thing?

Cooky

Veteran Member
It doesn't make any sense to my that hypnotism is real, yet science says it is.

What is hypnotism, why does it work, and is it related to the placebo effect. also, what is the next level of this magical power -will we be able to transfer thoughts and communicate subliminally in 3,000 years? Will we be able to see into the future?

Just... Why..?

Last edited by a moderator:

dianaiad

What is hypnotism, why does it work, and is it related to the placebo effect. also, what is the next level of this magical power -will we be able to transfer thoughts and communicate subliminally in 3,000 years? Will we be able to see into the future?

Just... Why..?

Huh.

Reminds me of the conversation going on about 'magic.'

Can't remember which of Murphy's war laws it is, but the quote goes: "if it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid."

We don't know why hypnotism works. However, it does. Mostly. I've never been hypnotized, so I don't know if it works on me, but given that I'm not unique, it probably would.

One could, given that we don't know HOW it works or WHY, that 'magic' is the go to explanation. Of course, saying that means that those who have problems with 'magic' can utterly discount hypnotism as a 'thing.'

Which of course would be silly, because it works.

In other words, 'if it's magic but it works, it ain't magic." It's 'advanced technology we don't understand yet." '

74x12

Just... Why..?
Same reason you can put a chicken in a trance easily like here. The human mind is obviously a lot stronger than a chicken's. But that doesn't mean it is without vulnerabilities.

Satan is a good hypnotists btw and has a lot of people convinced of things that aren't true. Only the truth can clear people's minds.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Just... Why..?
The reason why seems to be that the mind of people processes more than one thing at a time. One major accepted theory is that personality arises from the many images we have of ourselves, which we assemble into a tool to deal with life. Daily life and having one body makes us appear to have one soul, but we have many things going on in our minds at any moment. Therefore a hypnotist is able to distract us and to reveal some of those other processes, suppressing that wordless idea which is the self. That is one possibility.

Not everything people say about hypnotism is real. It is suggestibility that is usually triggered by physical exhaustion, and it can be merely the exhaustion of looking in an upward direction for too long. There are many ways to trigger it, and people differ in suggestibility and in what works on us.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Just... Why..?

I suppose it is possible. If one could really bypass your conscious awareness, you might get some thought/desire pushed into the unconscious mind.

I tried it but supposedly some folks can't be hypnotized. One's conscious awareness would have to be easily dispersed. Very hard for me to let go of conscious awareness.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I suppose it is possible. If one could really bypass your conscious awareness, you might get some thought/desire pushed into the unconscious mind.

I tried it but supposedly some folks can't be hypnotized. One's conscious awareness would have to be easily dispersed. Very hard for me to let go of conscious awareness.

Don't know which of your words caused it, but for a couple of minutes you had me clucking like a chicken....

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
People are suggestible... some people more than others, and others under different conditions than others. Relaxation and distraction of the conscious mind is one means; rhythmic dancing and drumming is another...there are lots of ways, and the professions of marketing and public relations are masters using the various ways to 'get into your mind.' So are storytellers, shamans and con artists. Hypnosis is one of those methods.

I've been hypnotized several times, and in fact I can hypnotize myself from time to time. But the little I know suggests that some people are difficult to hypnotize, and a psychologist friends (the time we got hypnotized together our junior year in high school ended up being one of the reasons he went into psychology as a major in college and a profession)...anyway, he tells me that many people who insist they cannot be hypnotized are actually among the easiest to hypnotize.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What's going on with the neurons though..? What triggers this domino effect of thousands upon thousands of neurons to alter themselves?

Is there a master-switch within the brain that can be turned on and off..?

...Why?
No alteration. Just focused attention. People go into this neurological state all the time without realizing it.

Cooky

Veteran Member
No alteration. Just focused attention. People go into this neurological state all the time without realizing it.

Sometimes when I look out a window, I freeze and just space off on a focused object... Does that mean I have hypnotized myself?

...Because I've never been hypnotized that I know of, so I'm curious.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Also, one time late at night at a restaurant, when I was really tired, I started staring out a window, and a woman sitting in front of the window got really mad at me and stood up and actually started screaming at me... I guess I didn't notice I was staring in her direction for too long.

...I hate when that happens. :)

Cooky

Veteran Member
It does work, but not like it does in the movies, and it actually can't do that much overall.

My brother claims that in high school a hypnotist had him on all four, barking like a dog in an auditorium in front of the whole school. He said he felt humiliated afterwards.

Could that be true?

Milton Platt

Just... Why..?
I don't see the connection.....

Milton Platt

I just dont understand the reality of it. In fact, I think people are just playing along, pretending to be hypnotized. Like a cute little game.

Oh, okay. Not sure myself, to tell you the truth. Power of suggestion? desire to just play along? Try Googling is hypnotism real or something like that. Stay away from "feel good" sights and new age mumbo jumbo. Look for research articles by reputable scientists.