• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is homosexuality wrong?

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
For those of you who believe that homosexuality is sinful/wrong, why do you believe so? What is sinful/wrong about it, and why?

Relatedly, some people, even those who do not have a problem with homosexuality (whether they identify as homosexual or not), do have something of a problem with bisexuality/pansexuality. If you do, why?

I appreciate that this is for many people an emotionally-charged topic. This is a debate forum, so all those participating in this thread or reading it should be prepared to be challenged and for a suitably robust exchange of views. But do please keep in mind that many of us identify as homosexual and it is a fundamental part of our identity. Some of us may also have been abused, persecuted and/or had some other kind of traumatic experience by virtue of our sexual orientation/sexuality. And by the same token, insofar as sexuality is central to many/most (all?) religions, and for many of us our religion is a fundamental part of our identity, please try to keep that in mind also. Many thanks.

I am pansexual.

sovietchild

In Russia they say its an addiction, I personally think its a mental problem. The real question is what is wrong with those people who practice homosexuality?

One thing leads to another. What's the next thing they gonna fight for? Will every movie in America have to have at list one homo? And after that your grandchildren will be watching homosexual cartoons! And then what?

rusra02

Premium Member
Homosexual acts are 'unnatural' and "obscene" according to the Bible. (Romans 1:26,27) Why? Homosexual and Lesbian acts were never intended by our Creator. They cannot produce offspring and God views these acts as detestable. ( Leviticus 18:22) Since Jehovah created mankind, I believe he has the right to make these decisions. As imperfect humans, we may have wrong desires, but God expects us to control our thinking, so as not to sin.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
In Russia they say its an addiction, I personally think its a mental problem. The real question is what is wrong with those people who practice homosexuality?

One thing leads to another. What's the next thing they gonna fight for? Will every movie in America have to have at list one homo? And after that your grandchildren will be watching homosexual cartoons! And then what?

Umm, there are already gay characters in cartoons or at least children's media. I mean it's not like particularly common, but you have shows like Steven Universe which has a very accepting message, if not allied to the LGBT cause and kids movies like Paranorman (which is awesome btw!!) that has at least one gay character. Disney has a strong Gay following and even though they are tentative about having any out gay characters in their movies, they are a pretty gay friendly company all things considered. Hell there are even the occasional all gay TV shows. Many movies have had gay characters for years (though the representation has certainly improved.)
I mean it's very slow goings and has to fight a lot of outdated hate even still. But, you know, getting there I suppose. Not really sure why that's a bad thing, tbh.
It just sort of is.

Last edited:

Sees

Dragonslayer
I think the most ideal position is simply not worrying about the sexual orientation of anybody else. Even if you personally dislike it or believe this or that God detests it.

Unless you are interested in a specific person - don't concern yourself with their sexual life, hobbies, eating habits, etc. Minding your business should be seen as more of a virtue than it typically is.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Umm, there are already gay characters in cartoons or at least children's media. I mean it's not like particularly common, but you have shows like Steven Universe which has a very accepting message, if not allied to the LGBT cause and kids movies like Paranorman (which is awesome btw!!) that has at least one gay character. Disney has a strong Gay following and even though they are tentative about having any out gay characters in their movies, they are a pretty gay friendly company all things considered. Hell there are even the occasional all gay TV shows. Many movies have had gay characters for years (though the representation has certainly improved.)
I mean it's very slow goings and has to fight a lot of outdated hate even still. But, you know, getting there I suppose. Not really sure why that's a bad thing, tbh.
It just sort of is.

I don't think those are necessarily gay people. I'm not married in my 35 and I only hang out with men. I kiss men too, hold their hands and call them darling. But I'm not gay :D

But in all honesty, Japanese anime does have that openly.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think those are necessarily gay people. I'm not married in my 35 and I only hang out with men. I kiss men too, hold their hands and call them darling. But I'm not gay :D

But in all honesty, Japanese anime does have that openly.

Yes, a lot of openly gay characters in anime were awkwardly dubbed out during the 90s anime boom. Japan is more progressive in that regard.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Homosexual acts are 'unnatural' and "obscene" according to the Bible. (Romans 1:26,27) Why? Homosexual and Lesbian acts were never intended by our Creator. They cannot produce offspring and God views these acts as detestable. ( Leviticus 18:22) Since Jehovah created mankind, I believe he has the right to make these decisions. As imperfect humans, we may have wrong desires, but God expects us to control our thinking, so as not to sin.
Frankly, I'm quite happy to ignore the sexuality advice from a god (or rather, some person purporting to speak for God) that endorses rape. To me, this is a big red flag that the person's moral sense is so out of whack that his opinion can be safely disregarded.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

The people qualified to assess whether or not it's a mental disorder, say that it is not a mental disorder.

There's nothing wrong with people who identify as homosexual.

Please tell me the rest of your post is a joke. (?)

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
That's weird since my lesbian cousin has her own offspring.

Oops.

Laika

Premium Member
For those of you who believe that homosexuality is sinful/wrong, why do you believe so? What is sinful/wrong about it, and why?

Relatedly, some people, even those who do not have a problem with homosexuality (whether they identify as homosexual or not), do have something of a problem with bisexuality/pansexuality. If you do, why?

I appreciate that this is for many people an emotionally-charged topic. This is a debate forum, so all those participating in this thread or reading it should be prepared to be challenged and for a suitably robust exchange of views. But do please keep in mind that many of us identify as homosexual and it is a fundamental part of our identity. Some of us may also have been abused, persecuted and/or had some other kind of traumatic experience by virtue of our sexual orientation/sexuality. And by the same token, insofar as sexuality is central to many/most (all?) religions, and for many of us our religion is a fundamental part of our identity, please try to keep that in mind also. Many thanks.

I am pansexual.

The issue with homosexuality is typically to do with viewing heterosexual relations as built on procreation and capable of making children. Heterosexual relationships can therefore be seen as fulfilling as biologically necessary role or one that it necessary for religious and social reasons as part of the family.
The flip side is the view that sex for pleasure is sinful or wrong, and as homosexuality does not produce children, it is wrong or unnatural or bad for the species or violates gods laws etc.